ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Perazzi MT6 Variants
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:15 am 
Presentation Grade

I originally posted this in another thread, but figured more folks would be interested in it aside from those reading the other thread.

Serial number rules for MX8s regarding determining Type 4 do *not* apply to MT6s! There are older, striped receiver MT6s with 100,000+ serial numbers...I owned one!
Nearest I can tell from owning each of the below, there are three types of MT6 receivers, with two types of forend lugs, and two styles of chokes. In order from oldest to newest receiver types:

Striped receivers: Blued, with machined horizontal lines in them. Lever lock release pin at 12 o’clock. Came with MT6-only forend lug and 1st gen chokes (threaded near top)

Early non-striped receivers: I’ve only seen them case-hardened, but there might’ve been blued ones. Came with Type 4 forend lug. I believe some came with 1st gen chokes and some came with 2nd gen (threads toward bottom of choke). Lever lock release pin at 12 o’clock.

Late non-striped receivers: I’ve only seen them blued, but there might’ve been case-hardened ones. Came with Type 4 forend lug and 2nd gen chokes. Lever lock release pin at 9 o’clock. Nearest I can tell, all parts in the receiver are identical to a current production MX12 with the exception of the top lever locking piece (part 111) and lever return spring (121), both of which can be swapped to the current configuration when they wear out for about $50-60, and the trigger blade and trigger return spring (can’t remember part numbers or specific names) which shouldn’t matter unless you want to swap out the actual trigger blade for a setback trigger blade.

Obviously, the newer two are more desirable, particularly because they have Type 4 forend irons so you can swap on any current square monobloc Type 4 barrels. Parts availability for all is pretty good, except for possibly the unique MT6 forend iron and maybe the trigger blades, neither of which are wear items. Even newer trigger blades can be adapted by drilling a hole in the top of the newer trigger to hold the older style trigger return spring. I’m pretty sure the parts for the 12 o’clock lever lock release pin guns are still available as that configuration was used in a ton of Perazzis, including earlier MX8s, DB81s, Grand Italias, etc. 1st gen chokes are available from 2-3 places. Wrights may still sell them. I’ve seen Angleport 1st gen chokes. Briley will custom make them (but takes a while and pricey). Best place (and best chokes, IMHO) is Teague, in England. Even with shipping, they’re cheaper than anyone else (maybe except Angleport; never priced them), and they’re high quality, and Teague’s customer service is excellent.

Function-wise, they all move and shoot the same.

Post subject: Re: Perazzi MT6 Variants
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

I can't say about the MT6 trigger variations since I have only a 1984 proofed gun. However AFA the blued and gold triggers for the MX series go the ones I've taken apart have no interchangeability at all. The housings and the triggers are machined so differently that neither goes with the other. Of course all of the other parts in the trigger group interchange back to 1968 or so with some minor fitting maybe.
Just what I've seen - I could be worng
Charlie

Post subject: Re: Perazzi MT6 Variants
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

Wonko the Sane wrote:
I can't say about the MT6 trigger variations since I have only a 1984 proofed gun. However AFA the blued and gold triggers for the MX series go the ones I've taken apart have no interchangeability at all. The housings and the triggers are machined so differently that neither goes with the other. Of course all of the other parts in the trigger group interchange back to 1968 or so with some minor fitting maybe.
Just what I've seen - I could be worng
Charlie

Just to clarify, when you say "MX series" are you referring to the removable trigger MX8-type guns, or are you referring to the fixed trigger MX12-type guns, or are erroneously lumping them all together? Because the removable trigger and fixed trigger guns are *very* different. Obviously, the MT6s are related to the fixed trigger MX12s, not the removable trigger MX8s.