ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Skeet shooting perazzi barrel
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

Can any of you Olimpic shooters advice me with what barrel (length and weight) to use?

Kind regards

Post subject: Re: Skeet shooting perazzi barrel
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:32 am 
Presentation Grade

Abruzzone36 wrote:
Can any of you Olimpic shooters advice me with what barrel (length and weight) to use?

Kind regards

99% use 28 inches. Valerie Shloman (sp?) uses a 30 inch only because he shoots pass through. as far as I know, he is the only shooter to use a 30 inch barrel. before he became the Italian coach, Andrea Benelli was the coach for Cyprus and he had many of the shooters get 29 inch barrels. I attend most of the world cups here in Euroland and notice that most shooters sill use 28 inch barrels. The theory is that the extra inch comes in handy for the finals, with the reverse doubles at 3 and 5 because the second shot is long. Well, most shooters figured out to shoot the first bird really fast and they take the second bird just before or at the center stake so the second shot really isn't that much of a long crosser.

You can get a 29 inch barrel from either Beretta or Perazzi but so far, most O shooters don't use them.

NRA Life Member

Post subject: Re: Skeet shooting perazzi barrel
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:04 am 
Presentation Grade

as for barrel weight, that is purely personal choice. I prefer a heavier gun with a balance on the hinge pin. You want as much weight as possible to be centered around the action. This makes a heavy gun still move lively. You can assess the balance by grabbing the gun at the action with your and and seeing how it twirls in your hand.

Think of it this way, take a broom stick and tie bricks to ether end. It will balance perfectly in the middle. Now try to turn it. It takes a lot of inertial force to move that left or right. Now move those two bricks closer to the middle. The gun still has the same balance point but the inertial force required to move it left or right is greatly reduced.

Before she got bought out by Beretta, Kim R shot a Perazzi trap gun for Skeet that weighed well over 8.5 lbs.

NRA Life Member