ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OSK first time
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 4:58 pm 
Limited Edition

Last weekend I shot my first Olympic (ISSF) skeet event, 75 targets on the Sat plus 50 on the Sunday. No need to worry about having enough shells for the final as that was never going to be happening for me :lol:

WOW what a discipline, I was very glad they only shoot this in 25 target blocks as it is full on. I was pretty happy with how I shot it and really enjoyed the challenge and will make an effort to shoot it again. Every station is a challenge but when it comes together and you manage to clean a station it is an achievement.

Gun wise a 32 inch sporter while it can be used just isn't the right tool for the job (no surprise there :roll: ), it was my best option but I really had to push it hard and it showed with my worst two rounds being the last on each day as it really doesn't take much to add another "0" to the tally.

I'll ponder my options going forward and may look at getting hold of a shorter and lighter (28 inch) sporter that can also see use as a field gun maybe and back up for other clay games.

For anyone that has considered the ISSF disciplines give em a go, it's a hoot to shoot :D

Post subject: Re: OSK first time
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

Very cool. I have always wanted to try, but no places around me have it.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:36 am 
Crown Grade

Shot it for many years and it was my first love in shotgun sports. I also got to shoot with and pull targets for Dania Vizzi at Silver Dollar before they had to close down all their skeet shooting. It is always fascinating to watch truly talented shooters make look easy what is INCREDIBLY hard.

As for the gun she used, at that time she was supplied with a Perazzi and it weighed right at 8 lbs maybe a bit more. Mind boggling to see a young woman who weighs no more than 115-120 lbs move a gun like that from the low gun position so incredibly fast and effectively. However, her standard practice routine involved shooting a flat of shells per session, and she did this about 5-6 days per week prior to a tournament. I guess that is how you win Women's Skeet Champion two years running.

It is a very difficult game with the 2 sets of doubles at 4 making it so much more difficult than NSSA skeet. I wish more places offered Int. Sk. but I don't think that the average NSSA type skeet shooter would gravitate towards it because of the quantum jump in difficulty. Too bad because it is a great game.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:03 pm 
Limited Edition

oyeme wrote:
but I don't think that the average NSSA type skeet shooter would gravitate towards it because of the quantum jump in difficulty. Too bad because it is a great game.

Very small fields over here in Australia but the age demographic of the ISSF Skeet shooter at a guess would be in the vicinity of 25 - 30 years younger (if not more) than regular American skeet here. Even though last weekend with me at 57 years old I would have impacted severely on the average age :shock: :lol: :lol:

Yes, very right in regards to the quantum leap in difficulty and I feel it would appeal more to a young sporting clays shooter with aspirations than an existing skeet shooter.

Gun wise I am pondering as I would like to shoot it some more. I have a 682 Gold (greystone) with 29.5's that needs a right handed stock or tempted to sell a SxS I have to buy a Fabarm elos N2 Sporting with 28's (or maybe just hold out and see what second hand comes up for sale)?

Ooops quick edit had the age difference wrong way round.

Last edited by Waldyo on Mon May 06, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:41 pm 
Crown Grade

Gun wise I am pondering as I would like to shoot it some more. I have a 682 Gold (greystone) with 29.5's that needs a right handed stock or tempted to sell a SxS I have to buy a Fabarm elos N2 Sporting with 28's (or maybe just hold out and see what second hand comes up for sale)?[/quote]

I think you should shoot what you have and works for you. When you are consistently breaking 18-22 per round you are then going to benefit from experimenting with a different gun that may suit you better. As for the age difference, I sure found that out and I simply could not do well anymore because of that factor and the extreme difficulty in the "new" rules for target presentations.

When I was first shooting the sport I copied and used what all the Army MTU guys used at that time which was a Remington 3200 with 28 inch barrels. I learned too late, it was the absolute wrong gun for a "petite" sized guy like me with way too much weight. I should have realized this when I borrowed, to try, an older Superposed used by a woman shooter. It was a little shorter than mine and far lighter and quicker. I shot a 24 the first time I tried it. I only shot it 2 or three rounds and never shot worse than a 23 and may have thrown a straight in there. However, that was under the older rules. I tried to buy it but to no avail.

I am glad you are not intimidated by the game. I found that if you ONLY shoot Int. Skeet, the target speed will seem to become much slower. It is really addictive if you forget the scores that are shot in NSSA skeet. For me being only a duffer when I finally got to shoot it again, it was a game of hits not misses. NSSA skeet is a game of misses, if you get my drift. However, take heart there are Sr. divisions in many tournaments and at some point you will have very little competition from old timers. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:46 pm 
Limited Edition

Intimidated or challenged are two words that can be used in the same situation, which one you adopt has a huge impact on the result :)

Gun wise I have shot a round with the 682 and while it was a bit of a struggle mount wise with the left hand stock I managed to shoot both pairs on station 4 with it very nicely. The 682 didn't feel as nice to move as my regular 32inch gun but obviously moved OK to handle S4 doubles.

While competitions in this game are few and far between setting up a ground at the local is no issue so I can work on it which will only benefit my shooting overall.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:27 pm 
Presentation Grade

Hell - when I used to crank the traps up a couple MPH to NSSA spec, shooters would howl like I punched their kitten. I think ISSF targets might actually cause aneurysms.

Personally, I think every club with skeet fields should be able to accommodate the game and switch between speeds without tremendous efforts. I know for a fact it would bring some of the sporting guys back - at least just for fun/practice if nothing else.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 8:44 am 
Presentation Grade

It is the only clay game I shoot. I travel around Europe for competitions and often find myself in pools with some of the big boys. Was in France once and noticed that the kid shooting in front of me rarely missed. Anthony Terras. Oh yeah. He is pretty good.

We joke here that those who insist on shooting “hunting skeet”, as in no timer, few doubles, and lots of incoming birds are shooting “sitzpinklerskeet”. OLy Sk is the real deal and the hardest of the games. I will eventually move on to trap one day, when I am too old and slow to shoot OLy Sk. I will then join all the elderly men on the trap field.

Enjoy. As for barrels, the lighter profile beretta DT 11 barrels in 30” are finding favor in Italy now. I stick with a fixed choke 28” and am happy

NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:54 am 
Limited Edition

jerrys wrote:
Enjoy. As for barrels, the lighter profile beretta DT 11 barrels in 30” are finding favor in Italy now. I stick with a fixed choke 28” and am happy

Yeh, I have asked (still waiting) how much a set of 28's with fixed chokes would be but do feel the cost is going to be a bit prohibitive :roll: I do keep contemplating trying my sons 682 (29.5's) with a right handed (currently left handed) stock on it just to see how it is?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:15 am 
Presentation Grade

Waldyo wrote:
jerrys wrote:

Yeh, I have asked (still waiting) how much a set of 28's with fixed chokes would be but do feel the cost is going to be a bit prohibitive :roll: I do keep contemplating trying my sons 682 (29.5's) with a right handed (currently left handed) stock on it just to see how it is?

see if somebody doesn't have the TSK stock I told you about in a different thread and put it on your gun and see how it works for you. Maybe Beretta Oz might have one you can try out before buying.

NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

As long as you had fun, it's all that matters. We got back yesterday from a match in Umbria and it was awesome in every respect. I pulled a practice round for Al Rashidi and he ran 50 straight, followed by 75 and 50 straight. Then got into the finals and placed 3rd.

As great as that was we also had an older gent that had a total score of less than 80 /125 and he had more smiles than anyone. Enjoy!