ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Olympic SK barrel length?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:58 pm 
Limited Edition

I shot my first ISSF skeet last weekend, what a great discipline. Yes, tougher no doubt than American skeet but really enjoyed the challenge and keen to shoot it some more.

Barrel lengths in most shotgun disciplines seem to be gaining length, is Olympic skeet following this trend?

I shot my best and last of 3 rounds with my 32inch sporter (pus extended chokes), wondering if I have much to gain at this early stage by dropping back to another gun with say 30 inch barrels?

Cheers,
Waldyo

Post subject: Re: Olympic SK barrel length?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:40 am 
Presentation Grade

Yes but IMO it is a fad and nothing more. Because of the number of doubles, you need a fast moving gun and 28' was (and still is for most) the barrel length of choice. But 3 things happened.

1. an ISSF skeet final added reverse doubles at 3 and 5 and this favors a longer barrel
2. the barrel profile of the Beretta DT11 got lighter such that at a 30" barrel was no longer a handicap in a regular round
3. Gabrielle Rosetti shoots a DT11 with a 30" barrel.

I shoot in Italy a lot at Lonato and Arezzo so I see the Italian national team members often and watch them shoot and see what they shoot. My take away is that the number one reason for ISSF shooters, at least in Italy, going to a longer barrel, is due to #3, supra.

For those who got the 30" barrel because it helps on the reverse double at 3 or 5, I have seen some italians shoot the reverse double such that their barrel never swings back for the second shot. What I mean is that on the reverse double at 3, they shoot the incoming bird so fast that they then pull the trigger a fraction of a second later and catch the outgoing bird before it gets to where the first bird was taken. It is not stacking. It is even faster than that. So much for the need for a 30" barrel.

The trend originated with Andrea Benelli when he was the national coach of Cyprus. He had his shooters get a 73 cm barrel, which is longer than a 28" barrel but shorter than a 30".

I only shoot ISSF and don't think that the extra 2 inches of barrel would make any difference in my scores.

NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:58 pm 
Limited Edition

Thanks jerrys, interesting points.

I do have a 682Gold in the safe with 29.5inch barrels but it has a left handed stock on it, if I can pick up a right handed stock for a reasonable price I'll give it a try just to see what the difference is. That said I was happy with the score I posted first time out with the 32inch sporter but gee it'd be nice to get onto the first target just a bit sooner.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:46 am 
Presentation Grade

if you really want to get something special, look into a TSK modular stock.

http://www.tsk-italy.com

http://www.berettaaustralia.com.au/pro- ... able-stock

I don't know what the price is in dollarydoos but they are about EUR 1400 here in the Fatherland. about half the price of an Ergosign from Nill. You can adjust them for trap, skeet, parcours, you gain weight, you lose it. Thick jacket in the winter, t-shirt in the summer. They seem to hold their values pretty well if you want to resell.

NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:41 pm 
Limited Edition

Yeh, the TSK's are nice no doubt about that but for what I want to do which is just see if the 29.5inch 682 (which is actually my sons gun) gives me an advantage over the 32inch Z gun I normally shoot just is not viable.

Perhaps if I stop looking a 2nd hand RH stock will come up on the market :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

Good advice. The majority of folks here shoot 28" to 30" depending on which brand you have, your size etc. Length is a factor, but so is weight and balance.

"reverse stacking" is great, if everything is working perfectly and nearly impossible if it's not. Sure looks cool, but it's not "standard". Agree that what many do is copy the top guns and hope to find some magic.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:44 pm 
Limited Edition

Well after a 2 month or so break from shooting while I recovered from some "repairs" I have finally got back out shooting.
Set up a skeet layout for ISSF and shot a couple of rounds. At the back of my mind was "how would the 682 feel" so I shot a round with the 682 (complete with left hand stock, I shoot RH) and it felt OK. The mount wasn't great as was to be expected but it seemed to move OK and I even managed both pairs on station 4 so was pretty happy.
Switched back to the Zoli for two rounds and WOW it felt more responsive, managed to finish with a 19/25 so pretty happy with first time back.
Interesting stats from the kitchen scales the Z was 7 oz. heavier overall and the shorter tubes of the 682 were only 3oz lighter.
Interesting experiment not real sure what it shows other than stats mean little, if nothing else it was great to be out shooting again.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:08 am 
Field Grade

pintailwizard wrote:
Agree that what many do is copy the top guns and hope to find some magic.

This is so true of any sport that requires a tool to compete.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:27 am 
Crown Grade

Gold E wrote:
pintailwizard wrote:
Agree that what many do is copy the top guns and hope to find some magic.

This is so true of any sport that requires a tool to compete.
And almost never has the desired result. :lol:

The best clinic instructors will always tell you: "Do as I say, not as I do."

Retired

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Although I have 28, 30 and 32" over and unders, I have tried them all and actually still shoot the best with my 28" guns. I did recently change some weights around in my 30" K-80 and with the new balance, I need to see the results.

Bob