ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Barrel with no sideribs
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 3:26 pm 
Field Grade

I’m looking at a used Perazzi 32” O/U barrel with no sideribs. Is this good, bad, or doesn’t matter? Thanks

Post subject: Re: Barrel with no sideribs
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 4:05 pm 
Diamond Grade

It may end up being an old one. I haven't seen one since I owned a Mirage Special Sporting back in the '90s.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 11:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

IIRC, you can special order barrels without them. Also, I can think of a couple Perazzis that came standard with barrels without sideribs, both had slightly higher than flat ramped top ribs. Both were available with 31.5" barrels.

One was the MT6, (their barrels had "MT-6" marked on them). MT6 barrels also come standard with screw-in choke tubes; earlier ones forend latch that is unique to only the MT6 and chokes with threads closer to the muzzle that were found only on the earlier TM1s and MT6s (spare and aftermarket chokes are harder to find), later ones had a Type 4 forend latch. Some of the later ones with the Type 4 forend latch also had chokes with threads closer to the bottom of the choke (more common Perazzi Generation 3 chokes).

Another was the MX3 Special. IIRC, these were typically fixed choke as IM/F, though I think there were some MX3C Specials, which had screw-in chokes (I think Gen 3).

Nothing wrong with any of the above, though there are some things you should keep in mind depending on what forend latch and what your expectations are regarding chokes.

Incidentally, if it's a set of the earlier MT6 barrels that accepts the chokes with the threads closer to the muzzle (regardless of which type of forend latch, I've got both), and you're not interested, PM the details and contact info of the seller, as I might be interested.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 9:29 am 
Utility Grade

FWIW, I’ve got an MX 8 with no side ribs on its 32 inch barrels, serial number in the 140,000 range.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 11:48 am 
Limited Edition

My mx8 live bird gun came new with out side ribs. 29.5 inch barrels. When live bird became unique Perazzi sold these cheap. I purchased a NIB from Giacomo for $3800. I picked up another one from Higrade with an extra stock for $3950. Those were the days.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 2:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Love the look of no side ribs on my circa 2004 MX8. Honestly I just don't like side ribs in general.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 4:02 pm 
Diamond Grade

Forgive my ignorance for asking. But gaining knowledge about Perazzis has been an incremental thing for me, and my question is something I've been wondering about:

I have heard references regarding ribs coming loose and needing to be reattached, and such being a not uncommon occurrence on some older Perazzis. Is it the side ribs rather than the top ribs that come loose occasionally?

I've been wanting to own a used Perazzi for quite some time, but am still researching (kind of slowly!). I'm getting closer, and since I'm going to go used and have a limited budget, so far, I'm focusing on older versions.

I figured now is as good a time as any to clarify the loose rib issue. I don't mind having no side ribs and if I had the luxury of buying new, I'd go without side ribs anyway. So far, I'm liking the late version MT 6, but I'm still searching and learning. One doesn't have to worry about loose side ribs if they aren't present to begin with.

Thanks.

Last edited by Grouse Gunner on Fri May 15, 2020 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 4:10 pm 
Crown Grade

Mostly an overblown ‘internet’ problem. Sure, you’ll hear of folks having the issue from time to time, but by percentage, it’s literally not worth worrying about.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 6:49 pm 
Crown Grade

Grouse Gunner wrote:
Forgive my ignorance for asking. But gaining knowledge about Perazzis has been an incremental thing for me, and my question is something I've been wondering about:

I have heard references regarding ribs coming loose and needing to be reattached, and such being a not uncommon occurrence on some older Perazzis. Is it the side ribs rather than the top ribs that come loose occasionally?

I've been wanting to own a used Perazzi for quite some time, but am still researching (kind of slowly!). I'm getting closer, and since I'm going to go used and have a limited budget, so far, I'm focusing on older versions.

I figured now is as good a time as any to clarify the loose rib issue. I don't mind having no side ribs and if I had the luxury of buying new, I'd go without side ribs anyway. So far, I'm liking the late version MT 6, but I'm still searching and learning. One doesn't have to worry about loose side ribs if they aren't present to begin with.

Thanks.

If, as you say, you are looking used, it takes just a second to check the side ribs if they are loose. There has been much said about this problem and why it happens. Suppose there are many answers but for me, the barrels got too hot (some say that's impossible) but it happened in the summer with the temp. running 95-101 degrees and a lot of fast shooting. Giacomo fixed it as he has also fixed a squadmates just recently.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 12:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

Rooster booster wrote:
Mostly an overblown ‘internet’ problem. Sure, you’ll hear of folks having the issue from time to time, but by percentage, it’s literally not worth worrying about.

