ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Muller Chokes

Post subject: Patterning Remington Nitro Gold Handicap 8s
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:54 am 
Field Grade

I patterned the Remington Nitro Golds 8 Shot in in my Browning 725 with U2 chokes and they were horrible. I was shooting them at 35 yards and I had holes in the pattern significantly larger than a standard clay in more than one place and there were areas where the pellets were pretty concentrated. Moving up to 25 yards helped close it down so at least with the Remingtons it appears that they are limited to distances no greater than 25-30 yards.

This evening I’m going to try Winchester AA and Rios and see if there is any improvement. I’ll also try the U3, U1 and U0 with all ammo.

Has anyone noticed similar results with the Remingtons?

Browning 725 Field 20 ga
Weatherby Orion SKB 12 ga

Post subject: Re: Patterning Remington Nitro Gold Handicap 8s
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:58 am 
Tournament Grade

I have lost faith in all things from present day Remington. I believe their quality control is the worse I have ever seen or heard about.

s/f Steve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:36 am 
Presentation Grade

IME, 35-yards is a tad on the long side for a U2 to expect consistent, hard breaks. You might find that the shell. isn’t the issue. Try a U3 and see if it makes a difference. Every gun is different, though. Try all of the different loads that you consider acceptable and use what works best. In my case, it’s Win AA’s. There was a difference for me. YMMV.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:59 pm 
Field Grade

Diddle wrote:
IME, 35-yards is a tad on the long side for a U2 to expect consistent, hard breaks. You might find that the shell. isn’t the issue. Try a U3 and see if it makes a difference. Every gun is different, though. Try all of the different loads that you consider acceptable and use what works best. In my case, it’s Win AA’s. There was a difference for me. YMMV.

Winchester AA did well and getting about 81% in a 30 inch circle at 35 yards with the U2. Although there were a couple holes in the pattern it was nothing like the Remingtons. At 25 and 30 yards the U2s patterned nicely.

With the U3 there is about 91% of the pellets in a 30 inch circle also with a couple of small holes,

Browning 725 Field 20 ga
Weatherby Orion SKB 12 ga

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:18 am 
Presentation Grade

Diddle wrote:

U2 will crush clays out to 50 yards no problem. Try that U2 at 35 yards with a 1oz 8 1300 Fiocchi Super Crusher. It's all about the hardness of the shot and the quality of it.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:07 pm 
Crown Grade

Sadly Remington quality has gone way down in recent times. I bought several cases of STS and Nitro's. Over 50% of the shells had an opened crimp and pellets were filling my vest pockets.
I then put them through my chronograph and was shocked to see up to 125 FPS deviation shot to shot.
Also patterns were very inconsistent.
Sad to see, but sh*t happens when companies sell.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:44 am 
Diamond Grade

gdub41 wrote:
Diddle wrote:

U2 will crush clays out to 50 yards no problem. Try that U2 at 35 yards with a 1oz 8 1300 Fiocchi Super Crusher. It's all about the hardness of the shot and the quality of it.

IIRC Rem Nitros/STS are the highest antimony shot out there.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:11 pm 
Field Grade

Jimmy Muller wrote:
Sadly Remington quality has gone way down in recent times. I bought several cases of STS and Nitro's. Over 50% of the shells had an opened crimp and pellets were filling my vest pockets.
I then put them through my chronograph and was shocked to see up to 125 FPS deviation shot to shot.

Jimmy,

What brand is your favorite?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:12 pm 
Crown Grade

Cajunboy7 wrote:
Jimmy Muller wrote:

Jimmy,

What brand is your favorite?

B&P