ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Which choke for international skeet
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:05 pm 
Presentation Grade

Which choke do international skeet shooters use? Is there a preferred choke or is it mostly an individual preference?

Post subject: Re: Which choke for international skeet
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I haven't heard or read anything about choke selection the top ISSF skeet shooters use.
I presume they'd all have different ideas based on the philosophy's of their coaches, combined with there personal experience.
The longest "in bounds" (legal) shot distance from station #4 is approx 33yrd which, is the shortest of all the stations except st #8.
Stations 1,2,6 & 7 are the longest possible shot distances at approx 42 yrds or, just a little less than the base cord length.
If you watch the good ISSF shooters, they hit their targets at around the 1/2 way mark for the 1st shot of the doubles & about 3/4 baseline with the 2nd of the doubles.
This equates to 18-25 yrds for the 1st & 25 to 35 yrds for the 2nd of the pair.
They are limited to 24 gram loads so I'd imagine they use # 9 shot with a choke that delivers as wide & even a pattern as is possible at those distances.
Some may choke down a little for their own reasons but, they'd all be trying to achieve the widest, most even & effective pattern possible.
The Russian Olympic team used the Tula choke system which was said to deliver a wider than cyl pattern, however, I think this was before the 24 gram limit was introduced.
As far as finding out what the top competitors use, I think is chasing after the wind.
Some may be forth coming, some not, some may be honest & some not &, unless they remove the chokes & show you, I personally wouldn't bet my life on what they may tell you.
This is not to suggest that they are dishonest or underhanded, however, just as with any other high level sport, competitors & teams keep their cards close to their chest.
My choice would be cyl or "Beretta special skeet" which is just a tad more constriction than cyl choke. Same choke for both Bbls.

Regards.......................SoT

Sydney J. Harris

Last edited by son of thurlo on Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:49 pm 
Crown Grade

Not sure what is popular in Iskeet, I just throw in a pair of IC's whether American or International and go at it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:35 pm 
Field Grade

Chokes are often changed for the finals, which involves reverse pairs on stations 3 and 5. The second target can be relatively long range by skeet standards and many top level shooters change to 1/4 choke or sometimes more for the second barrel and 8 shot too.

For the qualifiying rounds. with no reverse pairs, skeet and skeet is enough for many.