ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: If money no object, what's the best perazzi gun?
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes. Take advantage of this.

I had a custom gun built in 1999 as an Argentina gun. Hard to beat this option.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:35 pm 
Limited Edition

sera wrote:
Yes. Take advantage of this.

I had a custom gun built in 1999 as an Argentina gun. Hard to beat this option.

So, is it better to deal directly with Perazzi when you do that?

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 1:07 am 
Tournament Grade

What about MX-10? I heard it is MX-8 with adjustable rib and stock.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:32 am 
Tournament Grade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkdRji7BTo0

the fitting etc is all FOC, you just have to get to Brescia. I'll be doing another video leter this year with a bit more info around the trip, and the experience, rather than just the well documented part about getting the gun fitted.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My Italian was inadequate to deal directly w/ Perazzi. I needed a translator.

If trap is the only thing you'll ever shoot, fine. BUT I am shooting everything w/ my gun.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 11:36 am 
Field Grade

I just received my new MX8 after 8 long months which I ordered through Pacific Sporting Arms East. Kudos to John Fournier as he gave good advice over 4 months as I decided what I wanted but most important his gun fitting for me is spot on perfect and I mean perfect. Rest of the gun is as ordered as well and I couldn't be happier with their service.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

DrDoLittle wrote:
I just received my new MX8 after 8 long months which I ordered through Pacific Sporting Arms East. Kudos to John Fournier as he gave good advice over 4 months as I decided what I wanted but most important his gun fitting for me is spot on perfect and I mean perfect. Rest of the gun is as ordered as well and I couldn't be happier with their service.

can you get adjustable comb/buttplate with MX8? I'm wondering if it is worth it to spend extra $ for MX10 with adjustable rib.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 2:01 pm 
Field Grade

Certainly you can get a comb, adjustable butt plate is aftermarket as far as I know. Shouldn't need either if properly fitted. Addition of either might change the balance of the gun and is an added expense too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:36 pm 
Utility Grade

I went out to shot show and got fitted for a High Tech by David Radulovich and Mauro. Ordered it in June....can't wait for it to come in. Hopefully this year

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

I flew from the PNW to Burbank, CA. Rented a car, drove to see John H. @ PSA. We went directly to Perazzi USA where I got fitted for a MX-12. Loved the gun I ordered a MX-20 the next year ( they had all my measurements on hand ) as in the south where I winter smaller gauges are more common. Best decision I ever made beside the woman I married. Good luck, but if your worried about your neck, custom fitting is the only way to go! They will also advise you on rib height and pattern placement. Notime2 {hs#

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:33 pm 
Diamond Grade

I owned both the MX8 (well... the MX2000/8, which is the same thing but with different engraving) and the MX12 both purchased from Pacific Sporting Arms in Azusa, CA. After extensively shooting leaf and coil spring based triggers (respectively), I honestly could not tell any difference. If I would be buying a Perazzi today, I would definitely go with the fixed trigger MX12. I very much prefer MX12's barrel selector on top vs. MX8's behind the trigger. Also, MX12 has slightly thicker wood left around the trigger assembly.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Not to be more of a butthead than I am usually , but I would recommend that a shooter w/ very little experience does not yet know what features he really likes and might be overwhelmed by all the selection that is available in a made to measure Perazzi.

Get some experience and you'll know way better what features you like.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

A good start https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... eae9c47581

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:06 pm 
Diamond Grade

sera wrote:
Not to be more of a butthead than I am usually , but I would recommend that a shooter w/ very little experience does not yet know what features he really likes and might be overwhelmed by all the selection that is available in a made to measure Perazzi.

Agree 100%. I would order a custom gun after shooting various brands and configurations extensively to know exactly what works and what doesn't.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

sera wrote:

Not being a butthead...this is excellent advice. Sounds as though the OP is fairly new to the game, so I suspect there needs to be some good training by a competent instructor as to understanding and developing proper mount, stance, aim, sight picture, etc. Also needs to practice enough to become consistent in the mount so that the fit of the gun is consistent and, as you said, to better know what features in a gun would work well for his particular needs and style of shooting.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:39 pm 
Limited Edition

mortum wrote:
I owned both the MX8 (well... the MX2000/8, which is the same thing but with different engraving) and the MX12 both purchased from Pacific Sporting Arms in Azusa, CA. After extensively shooting leaf and coil spring based triggers (respectively), I honestly could not tell any difference. If I would be buying a Perazzi today, I would definitely go with the fixed trigger MX12. I very much prefer MX12's barrel selector on top vs. MX8's behind the trigger. Also, MX12 has slightly thicker wood left around the trigger assembly.

Are there any mechanical difference between a MX12 and a MT6? Perazzi is awesome at rebranding/marketing. I love my MX8 and haven't seen any upgrades to the function of the gun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:20 pm 
Presentation Grade

Tvbh40a wrote:
mortum wrote:

Are there any mechanical difference between a MX12 and a MT6? Perazzi is awesome at rebranding/marketing. I love my MX8 and haven't seen any upgrades to the function of the gun

Lockup in the receiver is the same (square monobloc w/bifurcated lumps). The lever release plunger on the MT6 is at the 12 o'clock position, while at the 9 o'clock position on the MX12. Early MT6s had a unique push button-style forearm latch. Later MT6s had a Type 4 forearm latch. MT6s have slightly raised ribs...I haven't measured, but I'd say about half of a typical mid-rib gun (also, I think the earlier ribs are fractionally taller than later ribs). MT6s barrels don't have side ribs. The later MT6s with the flat sides (earlier ones have stripes machined into the receivers) and type 4 forearms tend to be more highly desired since some folks think they look better and you can swap any type 4 barrel on them, but if you're not planning on swapping barrels, I wouldn't pay the extra $1,000+ premium for a later MT6.

I don't think any of the differences between MX12s, early MT6s, and later MT6s affect their ability to break targets.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

A friend who shot an MX8 extensively for about 15 years had to send his trigger in for repair twice due to a bent part. He told me that an MX8 will double fire and/or bend a part in the trigger if someone switches the barrel selector and then fires the gun without having engaged and disengaged the safety. Is that really true? Have they changed that with the HT?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:15 pm 
Limited Edition

Sera would know best.

Last edited by Tvbh40a on Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have a Hi Tech and an MX 8. To change the bbl selector , you must.

1. open the gun
2. put the safety on
3. move the selector --all the way over
4. take off safety
5. add shells and close the gun.

skipping a step or moving the safety tab 1/2 way will lead to doubling and other bad things