I have been shooting a Perazzi since 1978 and I am not sure it is not worth worrying about. I shoot with a number of Perazzi owners and they all have had barrels with side ribs that have come loose. Does not matter the grade of the Perazzi; happens to MX8's and SCO's. Reputable gunsmiths say the cause is the quality of the solder and the quantity or lack there of used to hold them in place. Heat is a culprit. The barrels with 3/4 length side ribs are more vulnerable than barrels with full length side ribs. The ribs come loose first where they are fixed in between the barrels towards the monobloc, this is where there is the most heat, expansion, and vibration. If you keep shooting the barrel the ribs will continue to loosen all the way to the muzzle. Not sure if this problem has decreased with more recent production. If barrels have had forcing cone work done or back-boring, they are at higher risk of ribs coming loose. I do not have statistics to quantify the issue, but I speak to many Perazzi owners and they all say it is an issue and the first thing they inspect when buying a Perazzi.

Oliver de Gravelle III

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 2:31 pm 
Crown Grade

‘By percentage’ it’s not worth worrying about is what I said.

I’ve been shooting them since the 80’s. Also with a group, but it’s never happened. And personally, I’ve gotten two guns so hot, you could’ve cooked on the barrels.

If it were truly a regular occurrence, none of us would own the damn things.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 5:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have shot Perazzis since 1995. I have never seen the side ribs loosen on any of my guns nor anyone else's either.

Oliver is a Perazzi God , so if he says they can come loose , I won't argue. I just have never seen it.

I gave a Perazzi a torture test in Argentina about 2003. I shot 425 shells in about 30-40 minutes and my gun was too hot to hold even w/ gloves. I had to stop shooting for a while to keep from burning my left hand (fore-arm hand). The gun was fine , no damage and went right back to work. I stupidly sold that gun to a plastic surgeon friend for $1200 more than I paid for it. I am crying over that. One of my guns has over 80,ooo shells thru it. No problem w/ the side-ribs.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 6:10 pm 
Crown Grade

Rooster booster wrote:
‘By percentage’ it’s not worth worrying about is what I said.

I’ve been shooting them since the 80’s. Also with a group, but it’s never happened. And personally, I’ve gotten two guns so hot, you could’ve cooked on the barrels.

If it were truly a regular occurrence, none of us would own the damn things.

Well, your right and I'm wondering why I own 3. However, the fly in the ointment could be barrel work, had it on all 3 and my squadmates also.............hmmm.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 6:49 pm 
Crown Grade

No doubt it can happen.......but again, by percentage of occurrence, if it was nearly as prevalent as It sounds on the interweb, they wouldn’t be considered top line comp guns, and hopefully none of us that own them, shoot the hell out of them, would do so.

They are as dependable and trouble free as any top line comp gun. And no, I have no affiliation or interest in Perazzi, other than spending a boatload buying them over the years.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

Maybe you could get the barrel you want and have the ribs removed.?

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:34 pm 
Presentation Grade

Seems to be a yes and no problem.
Where I shoot in the Pacific Northwest I have witnessed about half of the MX8 - MX2000 and SC3 ribs come loose, some more than once.
Even just a few is too many in my mind and cannot understand why Perazzi has not addressed the problem.

CT

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 2:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

searun wrote:
Seems to be a yes and no problem.
Where I shoot in the Pacific Northwest I have witnessed about half of the MX8 - MX2000 and SC3 ribs come loose, some more than once.
Even just a few is too many in my mind and cannot understand why Perazzi has not addressed the problem.

CT

The post below says they have. 2012

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 6:05 pm 
Field Grade

I posted in an earlier post a year or so ago that I have an mx12, with two barrels. A few years ago my 29.5” barrel side ribs came loose, Giacomo redone and did a great job. My 31.5 barrel side ribs also came loose and at the time of last posting I had the ribs wired together, which worked OK cause it was under forearm. I shot like that for a year or so.
Last fall I sent the barrel to Dan and had him eliminate the side ribs. Made the barrels look like a hanger type barrel. Another great job, they really look good. I have not shot these barrels much because of Covid. I take very good care of this gun, not sure how i ended up with two barrels with side rib issues

Some folks may say I ruined the barrels, I plan to keep the gun, in fact it may be buried with me as I got so much money wrapped up in it, Can’t afford to sell it!

Glad to hear newer guns do not have the side rib issues.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 9:19 pm 
Crown Grade

Myself and a squadmate are sending our Pguns to Lucio tomorrow, Monday, to have the side ribs pinned.

Mine are just starting to come loose and he is doing his out of precaution. After I get this one back and it seems to be ok, sending another that Giacomo put the barrels back together last year, just as a precaution that they don't separate again. Another squadmate has his barrels at Giacomo's now having his barrels fixed and he intends to do the same upon their return to send to Lucio for pinning.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 7:12 am 
Tournament Grade

4th. Down,
Could you Please list each of the Perazzi models, year manufactured, and any previous barrel work performed other than FACTORY, that you and your squad mates are sending to Lucio
for pinning?
Thanks in advance.
Best,
Breakemall
Western North Carolina.