ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: If money no object, what's the best perazzi gun?
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

I love perazzi. Not that I can afford one at the point but I'd like to have a dream gun.

If money no object, what would you guys use for trap?

Perazzi has so many models so it is very confusing. Is high tech considered the best gun? (like DT11 of Beretta?)

And, what gun is the best bang for the buck in Perazzi?

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: If money no object, what's the best perazzi gun?
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Go to Italy and get the full meal deal :) The Tour,a fitting, pick the Wood you want :)

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

hopper810 wrote:
Go to Italy and get the full meal deal :) The Tour,a fitting, pick the Wood you want :)

Lol, I don't want to go that fancy. Just wondering what's high end Perazzi model (excluding any fancy engraving and etc).

I saw one guy with perazzi with fully adjustable stock (Like Beretta TSK. Do you know what it is?)

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Not really,I don't keep up all I know the High Tech is the latest model

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 3:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

The latest is the High Tech...it’s just the latest derivative of the MX8.

You’ve gotta realize Perazzi basically makes two over/under models:

1. MX8 - Removable trigger gun. Usually has leaf springs. These are often not selectable as to which barrel fires first unless you get an optional trigger that is internally selectable (must remove trigger to push a button to select top/bottom), or pay for a more expensive externally selectable trigger (button behind trigger blade).

2. MX12 - Fixed/non-removable trigger gun. Almost always has coil springs. Virtually all come standard with a safety/barrel selector on the top tang of the receiver.

Virtually all other O/U models are derivatives of these two receiver styles featuring different amounts of engraving, quality of wood, different rib height, adjustability of the rib, different gauge, etc.

As for what’s best, I think it’s personal preference.
For trap, where I’m not ever going to change the firing order, I like removable trigger guns like the MX8 for the convenience of being able to remove the trigger.

For sporting clays, I like fixed trigger guns like the MX12 because I like using two different chokes and being able to switch between them easily and like where the selector is positioned on the top tang near my thumb.

For the best bang for the buck, hands down, I’d say it’s the MT6. The MT6 is the predecessor to the MX12 and is a fixed trigger gun. It was one of the first guns to come standard with removable choke tubes from the factory. Earlier versions are more common and had stripes cut in the sides of the receivers and a unique forearm latch that lead some not to like them, so they tend to be cheaper. Later versions had flat sided receivers and “Type 4” forearm latches which are used on all current models and are more desirable (aka expensive). Functionally, they’re identical (I have both.). Early ones can sometimes be found for as little as $2500 (though I did jump on one recently for about $2200). Later ones tend to be $3500 and up. Prices on them seem to be going up...maybe due to Perazzi increasing the prices of their new guns driving the prices of their used guns up.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 3:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

pulpssc wrote:
hopper810 wrote:

Lol, I don't want to go that fancy. Just wondering what's high end Perazzi model (excluding any fancy engraving and etc).

I saw one guy with perazzi with fully adjustable stock (Like Beretta TSK. Do you know what it is?)

It could’ve been a TSK or Ergosign, but if you’re in the US and the grip looked like black plastic, it was probably a Precision Fit Stock (aka “PFS”). They’re very adjustable, can be used on different guns just by changing the grip, have a built in recoil absorber function and are about half the cost of the TSK and similar European rivals at about $1300 new (used around $800-900).

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 3:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

mpolans wrote:

1. MX8 - Removable trigger gun. Usually has leaf springs. These are often not selectable as to which barrel fires first unless you get an optional trigger that is internally selectable (must remove trigger to push a button to select top/bottom), or pay for a more expensive externally selectable trigger (button behind trigger blade).

2. MX12 - Fixed/non-removable trigger gun. Almost always has coil springs. Virtually all come standard with a safety/barrel selector on the top tang of the receiver.

Virtually all other O/U models are derivatives of these two receiver styles featuring different amounts of engraving, quality of wood, different rib height, adjustability of the rib, different gauge, etc.

For trap, where I’m not ever going to change the firing order, I like removable trigger guns like the MX8 for the convenience of being able to remove the trigger.

For sporting clays, I like fixed trigger guns like the MX12 because I like using two different chokes and being able to switch between them easily and like where the selector is positioned on the top tang near my thumb.

For the best bang for the buck, hands down, I’d say it’s the MT6. The MT6 is the predecessor to the MX12 and is a fixed trigger gun. It was one of the first guns to come standard with removable choke tubes from the factory. Earlier versions are more common and had stripes cut in the sides of the receivers and a unique forearm latch that lead some not to like them, so they tend to be cheaper. Later versions had flat sided receivers and “Type 4” forearm latches which are used on all current models and are more desirable (aka expensive). Functionally, they’re identical (I have both.). Early ones can sometimes be found for as little as $2500 (though I did jump on one recently for about $2200). Later ones tend to be $3500 and up. Prices on them seem to be going up...maybe due to Perazzi increasing the prices of their new guns driving the prices of their used guns up.

So, from what I have gathered, MX8 is "better" as I can change the spring. What would you consider the best "value" MX8 gun (Sorry, I am asking very generalized question as I am still wet behind the ears with Perazzi guns). I am basically looking for MX8 gun with adjustable comb and maybe buttplate?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have an MX 8 and a High Tech. I like the High Tech slightly more but I do not think that slight (did I say slight?) is worth the extra money. I shoot the gun well at sporting, 5 stand, Fitasc and helice. Have not tried it on boxed birds yet. The main difference is 8 ozs lighter.

My High Tech has the selectable trigger , tho I never use this feature and the non-selectable trigger on my MX 8 is --slightly---there's that word again--better(smoother).

