ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Muller Chokes

Post subject: Re: Seeing the wisdom of U2/U2 for SC
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

Removed

DT-11 Sptg Black B-Fast - DT-11 Sptg B-Fast - 692 Black B-Fast - A400 Sptg Black - A400 Multitarget - CG Invictus VII - Browning A5 Ultim. - CZ Sharptail Target - TriStar TT-15 CTA DeLuxe 32"/34" - Rem. 11-87 SP 25.5"

Last edited by Alex D on Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:26 pm 
Presentation Grade

dpe2002 wrote:
I agree that U2 is not a tight constriction choke.....but.....it is an excellent choke for use on a typical sporting clays set.

I use U2 frequently and in my A-400, it patterns pretty much dead on what I would expect from a LM choke even though the U2 constriction of .012 is slightly more open than LM.

I have shot competition rounds all over the Northeast including Addieville and M&M and even on those big boy grounds, the U2 is very appropriate on a large percentage of targets / stations. When I feel I need a little more, I put in the U3.

As was said earlier, it is personal choice and you should run with what you have the most confidence in.

nailed it in this post.

I've been shooting a U2 for a long time, started in my 391 Teknys, then in my A400 xcel, and now I shoot two U2's exclusively in my 692.

The U2 can break stuff alot farther then most guys are willing to push, to those of us that have, and do, I'm not even shocked by the breaks I get. Also barrel bore diameter plays a large part in which Muller choke to use, and as well as gun brand also. My buddy shoots a Blaser F3 and he can't use a 2 cause it's simply way too tight.

I have two U3's and when I want to prove a point and or get mad, and or need to get some confidence back in the gun, I screw them in and go practice, but U2 is pretty much welded into the ends of my barrels.

For the money, and for the quality of product you get, I will not shoot anything but a Muller choke. As a matter of fact my factory optima HP chokes have never been shot out of my 692, I moved them to the gun case and left them there since the day I brought that bad boy home.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have Mullers for all of my competition guns (Beretta OCHP, CG Maxis and CZ/TriStar both Beretta Mobil). I know Jimmy's reasoning on better patterns with less constriction etc. but with all due respect I don't buy that. I absolutely love Mullers and have a ton of money in my sets. To me Mullers are the best chokes on the market because of their material and they are the easiest to clean by far. They do provide more parallel bore than the OEM manufacturer chokes. You can see that Muller choke designs that are usually shorter designs from the factory (like BER Mobil) have longer extensions to get to a certain length of the parallel part of the constricted bore inside the tube than for instance Muller BER OHP chokes which are longer choke tube designs from the factory so the extension is a longer than the OEM tube, but not that much of additional extension is needed to get the desired parallel bore length of the constricted bore inside the Muller tube. That to me is it and it may well provide improved patterns with less constriction. I have a very expensive and highly accurate shotgun bore gage and measured all my chokes and barrels to determine actual constriction since barrels and choke tubes can vary by two thousands. Attached a chart of actual barrel and choke measurements. YOu can see that even Mullers vary: My Muller OHP are at least all the same diameter for the same constriction, but my Muller Maxis and Muller Mobil vary by 0.002 between two chokes of the same constriction. There is no secret sauce to the Mullers but they are still the best chokes on the market for me because of their material. I only use the Mullers equivalent to stock constrictions I need. I sold all my U0 because they are basically CYL with .002 constriction. In skeet I do best with U1s that are equivalent to OEM US skeet constriction (.005 constriction) and on SC I nail everything from 15 to 65 yeards with two U2s that are equivalent to OEM IC constriction (.012 constriction), just a tad tighter tha IC and that is actually perfect. Only my dedicated trap gun has U3 (.022 constriction) in there and they work well for me from any line. In 43 years of target shooting I have learned that an IC constriction is the choke for 95% of all of my shooting. In SC and skeet I only need IC; only for trap you might want a little more but a U2 will also do except from the deeper handicap lines. If I had to chose one choke for all of my shooting I would always go to IC. All of my Briley's sub gauge tubes have only IC chokes in them as well. I even love IC for .410 skeet better than SK. If Jimmy would make a constriction between U2 and U3 I would certainly get that tube. U0 and U4 are useless for me.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DT-11 Sptg Black B-Fast - DT-11 Sptg B-Fast - 692 Black B-Fast - A400 Sptg Black - A400 Multitarget - CG Invictus VII - Browning A5 Ultim. - CZ Sharptail Target - TriStar TT-15 CTA DeLuxe 32"/34" - Rem. 11-87 SP 25.5"