PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:49 pm 
Crown Grade

Damn... I miss that show. :(

If ever a day you come upon the necessary funding, BRING IT BACK TO LIFE {hs#

Post subject: Re: Hey Marty, how is Bruce and where has he landed
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:22 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Keep your fingers crossed. I'm working on something.....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:48 pm 
Crown Grade

Marty, is it just me or does it seem that outdoor hunting shows depicting deer hunting seem like a dime a dozen these days. I would put it at at least 80% of all hunting shows these days. I realize the popularity of deer hunting across the country is extremely popular, but do we really need this many?

Bird hunting is still quite popular last time I checked, I just can't figure out if it's the network or the sponsors that are driving the type of shows that we end up with. The Shotgun Journal while probably followed by a smaller niche of viewer still had a lot of appeal to anyone who bird hunts or shoots a shotgun. To me it was a one of a kind show which blended shotguns, shotgun hunting and the shotgun shooting sports all rolled into one program and I am perplexed as to why sponsors were reluctant to sign on?

Yes, Beretta has their namesake show and Benelli and Browning each had one at one time as well. Personally, what the Shotgun Journal brought to the table that made it so special to me was the exotic locales. Places that the average Joe many never get a chance to hunt, a little fantasy if you will. We in a sense had a chance to live thru the show what it would be like to shoot birds at some of the very best wingshooting destinations across the world. It's a shame the many sponsors in the shooting industry couldn't see it that way.

I hope things may change in the future, but if they don't, having the Shotgun Journal episodes available on DVD would be the next best thing. Tell Bruce we miss you guys together.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:07 pm 
Presentation Grade

I work for a conservation based not for profit that will remain nameless as technical field staff. We typically film deer and turkey hunting episodes. I was involved with trying to film a grouse and woodcock episode in the Northeast last year. Filming wing shooting is definitely more challenging. Marty and Bruce are about the only two that I can think of that have done it right on a long-term basis. The Tom Huggler video series is also great but that was a four episode gig.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:28 pm 
Crown Grade

I see Bruce is filming a show on the World English in San Antonio this weekend. You can see his commentary at the shotgun Journal website. I'm taking this is produced for online purposes only?

Boy.. it sure brings back the memories. I remember when you guys were at the World English a bunch of years ago filming an episode of SJ.

First time I have seen the new look of the website, I like it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:31 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

The main reason that deer hunting shows are so prevalent is because there are more deer hunters than any other type of hunting. There's something about big antlers that draws an audience, and frankly most of these shows are all about killing the biggest buck. I don't think you ever heard Bruce or me brag about how many birds we shot, and believe me when I say that we shot a lot of them.

The Shotgun Journal series was really more about the art and sometimes the science of wingshooting brought to the audience from great shooting venues around the world. A big part of what we did was to showcase the people and places more than the great shooting.

We were once told that as good as our show was, the lowest rated deer hunting show on the Outdoor Channel had better ratings numbers. They loved our show, but they wanted more deer hunting since that was what the biggest part of their viewership liked the most. I totally agree that there are too many of those testosterone filled programs featuring Joe Blow hunter and the monster bucks where he is hunting. Since trail cams have become so popular, most of the deer that some shows harvest have already been given a name. It's rare to see a show from Texas that doesn't have a deer eating corn from the ground.

I can tell you that it is a lot easier to get sponsorship for a deer show than for a wingshooting show, and sponsorship is what makes shows happen. The networks don't pay producers for programming. The shows have to pay the network for the privilege of being on TV. Bruce and I had to sell the sponsorships and that's not what we do best. As a result the show went away. The industry companies started doing their own shows with their own chosen people (some movie and sports stars) and that took money out of the budget that at one time came our way. Outdoor TV is a much tougher business than most people know. That's why you see shows come and go. We also spoke with some TV hosts that said they were paying to be on TV out of their own pocket. They just wanted to go hunt a lot of places for free or for a greatly reduced price since they were filming the hunt.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:14 pm 
Limited Edition

Well said Marty, as it is the ugly truth. It's a popularity contest with big game and big money ruling the air waves. Preach on brother!!

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:22 pm 
Presentation Grade

It always strikes me as funny as bird hunters are viewed as "white collar" and deer and turkey hunters are at times viewed as " blue collar". The truth is that both can be either. Wonder if the perception has anything to do with the easy of entrance into the sport. Which is also a funny thing as anyone over 50 probably got their hunting start as a small game hunter. Many hunters younger an 50 probably got their hunting start from deer hunting.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:54 pm 
Crown Grade

[quote="Uggie78"]It always strikes me as funny as bird hunters are viewed as "white collar" and deer and turkey hunters are at times viewed as " blue collar". The truth is that both can be either. Wonder if the perception has anything to do with the easy of entrance into the sport. Which is also a funny thing as anyone over 50 probably got their hunting start as a small game hunter. Many hunters younger an 50 probably got their hunting start from deer hunting.