I have leaf springs and can change them in a few minutes. For someone as clumsy as me that saying something about how easy it is. The trigger groups fit both guns, no sweat.

Are you shooting American trap? Or Bunker. Until the last few years when Beretta bought many of the good shooters , everyone shooting bunker shot Perazzis

If you can find a way to get to South Louisiana , I'll let you shoot both.

sera 337-769-3260

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 5:40 pm 
Crown Grade

pulpssc wrote:
So, from what I have gathered, MX8 is "better" as I can change the spring. What would you consider the best "value" MX8 gun (Sorry, I am asking very generalized question as I am still wet behind the ears with Perazzi guns). I am basically looking for MX8 gun with adjustable comb and maybe buttplate?

Yeah, I love things that are "better" :roll: because you can easily fix the stuff they are famous for breaking!!

The removable trigger K-80 (K-80 RT) is one of the biggest flops int he shooting sports.

I don't put much value on guns with removable triggers. More interested in guns that the trifggers don't break!

I do have an absolutely beautiful MX-12 SC3, which I rarely shoot. It's a safe queen which will soon be sold!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 5:43 pm 
Crown Grade

sera wrote:
Are you shooting American trap? Or Bunker. Until the last few years when Beretta bought many of the good shooters , everyone shooting bunker shot Perazzis

Makes you wonder how much they "paid" to "buy" them??

I don't know too many super competitive shooters who would give up the chance at winning the Olympics, just for some sponsor money? Maybe I'm wrong?

Meaning, perhaps they didn't think moving from the Perazzi to the Beretta was a downgrade?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 5:45 pm 
Crown Grade

sera wrote:

If you can find a way to get to South Louisiana , I'll let you shoot both.

sera 337-769-3260

Let me just say, Sera is a real great guy, he spoke to me a couple times as I was considering, and then buying, a Perazzi. Just a really great guy!!

.......and he didn't seem to mind me interrupting his work day!! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:36 am 
Presentation Grade

pulpssc wrote:
mpolans wrote:

I think the best value "MX8" (aka removable trigger gun) is an MX3 Special (*not* a round monobloc MX3!). It's has the same robust square monobloc action and type 4 forend latch of the current guns (easy to get parts, not prone to cracking forends like some earlier guns, can swap barrels with any type 4 barrel, which are more common). It's functionally identical to an MX8 with three distinguishing features: it lacks the MX8's sculpted shoulders on the receiver, the stock barrels don't have side ribs, and the stock barrels has a very slightly higher rib height.

Some people love leaf springs, others thing they're more likely to break. I've never had one break or seen one break, but I do have a couple spares just in case, and I can swap them in about two minutes. I mainly remove the trigger just to ease the hammers forward when I'm done shooting, though I have swapped firing order when I had a top single barrel for it (internally selectable trigger).

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:43 am 
Presentation Grade

John Henry wrote:
pulpssc wrote:

Yeah, I love things that are "better" :roll: because you can easily fix the stuff they are famous for breaking!!

The removable trigger K-80 (K-80 RT) is one of the biggest flops int he shooting sports.

I don't put much value on guns with removable triggers. More interested in guns that the trifggers don't break!

I do have an absolutely beautiful MX-12 SC3, which I rarely shoot. It's a safe queen which will soon be sold!

It might've been a flop, but K-80RT triggers have a shockingly short locktime...very noticeably shorter than my Perazzis. I wish my Perazzis had their locktime.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:19 am 
Limited Edition

From what Mauro Perazzi told me, HT represent about 90% of their production now.

I have a HT Sporting model, it's receiver is about 1 oz heavier than my equivalent MX8. It also has the reversed taper rib. I shot it really well but I still think MX8 is their best gun in general.

I'm not a fan of adjustable rib, so I'm not going to comment on that.
I like the seashell sculpted receiver and square mono bloc. Basically a MX8.

All my engraved and side plate Perazzi s were based on MX8, it's the gun Perazzi was known for.

As for bargain, like above mentioned, MT6 is at the most under rated Perazzi, but I also think type III MX8 is as good as any.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

For the price of a High Tech , you can get an MX 8 Lusso grade.

Just a thought.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:55 am 
Tournament Grade

So guys, is this gun (MX-8) the one you guys are talking about?

https://www.perazzi.it/site/en/node/409

How about I buy this and put on a ergosign grip. Would I be in good shape?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:50 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Perazzi will make you a custom-to-you stock for the price of the gun. You will need to have a Perazzi guy fit you. John or Jordan at Pacific Sporting Arms , Dan at Giacomos are some who can help.

Those space gun grips tend to defeat the dynamics that are a staple of Perazzis.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:57 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Also you can get chokes , weights , trigger pulls, etc to your liking.

They actually have more bbl lengths than listed on the web-site. They can make the gun to any bore diameter from .724 to .736.

Fore-ends , semi-beavertail, schaubel and english.

Lots to choose from.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

sera wrote:
Perazzi will make you a custom-to-you stock for the price of the gun. You will need to have a Perazzi guy fit you. John or Jordan at Pacific Sporting Arms , Dan at Giacomos are some who can help.

Those space gun grips tend to defeat the dynamics that are a staple of Perazzis.

So, buying an MX-8, they will fit the gun for me free of charge?

Btw, can you add higher ribs to the barrel later on or is it better to get guns with higher ribs (due to me having neck problem from my job)

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:27 pm 
Crown Grade

You can order it any way you like as Sear mentioned - total custom stock to your dimensions, balance points, half-ribs, full ribs, whatever you want; it truly can be ordered as a bespoke gun to what you want.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin