ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Removing and cleaning ejectors
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:50 am 
Tournament Grade

I decided to do a deep clean on my HT yesterday,,,Holding the barrel mid length, pushed the ejector in against a block in my vice until the retaining puck can be picked out. Disassemble and clean from there.
There has to be a better/easier way? I’m thinking some type of compression tool

Post subject: Re: Removing and cleaning ejectors
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:24 am 
Crown Grade

That’s how I do it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:48 am 
Crown Grade

Actually there is a tool. Good luck finding one though. Not sure if they were mass produced at one time, or perhaps a few made in someones basement with a bit of ingenuity. Either way, I'd be the first in line to buy one if they came available. Appears the tool will not only aid in pushing ejector forward, but also hold the ejector "compressed" hands free, till time to re-install mag disc. A Godsend for those of us with arthritis or finger weakness. Perhaps of interest to Don Rackley or Whiz White ??

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

That would work
At least there’s a hole in the puck,,,I used a dental pick to grab it while I held the barrel
Of course I dropped the puck. My garage floor is epoxied a grey/white/black speckle finish.
A big magnet is your friend

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:00 pm 
Crown Grade

I've found keeping the disc AND the disc recess clean (then a drop of light oil).......allows the disc to pop right out with a small strong earth magnet. When I first received my MX10RS barrels, the previous owner wasn't a big fan of ejector maintenance. The disc was almost fused in, and covered with so much gunk, the disc was hardly visible. Damn thing would not come out with picks/mags...etc. Used a heat gun just enough to loosen crap, and somehow, miraculously it came free. (.....naturally all the while having bbls on floor with muzzle against the wall, and a 8" piece of 2" X 2" compressing the ejector with my knee, keeping both hands free. Should have video taped it, America's Funniest Home Videos would have led off the show with it........lol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:33 am 
Tournament Grade

Karl McKnight, the resident gunsmith here at Tucson Trap & Skeet, squeezes the ejector closed with his fingers and plucks out the disc.....but no one wants to arm wrestle with Karl either!
Being old and arthritic I push the ejector against the edge of my workbench and use a mechanics magnet to pull our / reinsert the disc. Works great, just don't make any jerky moves.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

I find the easiest method to remove Perazzi ejectors is to push the ejector against the corner of my wooden work bench while taking a magnet to lift out the puck.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:37 pm 
Crown Grade

Problem lies, when the little booger gets stuck, and you need both hands free. Then you wish you either had that tool up there, or one of your ex wives around to lend a hand........................

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

^^^^^^^ This

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:41 am 
Field Grade

I get the idea of a tool, but most every gunsmith I know presses the ejector in using the edge of the workbench or the shaft of the vise. I have seen Karl compress the ejectors by hand.

For “Stuck” Ejector Lock Buttons, a shot or 2 of compressed air will usually unstick them. Be very careful!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:48 pm 
Utility Grade

As others have said, press the barrels against the corner of a wood block to depress ejector fully. Use a magnet to remove the "button". Remove ejector, spring, and plunger carefully. Use the steel pin from the Perazzi took kit (or a properly sized pin punch) to make reinstallation of the button easier. May I suggest grinding approximately 1/4" off each spring (quenching frequently to avoid overheating). The reduced spring pressure will make ejectors last longer and ease closing the gun.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:45 am 
Utility Grade

Phxfa wrote:
I decided to do a deep clean on my HT yesterday,,,Holding the barrel mid length, pushed the ejector in against a block in my vice until the retaining puck can be picked out. Disassemble and clean from there.
There has to be a better/easier way? I’m thinking some type of compression tool

I was lucky enough to see an old Perazzi man doing the operation.
The same way.
You just need to do that 100 times a day.
;-)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:57 pm 
Presentation Grade

Never seen the tool before, sure would make this chore a little easier, but using the prescribed method it's not hard, but more than once I've dropped the puck. Usually on the way back in.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:07 am 
Presentation Grade

I just stand barrel muzzle down on pad. Push the ejector in with my thumb and put button in using a little pin