ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Perrazi MXS
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:58 pm 
Crown Grade

Looks interesting! Entry level Perrazi just doesn't sound right. Need some valid opinions, please.
Thanks...

Post subject: Re: Perrazi MXS
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

Love mine .....owned it two year now. Whats nice is you can find some used now in the 54-5600 range

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:38 pm 
Diamond Grade

I shot one for a few months with good success. I'm now shooting an MX2000. The MXS has light barrels (fixed chokes) so the OA weight is probably around 8.25lb. If the barrel weight is what your looking for and the stock fits you then a used one is a great value in the $5k range. I would not spend $7k for a new one when there are many used MX8's, etc out there. It might be the weight (1/2 lb difference) but the MX2000 seems to shoot softer and it has a really nice sound when it closes. I've owned an F3 and 680 series Beretta and definitely preferred the MXS.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

High Rib 52 wrote:
I shot one for a few months with good success. I'm now shooting an MX2000. The MXS has light barrels (fixed chokes) so the OA weight is probably around 8.25lb. If the barrel weight is what your looking for and the stock fits you then a used one is a great value in the $5k range. I would not spend $7k for a new one when there are many used MX8's, etc out there. It might be the weight (1/2 lb difference) but the MX2000 seems to shoot softer and it has a really nice sound when it closes. I've owned an F3 and 680 series Beretta and definitely preferred the MXS.

That's good to hear. I have been kicking around the idea of a 692, F3, or Zoli Z-Sport versus going up to a used MX8/12. I feel like the Zoli might be close enough to the P-Gun and for a lot less.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:15 pm 
Crown Grade

I like mine. And I have a MX12 as well. I think the MXS when they first came out at the price point they were selling was a good deal. Currently, they are overpriced for what corporate Perazzi wants for them as the US market for used Perazzi is still soft, so you can score some deals on used MX12/MX8 guns if you look hard enough. The used MXS guns I have seen listed have usually been priced below $6000, from private sellers. I'm sure corporate Perazzi is going to jack up the prices on all of their guns next year :roll:

I really don't mind the big lettering on the side of the receiver. I know the new models have the big lettering removed from the side of the receiver.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:17 am 
Tournament Grade

And, I see they have changed up the engraving on the reciever side. Gone is the oversized MXS engraved billboard. They now look like an MX3, 5,6,7, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:51 pm 
Presentation Grade

Probably the worst deal out there for a Perazzi. MX8s and MX12s (and even MT6s, especially newer Type 4 ones) are more desirable, and have stronger-designed actions with bifurcated lumps...they can be found in decent used condition for less than a new MXS, and some for even less than used a MXSs. Given the parts availability and how rebuildable Perazzis are, I wouldn't be scared of used ones; they would be a much better bet.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

Where is the best place to look for used Perrazis?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:49 am 
Tournament Grade

I know of at least two for sale here locally (Shreveport, LA). An MX2000s with 32" Wilkinson barrels and an MX12 32" Wilkinson barrels. Would be happy to put you in contact with the seller if you like.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:02 am 
Crown Grade

Sandvol wrote:
Where is the best place to look for used Perrazis?

Besides your clubs, here and the few better dealers, try here:

http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f ... cat_id=650

Currently 315 listed for sale.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Jake Hargett is a Perazzi dealer here in Louisiana who always has a lot of used guns at good prices. I bought my Argentina set from him.

Google him , he's a lawyer and you can call him at his office and ask.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks. I am probably still a ways away from making the leap for a Perazzi. I currently own three Berettas but I decided I don't want another although I like them. My next purchase is going to be a Perazzi. Probably will try to find a used MX8 or an Ithaca MX8. I found an Ithaca MX8 (ca. 1976) at Gander Mountain for $3500 but it was pretty rough so I didn't take the plunge.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

sera wrote:
Jake Hargett is a Perazzi dealer here in Louisiana who always has a lot of used guns at good prices. I bought my Argentina set from him.

thanks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

sera wrote:

thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:32 pm 
Utility Grade

I am considering buying a Perazzi MXS with the new plain black action body designed by Rich Cole. I realize that it isn't an MX8 or 12 and doesn't have the Boss lock up. (I haven't been able to find a used MX8 or 12 that is left hand and in my price range).
I am asking for opinions on the MXS; I am a recreational shooter who shoots a couple thousand rounds per year. Does anyone have the new MXS and can provide some advice and share your thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:56 pm 
Diamond Grade

handled one at LGS. it is impressive feeling. lockup sounds and feels very solid.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:16 pm 
Field Grade

spinnaker wrote:
I am considering buying a Perazzi MXS with the new plain black action body designed by Rich Cole. I realize that it isn't an MX8 or 12 and doesn't have the Boss lock up. (I haven't been able to find a used MX8 or 12 that is left hand and in my price range).
I am asking for opinions on the MXS; I am a recreational shooter who shoots a couple thousand rounds per year. Does anyone have the new MXS and can provide some advice and share your thoughts?

Just handled one at Cole's in Naples. IIRC it was lightly used. Great shape and very nice gun. He also had a very used and probably rebuilt MX8 Sporting Special.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:53 am 
Presentation Grade

spinnaker wrote:

I'm a lefty who owns an MX3 Special (drop trigger) and an MT6 (fixed trigger). Getting an MX8 with a round bottom barrel is like buying a Corvette that had it's big V8 swapped out for an anemic 4 cylinder...it might look pretty, and handle okay, but it's not going to be anywhere near as strong. For the prices used MXS, I'd probably get something with a similar action, but cheaper, like a used Beretta 682. If you're looking at new MXS prices, I'd *definitely* get a used square monobloc Perazzi over one.

FWIW, depending on your budget, I'd say buy an MX8, MX3 Special, MX2000, MX2000S, MX12, or MT6, then try to find a lefty stock. This is easier with drop trigger guns...heck, you can get a PFS stock for drop trigger guns and be ready to go, with recoil reduction as a bonus! For fixed trigger guns, lefty stocks are harder to find unless you want to pay $2-3k to have someone like Wenig make you one.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

Tex68W wrote:
High Rib 52 wrote:

That's good to hear. I have been kicking around the idea of a 692, F3, or Zoli Z-Sport versus going up to a used MX8/12. I feel like the Zoli might be close enough to the P-Gun and for a lot less.

Tex,

The Zoli Z guns are very much like a Perazzi in design and feel but are about half price of the Perazzi. It is also the best of the three you are considering.

CT

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

searun wrote:
Tex68W wrote:
High Rib 52 wrote:

Tex,

The Zoli Z guns are very much like a Perazzi in design and feel but are about half price of the Perazzi. It is also the best of the three you are considering.

CT

I wonder if bought it in the 3+ years since he posted.