ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Method on doubles
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:38 pm 
Diamond Grade

What method are the Olympic shooters using? Sustained lead, spot shooting, or swing through, that allows them to break the targets so fast.

Post subject: Re: Method on doubles
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:55 pm 
Field Grade

My disclaimer: I'm not a serious competition shooter and enjoy the process of trying new methods to develop my own style. That said, Vincent Hancock IS a multi-time Olympic Champion: http://www.shootingusa.com/PRO_TIPS/USA ... mu2-5.html

From the above, Hancock prefers a sustained lead. It is hard to say (at least for me) what method a shooter uses just by watching them on YouTube videos so I can't speculate on any other top shots.

I prefer using a sustained lead method; that has proven to be the most reliable/consistent for me as it seems the most natural to mount directly into the required lead.

The speed comes from having perfect hold points and mounting perfectly into the break zone and pulling the trigger at the perfect time. Practice makes for all that perfection; someday I hope to get there myself :lol:

Post subject: Re: Method on doubles
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:38 am 
Limited Edition

Dickgtax,
maintained lead is the basic method now used by many Olympic shooters.
Here http://www.issf-sports.org/theissf/academy/stepbystep/en.ashx you can find a useful illustration of the modern method by Tonino Blasi, one of the greatest coaches of the discipline.

That said, for some doubles of Olympic Skeet like in station 4, for the second target isn't uncommon to be forced to use swing through if you are not quick enough, the same with the singles on station L6 or H2, even if your eyes doesn't seem to realize it......

(Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI)