ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Humbled today trying almost the real game
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

First off I shoot American skeet and am our clubs chairman. So to change things up I printed up the basic course of fire for Olympic skeet and headed up to our range. I handed one of our members the sheet of firing instructions and two of us gave it a try. I'm not a great shooter to begin with as I have spinal cord damage, combat disabled and old. Now I couldn't speed up the targets as others were shooting regular skeet. So the other member shoots low gun normally and shot a 20 first time doing doubles in middle stations, me I managed a 13. Yet to my surprise I did get a few doubles at the middle stations. I originally predicted I would break 8. After we tried it other members did also, all and all I brought something different to the table.

Post subject: Re: Humbled today trying almost the real game
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:57 pm 
Field Grade

Glad to see someone try out the international course of fire! I have a hard time convincing anyone to try low gun, let alone doubles on 3-4-5 as part of a regular round.

The way I see it, it will make a better shooter in the long run and it gets you some practice on 3-4-5 doubles without having to take a field up by yourself.

Heres to hoping you can keep convincing and converting more to try out low gun.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:02 am 
Tournament Grade

It is very different. But different is the key word. When I come to the US and shoot 12 gauge, I have the following experience when shooting "American"

1) I can not really pre-mount anymore. I have the gun slightly dropped, call and then cheek the gun. Lots of "oltimers" shot that way when I was younger and still in the US and now I am getting to be an oldtimer so I guess it is appropriate

2) Last time I was there, I shot 75 straight in the first 3 rounds in 12 gauge and it wobbled after that - guess the mind gets the best of us...

3) Shooting 12 and 20 is no difference to me. When I shoot 28 or .410, the things change. I think any Olympic Skeet pro will have a challenge with sub-gauge.

In the end, it is simply different. I have fun at both and actually when shooting sub-gauge and then returning to Europe to shoot only 12 again, I find myself really making great hits and really being on the bird. This again dwindles as the mind sets in again...

I think the 4 gauges and double events in American Skeet are simply an awesome combination of endurance and skill. Olympic is more speed, focus and skill over a more concetrated time frame. Shooting 125 - 150 birds over a couple of days is very different than shooting 450 or more birds...

:D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:55 am 
Crown Grade

I often shoot the Olympic sequence just to add doubles at 3,4 & 5 during a regular round and not disrupt the squad too bad. I don't, however, use the low gun mount. Personally, I wish the powers that be would change the game to that sequence, but that's a topic for another day.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:20 am 
Crown Grade

Wow, you guys are almost ready for FITASC!................ :mrgreen:

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:40 am 
Crown Grade

oneounceload wrote:

I'm waaaaaay to cheap to pay to shoot FITASC or Sporting, for that matter, as much as I shoot skeet. It's not that I wouldn't like it; I would. I just can't afford it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:50 am 
Diamond Grade

Vette Jockey wrote:
oneounceload wrote:

I'm waaaaaay to cheap to pay to shoot FITASC or Sporting, for that matter, as much as I shoot skeet. It's not that I wouldn't like it; I would. I just can't afford it.

That's my problem. My club is only ten minutes away and I can shoot four rounds of skeet for $12.00. We can set the traps to wobble, but I'd love to find an EASY way to speed them up for a little Olympic Skeet action. Alas, it doesn't appear to be a simple exercise with the Pat traps we use. it can be done, but would have to reset every time, and seems to be a PITA.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:00 pm 
Crown Grade

A lot of us at my club shoot SxS's, and the other year I ran a league in the winter using the Olympic sequence, standard speed. Come spring time we went to a SxS shoot in Ohio and one of the events we shot was Olympic skeet, standard speed. I think the fellow putting it on thought he had it one over on everyone. Well, my friend and I tied him at 23/25, and I won at a shoot off at stations 3, 4, and 5. My buddy missed at 4, and I won it at 5. It's a lot of fun and I wish I could talk more of the guys to shoot it again .

