ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Patterned my High Tech,,,
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 8:07 am 
Tournament Grade

oldnnp wrote:
I have had the same experience patterning my gun with good stuff, promo shells and spreaders. It amazes me how the patterns open up as you move to the promo shells and then the spreaders. Number of my friends have had the same results. I forget what pro shooter said this: “ there is no ammunition out there that I can out perform!”

Oliver

That attitude usually changes when they get an ammo sponsor. Some Pro’s have gone through numerous “best ammo in the world” sponsors.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 8:13 am 
Limited Edition

oldnnp wrote:
I have had the same experience patterning my gun with good stuff, promo shells and spreaders. It amazes me how the patterns open up as you move to the promo shells and then the spreaders. Number of my friends have had the same results. I forget what pro shooter said this: “ there is no ammunition out there that I can out perform!”

Oliver

Bob Brister used a promo Fast load as a spreader when upland hunting !
I prefer to load my own as there are proven techniques from the old days , that work !

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 1:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

Got the barrels yesterday so back to the pattern board and shoot some birds.
Due to 97 degree temps I only shot LM/LM. Pattern opened up to 25/25 inches @30 yds
Previous patterns were a tight 20in Mod and 18 IM. Clever Bol’Dor ammo was the most consistent, (1245, 1oz, 7.5) My old preferred load (1oz, 1290 Nitros)had an irregular pattern.
Bornaghi 1250 1oz 7.5 were decent. Shot 6 stations, longest bird was 45/50 yd crosser, multiple overhead tower shots and my favorite rabbit. Very happy with the results so far. I have more confidence with the gun now so that’s half the battle for me. I’ll try the other chokes once I can get out earlier.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 7:07 am 
Limited Edition

I have departed the pattern board for use in determining both quality loads and gun fit some time ago.

In the first case, evaluating choke/pattern performance, the pattern board is just a very rough two dimensional representation of a three dimensional phenomenon. And as the late Bob Brister showed us decades ago, one must shoot a lot of patterns to find meaningful data.

On the second piece, patterning for gun fit, I have yet to see somebody who could truly avoid aiming at the dot. This is not how we approach a target when wingshooting. We do a lot of subconscious things, such that with correct technique many folks see the barrel/bird relationship differently. In my experience, the gun fit business is largely accomplished in the shooting and not on the plate.

There is value in shooting patterns, in my view, but this is limited to evaluating the proper barrel boring and alignment as well as barrel convergence in the case of double guns. In these cases, one should aim along a flat rib, preferably from a rest. The patterns should center on the aiming point. If they don’t, there is something technically wrong with the gun that needs fixing.

Before sending a barrel to a chop shop for modification, especially a Perazzi barrel, I would certainly shoot it with a variety of ammo and evaluate how it breaks targets. Better yet, have a qualified and savvy instructor or astute observer watch your breaks, and over hundreds of targets. I have come to believe that this is the only really true way to judge barrel/chokes/ammo. You may find some barrel adjustment is then required, or not. It is a fool’s errand to make permanent adjustments to the gun without really understanding what it is doing in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 8:38 am 
Tournament Grade

I’ve owned the gun since last Christmas, I averaged 1.5 flats per week for 4 months with a variety of ammo. I shoot with numerous M class shooters/instructors,,,,I know the gun. My only regret is not having this barrel sent to a chop shop when I bought the gun. In honor of your astute knowledge and criticisms, I having the gun hydro dipped in a “Hello Kitty” theme.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:03 am 
Limited Edition

LOL Great reply. Briley's a chop shop?

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:17 am 
Limited Edition

Heaven’s no...Briley is of course not a chop shop. I was a bit tongue in cheek, especially wrt Briley.