ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: why wee need eye dominance?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:07 am 
Field Grade

Phill

What is the difference between the dominate eye and non dominate eye considering that they are anatomically identical?
They have the same representation at the brain level and both send equal visual information to the brain. Ex look at an object. Block the right eye and you will see the object then block
the left eye and you will see the object the same way( both eyes are healthy)

So, the brain is not picking up one eye over the other to be dominant like many people thing it is.

What makes the difference?..and why we need eye dominance anyway?

Post subject: Re: why wee need eye dominance?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:36 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Welcome to shotgunworld holdpoint.

I hope Phil doesn't mind me chiming in. There is a difference in latency (speed of the impulse to the visual cortex) and amplitude (amount). We use a Diopsys VEP (Visual Evoked Potential)and ERG (Electroretinalgram) in the office for mainly Glaucoma and Macula assessment. It measures function. ( I have a reputation of sneaking in to do some of my shooters lol) I have yet to see a scan that doesn't support the fact that the dominant eye picks up the fixation first and then the other eye follows. Below is a link to a study that supports this. Just read the conclusion Hope I was able to help. Rich

http://iosrjournals.org/iosr-jdms/paper ... 241924.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:49 am 
Field Grade

Idoc, thank you for your answer. I understand the process and I can't argue with it.

However, what makes me to see a straight barrel when I mount the gun on my dominate eye side and I see a crooked gun when I mount it on the other side.

Again, Why we need eye dominance anyway?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:53 pm 
Limited Edition

For a same side eye/shoulder shooter, when the gun is properly fitted the pupil of the dominant eye is centered right down the rib/barrel. As such you see a straight line down your plane of vision. If you are cross dominant, then your dominant eye is not aligned the rib, but off to the side and you see the side of the gun instead.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:43 am 
Field Grade

I see the side of the gun anyway with the non dominate eye and I see two barrels, why?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:25 pm 
Diamond Grade

I know that this is an old thread but cross firing and cross dominance seem to be quite prevalent now days. If you see the side of your barrels, it appears your off eye is taking control.
Have you tried closing the off eye to see what happens?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:01 am 
Limited Edition

I don't know why you see a crooked barrel when you are on the off side but, I suspect it has to do with astigmatism or some other visual "thing" that comes about because our eyes are round.

Some shooters can see a crooked barrel when looking down the gun from their normal shooting side.

I can tell you what I cannot tell you why.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:06 am 
Limited Edition

viking wrote:
I know that this is an old thread but cross firing and cross dominance seem to be quite prevalent now days. If you see the side of your barrels, it appears your off eye is taking control.
Have you tried closing the off eye to see what happens?

Closing the off eye is one of the "solutions" for cross-firing. It is deemed the less desirable because you lose so much depth perception when you close the off-eye completely but, many times it is the best solution because some shooters will cross-fire even when they have their lens taped over 100%

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:33 am 
Presentation Grade

Thanks Phil,

Your forum and posts have been helpful to me. Cross-firing became an issue for me around a year ago, but I suspect it might have been longer than that given subtle inconsistencies in my game that I never could explain but never thought much about. I'm a skeet shooter and when I got to around 93-95, I was happy with that, but could improve no further regardless of practice regimen. I took some time off and when I returned, I couldn't get out of the 80's - the targets I always struggled with became almost un-hittable and I couldn't figure out why. I taped my non-dominant eye and my scores, after about 5 weeks, are coming back up significantly. Consistency is improving and now, when I miss, I know why. Psychologically, that's important.

Why do we have a dominant hand? Foot? Who knows - probably some evolutionary thing that was designed to keep us from being eaten by angry, hungry animals :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:29 am 
Limited Edition

Also remember that sometimes shooters need to close the off eye and I wonder if that might be the case with you.

It is something I would recommend testing.
Good Luck with your journey.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:35 am 
Diamond Grade

I’ve mentioned this before. I discussed this same topic with my eye doctor. His favorite theory is eye dominance is established with nursing babies, looking at mother.

Seems one eye is generally more “obstructed” than the other, it becomes dominant.

Maybe he was pulling my leg, but I’ve never known him to have much of a sense of humour. I know when he asked me to read the bottom line and I said:

P R I N T E D I N U S A

He didn’t even smile. Maybe he’d heard it before.