ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Perazzi High Tech Barrel Length - 30" vs 32"
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:36 am 
Field Grade

A friend of mine is deciding on which barrel length to choose for his High Tech 3 purchase. I gave him my thoughts on it when he asked me. I thought 30" would work better for him since 70% of time he will be shooting trap, both American & Bunker, and rest of time shooting sporting & skeet.

I want to hear from High Tech owners that whether 30" barrels will play disadvantaged in sporting or 32" barrels will slow down in the Bunker Trap.

Your experienced opinion is appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Perazzi High Tech Barrel Length - 30" vs 32"
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

In 2019 I custom ordered a dedicated bunker High Tech. I specified 30 3/4 bbls (78cm) with fixed 6 and 9 fixed chokes. I ordered a 4mm ramped rib and the bbl weight came out to kg 1.590. I find it to be very steady but fast enough for bunker. If your friend wants a 32in bbl, consider a flat rib fixed choke MX8 gun and the weight of the bbls could be as little as kg1.560 with an overall weight of 8 lbs 5ozs. That could work for bunker but most use 29 1/2 or 30 bbls .My gun weighs 8lbs 10.6 ozs. High techs weigh a little more than the equivalent MX8. For sporting use, get Brileys in the 32in bbls.
This is a bit rambling but I just returned from a 6hr round trip shooting bunker in the rain so I'm worn out. I'll be 74 next week so I am just happy to get home safely. Let me know if I can answer any other questions. I just took delivery in April of a custom high tech 20 with 30 3/4 in bbls in 28ga for sporting. That is a story for another day.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:34 am 
Field Grade

sovrapposto wrote:
In 2019 I custom ordered a dedicated bunker High Tech. I specified 30 3/4 bbls (78cm) with fixed 6 and 9 fixed chokes. I ordered a 4mm ramped rib and the bbl weight came out to kg 1.590. I find it to be very steady but fast enough for bunker. If your friend wants a 32in bbl, consider a flat rib fixed choke MX8 gun and the weight of the bbls could be as little as kg1.560 with an overall weight of 8 lbs 5ozs. That could work for bunker but most use 29 1/2 or 30 bbls .My gun weighs 8lbs 10.6 ozs. High techs weigh a little more than the equivalent MX8. For sporting use, get Brileys in the 32in bbls.
This is a bit rambling but I just returned from a 6hr round trip shooting bunker in the rain so I'm worn out. I'll be 74 next week so I am just happy to get home safely. Let me know if I can answer any other questions. I just took delivery in April of a custom high tech 20 with 30 3/4 in bbls in 28ga for sporting. That is a story for another day.

I am 79 y.o. Have a MX8, custom Woodward style wood, 29 1/2" barrels in both 12 and 20 (my HV dove gun) that weighs just under 8#, a 34" TM1 and a HTS Super Leggero with 33" FC (.024/.024) that weighs 8# 4 oz. Love to hear that story about the High Tech 20 with 30 3/4" 28 gauge barrels. Thinking about ordering one. Did you consider 32" barrels? Flat rib? How wide? Balance point?

Last edited by castnblast2 on Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:53 am 
Tournament Grade

I ordered a set of 20 ga barrels 30 3/4” long for my MX8/20 28 ga. They feel and shoot great.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

I never seriously considered 32" bbls because I wanted a slightly higher rib (2mm) and I wanted choke tubes with the drop trigger frame, so the weight would be too great. The 28 ga came out a little heavy ( 8# 6oz) but balances dead on the hinge pin. I think it will be great for sporting and skeet as I shoot off the shoulder for everything except bunker. I love the woodward grip but what is a super leggero? I have seen pics of the new Beretta super leggero but never heard of a Perazzi. How did you come upon the gun? I would love to see pics. Perchance, is the what Perazzi calls the ribless model developed in England? It sounds wonderful

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

One thing to keep in mind is that if he buys a 30" SC or trap gun, he'll likely be buried with it. Resale will be SIGNIFICANTLY lower than a 32" gun, like 30-40%+ lower, and a much harder sell.

Unless he's a particularly short or weak individual I can't envision any advantage to buying a 30" barrel for his needs.

