ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Low 7 and where to hold the eyes
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:53 am 
Tournament Grade

Hi,

Glad to see this form. Need some advice. Low 7 is supposed to be an easy target but it gets the best of me. I rush it, mess up my mount and often shoot over it (our skeet setup has the both low and high house birds much lower than regulation 15 feet at the center stake, so its easy to shoot over a straight away.)

I currently look straight out over the barrels to where I think the bird will be when I shoot it. I'm thinking that this is part of my problem. Where is the best place to put the eyes on this shot?

Also any other advice appreciated.

20 ga.

Post subject: Re: Low 7 and where to hold the eyes
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

20 ga. wrote:
Hi,

Glad to see this form. Need some advice. Low 7 is supposed to be an easy target but it gets the best of me. I rush it, mess up my mount and often shoot over it (our skeet setup has the both low and high house birds much lower than regulation 15 feet at the center stake, so its easy to shoot over a straight away.)

I currently look straight out over the barrels to where I think the bird will be when I shoot it. I'm thinking that this is part of my problem. Where is the best place to put the eyes on this shot?

Also any other advice appreciated.

20 ga.
You're doing it mostly right. Look straight out over the barrel but not at the bead. Soft focus on the sky or background above the barrel, call the bird and kill it as soon as you see it clearly, probably 2/3 out or maybe right over the stake. On the double you'll be right there to pick up the incoming high bird.

It doesn't matter if the bird is coming out high or low, as long as it's the same every time. Shooting with a pre-mounted gun at the correct angle the bird should come out from your side and appear right over the barrel.

Last edited by Cerberus on Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:25 am 
Tournament Grade

Cerberus,

Thanks. I guess I'll have to work on my mount. I use a 6 1/2 lbs gun, which doesn't help.

20 ga.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:40 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

20 ga. wrote:
Cerberus,

Thanks. I guess I'll have to work on my mount. I use a 6 1/2 lbs gun, which doesn't help.

20 ga.
On station 7 (and 1) gun weight doesn't matter as there is very little gun movement. On H1 & L7 there is really no side-to-side motion, and on the doubles, if you break the outgoing bird in the right place the incoming will be right there for you to pick up and track in to the break point and the swing is much easier than on 3,4 & 5, at least for me.

What gun are you using? One of my favorite 20 gauge guns is my Mossberg SA-20, and it's right about 6.5 lbs. I have a Remington 1100 LT-20 that comes in about almost a pound heavier and it's a smoother swinging gun but the Mossberg is so light and fast it's a joy to shoot and I use it a lot more often.

Last edited by Cerberus on Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

Right now I am using my CZ Ringneck sxs 20 ga. but at other times and seasons a Rem 1187 20 ga. in either 28" or 23" barrels. Love the dynamics of the 1100 series and the soft shooting. Haven't tried the Mossberg yet. I seldom use anything other than 3/4 oz. of #9 shot. Its a cost savings and makes things more challenging.

Thanks for the insights.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

One of the mistakes that I often make on the easier outgoing semi straightaway shots is, I lift my eyes but not my gun. Although when I do this I will shoot under the bird. My eyes hit it, but not my shot. I have to work at keeping my head in the gun and my eyes over the barrel. You think of the shot as easy and you just tend to relax on these shots.