ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: World Cup Finals Change
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:14 pm 
Crown Grade

After the qualifying rounds all semi-finalists scores are reset to zero, so a person that shot higher in the qualifying rounds will be set even score wise with a person that shot a lesser qualifying score.

The target sequence has changed too.

Skeet semi-finalists and finalists will compete on stations 3, 4, 5 and then back to 4, shooting a double and a reverse double at each station, for a total of 16 targets.

Semi-finalists compete on a reduced number of stations and targets. After the semi-finals, the top-2 advance to the Gold medal match, duelling for the highest step of the podium. On the other side, the third and fourth ranked semi-finalists enter the Bronze medal match, fighting neck and neck for the third step of the podium.

Interesting.

NSCA #551026

FORUMS are for ENTERTAINMENT ONLY. They don't teach shooting!

{RO

Post subject: Re: World Cup Finals Change
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

They made the "luck" factor a much larger part of the equation than it was, and than it should be.

Theoretically, if you're down to the last few targets, and have shot a good enough qualifying score to make it in the top 6 already (meaning it is at that point mathematically impossible for you to not make it in), you may as well just forfeit your last few targets and save your energy.

It also changes the pressure dynamic greatly. If you get down to the final 2 in the gold medal match, you KNOW you're going to walk away with at least silver, and if you're a new comer or someone without a lot of experience, you may let your guard down a little with that in the back of your mind.

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:28 am 
Tournament Grade

Why bother with the semis and medal matches? Put all six finalists into a shoot-off right from the start.

ISSF idiots failed to understand that they shoot so many targets to find the most consistent (=best) shooters. Having your lead removed after qualification is just stupid and turns the finals into a game of luck.
This also made world records pointless unless they change it to include every hit target in the competition (quali + semi + medal match + possibly all shoot-offs).

No matter how hard they try, they will never be able to turn shooting into 100m sprint.

Tazza and Hancock both shot a 123 in Acapulco quali and had a three target lead over the guy in third place. Hancock won gold but Tazza ended up in 6th place even though he had the second highest total number of hits in the competition after the semifinal.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:37 am 
Presentation Grade

Viper8 wrote:
Why bother with the semis and medal matches? Put all six finalists into a shoot-off right from the start.

ISSF idiots failed to understand that they shoot so many targets to find the most consistent (=best) shooters. Having your lead removed after qualification is just stupid and turns the finals into a game of luck.
This also made world records pointless unless they change it to include every hit target in the competition (quali + semi + medal match + possibly all shoot-offs).

No matter how hard they try, they will never be able to turn shooting into 100m sprint.

Tazza and Hancock both shot a 123 in Acapulco quali and had a three target lead over the guy in third place. Hancock won gold but Tazza ended up in 6th place even though he had the second highest total number of hits in the competition after the semifinal.

the real story is Gilligan. He made the final in the 6th position with a 119 and then got hot. He ended up finishing 2nd. It is his best result ever. His previous best was a bronze in the European Championships as a junior. I shot with him in a competition in the NL back in 2010 and he did ok there with 112/125 in high winds and clouds but this score is his best that I have ever seen him do.

I don't have a problem with the new format. Why should what you did in the prelims count for the final? How many times have you seen a track and field athlete or a swimmer break the world record in the prelims only to add to his time in the finals and finish out of the medals? you have to win when it counts and nothing counts more than a head to head competition. Besides, this format favors guys like me because I tend to do well in such events. I have never lost a shoot off. I was tied for 6th place once to get into a finals at SSC Schale and I got to go first in a doubles shoot off at 4. I stacked them, shooting the first bird about 6 feet before the center stake and the second bird exactly on top of it. The other guy quaked at seeing this and missed one of his shots. I have never been able to replicate the fete again but when it counts, I seem to be able to step up my game.

NRA Life Member