I think he needs to take a legitimate look at what he'll be shooting the gun the most with, and buy a gun that satisfies that need, it is basically impossible to buy a gun with one stock and one barrel that works well for everything he wants to use it for. A gun that works well for bunker, skeet, and SC will likely work quite poorly for American trap, and vise versa.

http://www.sminglershotgunsports.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:20 am 
Field Grade

sovrapposto wrote:
I never seriously considered 32" bbls because I wanted a slightly higher rib (2mm) and I wanted choke tubes with the drop trigger frame, so the weight would be too great. The 28 ga came out a little heavy ( 8# 6oz) but balances dead on the hinge pin. I think it will be great for sporting and skeet as I shoot off the shoulder for everything except bunker. I love the woodward grip but what is a super leggero? I have seen pics of the new Beretta super leggero but never heard of a Perazzi. How did you come upon the gun? I would love to see pics. Perchance, is the what Perazzi calls the ribless model developed in England? It sounds wonderful

This is the gun. Description is accurate except the weight. John at PSA East took the "4" on the Perazzi certificate of build for a "9". It does weigh 8# 4 ounces, balances 3/4" ahead of the center line of the hinge pin. I really love the gun.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns- ... =101505002

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:00 am 
Utility Grade

I have 30.75" on my MX2000s with a flat tramline rib and it is extremely versatile. Balances about 3/16" behind the hinge pin.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:01 pm 
Field Grade

Deciding between a 30" vs 32" barrel depends more on what the gun will be used for most. Sporting clays and bunker trap are at opposite ends of the spectrum in clay sports. The BEST advice is to get 2 sets of barrels for the same gun if you're serious about both disciplines. Sporting clays requires planning and strategy to break multiple targets with an established path during a rather long window of opportunity. There are no surprises. This favors a longer barrel with steady handling. Bunker trap consists of shooting a very fast moving edge-on target along a largely unpredictable path where 2 shots can be taken within a window of no longer than 1 second if there's to be any hope of hitting the target. FAST handling is the key, so lighter barrels are favored. Since tight chokes are required, most top shooters use guns with 18.4 mm or 0.724" bores with at least 0.7mm or 0.028" chokes for the first shot and 1.0 mm or .040" chokes on the second barrel. This Perazzi preferred bore/choke relationship means "heavier" (thicker) barrels due to bore diameter so shooters use shorter barrels. You can compromise somewhat by getting a longer barrel that's overbored to 18.7mm making it lighter but if you add screw chokes to use in sporting clays then you've wiped out the benefit of a lighter barrel trying to make it more useful for sporting clays. As for why shooters and Perazzi prefer the .724" bore for bunker trap, that's a whole new can of worms that has everything to do with exit diameter for a fixed-mass "fluid" shot charge.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:33 pm 
Field Grade

mtk95 wrote:
Deciding between a 30" vs 32" barrel depends more on what the gun will be used for most. Sporting clays and bunker trap are at opposite ends of the spectrum in clay sports. The BEST advice is to get 2 sets of barrels for the same gun if you're serious about both disciplines. Sporting clays requires planning and strategy to break multiple targets with an established path during a rather long window of opportunity. There are no surprises. This favors a longer barrel with steady handling. Bunker trap consists of shooting a very fast moving edge-on target along a largely unpredictable path where 2 shots can be taken within a window of no longer than 1 second if there's to be any hope of hitting the target. FAST handling is the key, so lighter barrels are favored. Since tight chokes are required, most top shooters use guns with 18.4 mm or 0.724" bores with at least 0.7mm or 0.028" chokes for the first shot and 1.0 mm or .040" chokes on the second barrel. This Perazzi preferred bore/choke relationship means "heavier" (thicker) barrels due to bore diameter so shooters use shorter barrels. You can compromise somewhat by getting a longer barrel that's overbored to 18.7mm making it lighter but if you add screw chokes to use in sporting clays then you've wiped out the benefit of a lighter barrel trying to make it more useful for sporting clays. As for why shooters and Perazzi prefer the .724" bore for bunker trap, that's a whole new can of worms that has everything to do with exit diameter for a fixed-mass "fluid" shot charge.

Yah... I guess trying to compromising was bit pushing it. I guess, over some time, I'll have him decide how serious about the bunker trap and decide the barrel