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

How about a 35 and 40 year old, who are in constant competition with each other, playing a totally different game at the skeet field. Those two guy's are my son's and they shot a round of what they called "Simon Say's" skeet. They switched at each station who stepped on first. The one that controlled the station shot the targets as he wanted and the other had to follow. I never laughed so much watching them. It might be low gun, shooting doubles in reverse, calling for targets with their OU open and the shells in their hand (or mouth), shooting from the hip and whatever they could dream up. Maybe it was luck, or their age but they broke more than I expected.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:16 pm 
Crown Grade

bladesmith wrote:
A lot of us at my club shoot SxS's, and the other year I ran a league in the winter using the Olympic sequence, standard speed. Come spring time we went to a SxS shoot in Ohio and one of the events we shot was Olympic skeet, standard speed. I think the fellow putting it on thought he had it one over on everyone. Well, my friend and I tied him at 23/25, and I won at a shoot off at stations 3, 4, and 5. My buddy missed at 4, and I won it at 5. It's a lot of fun and I wish I could talk more of the guys to shoot it again .

Here ya go:

Quote:
Gator S&T to Host 18th World Vintage Shoot
Members who enjoy shooting vintage-style shotguns, specifically side-by-sides or pump-action guns, are invited to shoot at the 18th World Vintage Championships. Gator Skeet & Trap Club in Gainesville, FL, will host the event March 1-4. You can get all the details about equipment, rules, and the event in the World Vintage program.

http://mynssa.nssa-nsca.org/wp-content/ ... intage.pdf

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:04 pm 
Crown Grade

oneounce, thanks , I read about it every year. There are a couple of reasons I can't make it. We were using a 5 second delay, gun down, no movement till the bird could be seen. If a guy started to mount his gun, we'd throw the bird as he was lowering it back down. We also used the international program that has 6 birds at station four. The older you get, the more station eight gets to be a b!tch. At my age, I'd hate to shoot it at the faster speeds.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:26 pm 
Presentation Grade

Glad you gave it a whirl and had fun. 13 is pretty respectable for a first time. Best part is you're willing to do it again and smile about it.

The low mount and the variable delay are the toughest parts to deal with for most folks. 3 seconds can seem an eternity, and 0 makes the bird seem even faster than it is.

The sequence matters a good bit, with the pairs at 3,4, 5 and the free throws of incoming singles eliminated. For some more fun shoot the reverse pairs on 3 and 5 like the finals.

The increased speed isn't as big a deal as one might think. It's just the final kicker and hurts those that like to put a saddle on the target and ride it across the field.

Most aren't willing to give it a try as thier egos can't stand a lower than expected score. They're afraid to "look bad" when the truth is it's just a game.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:47 pm 
Field Grade

The increased speed over standard is actually quite a big deal and it's even bigger since the extra 2 metres was added. It doesn't sound much but it's significant. To make it harder still the ISSF has also lowered the gun-down marker. And now the 'finals' sequence, which includes reverse pairs on stations 3 and 5, has sadly made the game unattractive to many long time fans.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:39 pm 
Crown Grade

I think the goals in the International versions is to prevent a large group from shooting perfect scores and then having endless shootoffs - whether trap, skeet or sporting.

Personally, I think this:
Quote:
How about a 35 and 40 year old, who are in constant competition with each other, playing a totally different game at the skeet field. Those two guy's are my son's and they shot a round of what they called "Simon Say's" skeet. They switched at each station who stepped on first. The one that controlled the station shot the targets as he wanted and the other had to follow. I never laughed so much watching them. It might be low gun, shooting doubles in reverse, calling for targets with their OU open and the shells in their hand (or mouth), shooting from the hip and whatever they could dream up. Maybe it was luck, or their age but they broke more than I expected.
sounds a lot of fun. When we're out having fun on a sporting course we will shoot things backwards, puller's choice on what comes out, etc. Sure makes for a fun time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

One thing I have wanted to try for many a moon is trying to break clay's with a flintlock fowling piece. I hunted with the wosh-bang 50 cal flintlock but the game wasn't moving. I can only image the lead needed!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:17 pm 
Crown Grade

I think the largest challenge in shooting a flintlock fowler would be having to maintain the swing and follow through after the initial "flash in the pan" starts the ignition sequence. It sure would be fun to try and have often thought of it myself but never had the right fowler to proceed.