That last part is an interesting observation that is very likely true in many parts of the country. It's a shame that many of those getting into hunting these days have fewer options than those of us "old and tired" hunters enjoyed. In most of the South, where I grew up hunting, wild quail and healthy populations of woodcock are pretty much things of the past. Sad that so many will never fully appreciate what they have missed. On the plus side though, deer, turkeys, nuisance geese, and doves abound. Deer hunting is pretty much a year-round sport in North Carolina. Unfortunately, thousands are taken with a hood ornament. Since nothing stays the same, we all have to adapt and move on. I hate that Shotgun Journal was a casualty of these changes though. It was a classy show presented by two classy sportsmen and wingshooters.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:09 pm 
Presentation Grade

Very true think about it this way, less than a generation ago a 14 year old boy and a dog could walk their backyard coverts with a single shot 20 ga and maybe put up a few birds after school. Nowadays a boy walking in the woods with a gun merits a neighbor calling the police. What you said about The Shotgun Journal is right on the money, a better show about wing shooting and the shotgun sports cannot be found.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:36 pm 
Crown Grade

Maybe it is a "white collar" vs "blue collar" mentality. Lets face it joe blue collar who goes out to the back forty to shoot a pheasant or to the local wetlands to scratch down a duck or two, really has no concept of a driven pheasant shoot in Hungary or rock pigeon shooting in Africa. He could really could care less. He's the typical hunter who pulls his trusty shotgun out a few times a year then back into the case until next year. Nothing wrong with that, but I'll bet that same Joe blue collar plans a year in advance for the upcoming gun deer opener up at deer camp with 10 other guys to make a week out of it. There are a lot of Joe blue collars out there....

Let's face it Shotgun Journal, as good as it gets with regards to wingshooting, will appeal more to the affluent crowd, sadly so, but true I'm afraid.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

Great points. I would guess a show that did feature hunts to Africa or driven birds in England would appeal to upscale sponsors like Holland and Holland, Purdy, Caesar Guerini, Beretta, Rizzini, Filson, etc... I however have no background in seeking sponsors so that position is pure speculation and since most wing shooting shows don't seem to last all that long may very possibly be incorrect assumptions

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:24 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Good points across the board guys. Bruce and I really tried to mix up our shows by featuring hunts that everyone could do to those that only a select few could do. We usually scheduled a trip south of the Equator because those hunts took place in our summer, giving us a head start on post production to get shows ready for first quarter. If all we did was hunt birds in the fall, we would not have time to get the shows edited, and we'd be living on the road. Trust me, the travel sucked. Getting on and off of airplanes with camera gear, lots of clothes and firearms, renting vehicles that won't hold all the gear and sleeping in too many different beds is not as much fun as some may think. Don't get me wrong, I'd do it all over again, but it really is work.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:34 pm 
Crown Grade

MartyFischer wrote:
Good points across the board guys. Bruce and I really tried to mix up our shows by featuring hunts that everyone could do to those that only a select few could do. We usually scheduled a trip south of the Equator because those hunts took place in our summer, giving us a head start on post production to get shows ready for first quarter. If all we did was hunt birds in the fall, we would not have time to get the shows edited, and we'd be living on the road. Trust me, the travel sucked. Getting on and off of airplanes with camera gear, lots of clothes and firearms, renting vehicles that won't hold all the gear and sleeping in too many different beds is not as much fun as some may think. Don't get me wrong, I'd do it all over again, but it really is work.

Tell you what, if you get the show cranked up again I'll gladly tag along to help carry your stuff, test guns and ammunition, be your food taster, etc. Just let me know whether to pack for warm or cold weather. :D

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:50 am 
Presentation Grade

Wonder how the advancements in the Internet have changed things as far as the production costs of a wing shooting show. A good example would be Bird Dogs Afield with Paul Fuller. It seems to be a lower cost web production show with several big name sponsors. Paul always delivers good information but doesn't have nearly the screen presence (or perhaps the editor) that Marty and Bruce do on the Shotgun Journal. A web based production with sponsors wouldn't have to fight the rating battle that a show on OLN etc...

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:26 am 
Limited Edition

Well--it's been 6 years since this thread had some action, so I thought I'd bring it to the top! I've searched everywhere for some of the old Shotgun Journal TV episodes and cannot find them. We were hoping 6-7 years ago that they'd be available to purchase, but I've never seen that option available. The wing shooting episodes and This Old Gun series would be nice to have to watch every so often. They were instrumental in me going to Mexico--Argentina and Uruguay for unrivaled wing shooting opportunities over the last 20 years. Marty or anyone--If you know about a source for these, please let us all know. And Marty--if you see or talk to Bruce again--tell him that you and he have legions of fans in the uplands and lowlands--all over the world. Regards--Bill Davis

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:12 pm 
Crown Grade

+1 {RO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:49 am 
Field Grade

I always enjoyed their shooting tips on breaking clay birds from various angles. I too, miss that show. Luckily, I did record a few episodes that I still enjoy watching. Marty, you and Bruce were (are) the best. Best wishes, always.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:52 am 
Field Grade

P.S. I also enjoyed watching Marty on a long forgotten show called, Direct Hit. Do you remember doing that series of shows Marty?