ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone know what the deal is with Doug Braker?
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

About two years ago I sent my MX-8 to Doug Braker in Minnesota (as I recall) for a tune-up. He did an outstanding job at a very reasonable price. All is well with the gun but just to say "hello", I tried to call the number I still had for him. I think it's out of service. Can't find him on the web anywhere either.

Anyone have any information on his whereabouts?

Post subject: Re: Anyone know what the deal is with Doug Braker?
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:13 pm 
Limited Edition

Have wondered about that myself. Approx. 8 years ago he totally overhauled my TMX and I still get comments on how good that gun looks even today. Perhaps we over worked the talented man.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

People on trapshooters.com know but won't say, some sort of secret or something. His FFL is still valid until November.

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

Maybe he wants out of the business and doesn't want a million people calling/bugging him. IDK. Whatever it is, I wish him the best.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:36 pm 

Google says that he is permanently closed.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

the45er wrote:
Maybe he wants out of the business and doesn't want a million people calling/bugging him. IDK. Whatever it is, I wish him the best.

Normally when a high profile gunsmith wants to get out of the business they make an announcement well in advance so people can get their in-process projects finished up, find alternatives, make last minute orders for hard to find parts they may be the only source for, ect. Doug pretty much just fell of the face of the Earth, and those that do know only make cryptic comments of "he's not coming back" and "find someone else to work on your guns", which just leaves people to speculate as to what really happened.

The last website grab Internet Archive has is from July 10, 2018, and makes no mention of retiring.

I haven't read anything that would indicate that anyone is out money or their gun (as has happened frequently in the past when a one-man-show gunsmith dies or gets into financial/legal trouble), just a very strange occurance.

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

Skeet_Man wrote:
the45er wrote:

Normally when a high profile gunsmith wants to get out of the business they make an announcement well in advance so people can get their in-process projects finished up, find alternatives, make last minute orders for hard to find parts they may be the only source for, ect. Doug pretty much just fell of the face of the Earth, and those that do know only make cryptic comments of "he's not coming back" and "find someone else to work on your guns", which just leaves people to speculate as to what really happened.

The last website grab Internet Archive has is from July 10, 2018, and makes no mention of retiring.

I haven't read anything that would indicate that anyone is out money or their gun (as has happened frequently in the past when a one-man-show gunsmith dies or gets into financial/legal trouble), just a very strange occurance.

Interesting and logical analysis. I guess we'll never know, but I agree just "disappearing" doesn't seem to reflect the professionalism he showed while in business. I hope he's not critically ill or suffering some other "life malady" that has prompted this weird behavior.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 2:32 pm 
Field Grade

Doug is not doing gun work now, there are several of grassy knoll theories.

If anyone needs their Perazzi gun worked I can do all action repairs and I do lots of trigger work.

For actions, I can:
Perform yearly maintenance, replace locking blocks to move your toplever to the right, provide and install custom top levers, fix cocking problems, replace ejectors and fix ejector timing issues.

For triggers, I can set pull weights, reduce creep and I harden the tree so the trigger will be more consistent over time.

My standard turnaround time is 1-2 days, my prices are very reasonable and I am a FFL holder.

Don Rackley

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:33 am 
Limited Edition

And I'll vouch that Don is terrific to do business with!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:04 pm 
Diamond Grade

Don is outstanding and has a sterling reputation.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:05 am 
Tournament Grade

Don Rackley wrote:
Doug is not doing gun work now, there are several of grassy knoll theories.

If anyone needs their Perazzi gun worked I can do all action repairs and I do lots of trigger work.

For actions, I can:
Perform yearly maintenance, replace locking blocks to move your toplever to the right, provide and install custom top levers, fix cocking problems, replace ejectors and fix ejector timing issues.

For triggers, I can set pull weights, reduce creep and I harden the tree so the trigger will be more consistent over time.

My standard turnaround time is 1-2 days, my prices are very reasonable and I am a FFL holder.

Don Rackley

It was a great pleasure visiting with you on the phone a few weeks ago. With Doug Braker gone, it's a good feeling knowing there's a reputable Perazzi 'smith right here in my home state! I'm still working on whether or not to buy one of your external selectable trigger groups. Just don't know if the need to change chokes that often warrants the expenditure! Take care Don and HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:47 am 
Utility Grade

I am new to this page and I do know. I brought light to the subject on trapshooters.com forum and I got Banned. Doug is not in the gun smith business anymore. If you want more info on the subject, go to the MN DOC website and see for your self. I am in no means trying to throw anyone under the bus but the community deserves to know. I took many guns to Doug and its sad to see him no longer in the game.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:48 am 

For those that are more curious. Public record.
https://coms.doc.state.mn.us/publicview ... 306/Search

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:12 pm 
Limited Edition

Wow. But Thanks for the follow up / closure

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:20 am 
Limited Edition

I'm very saddened by this news. Thanks Curly for letting us know.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:19 pm 
Field Grade

Sad indeed. Still, Don Rackley will get your Perazzi back to form. He did wonders to my ols and tired MX8

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:58 am 
Utility Grade

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category ... 587569510/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:44 pm 
Utility Grade

Wow, he worked on several of my guns and was extremely professional. Sad.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:00 pm 

m3scott wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Government-Organization/Cass-County-Attorneys-Office-959380587569510/

Scroll to Oct 4, 2019

Mark Twain

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 4:30 am 
Tournament Grade

sad indeed looks like the guy had problems