ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Barrel with no sideribs
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 11:52 am 
Crown Grade

BREAKEMALL wrote:
4th. Down,
Could you Please list each of the Perazzi models, year manufactured, and any previous barrel work performed other than FACTORY, that you and your squad mates are sending to Lucio
for pinning?
Thanks in advance.
Best,
Breakemall
Western North Carolina.

Sure, be glad to but only mine - I don't know the particulars of my squadmates except that a MX12 had barrel work and the MX8 did not, and the barrels have NOT separated on the MX8, but he's doing this as a precaution.

My situation - Mirage Sporting Special, '96, fixed chokes, barrel work. MX8, 2003, custom ext. chokes and barrel work.

I purchased both of my Perazzi used with approx. 50K rounds in them with no previous barrel work. The ribs were ok when purchased because my inspecting gunsmith said they were and to my eyes they were also. He said that the first thing he looks for on Perazzi work are the side ribs.

All of mine and my squadmates barrels have separated during hot Houston weather with a lot of fast continuous shooting without taking the forearms off or pouring water over the barrels.

There are some shooters that say this is impossible but it is what it is.

Update on barrel separation and repair 6-5-20. Lucio said today that actually his MX8, my squadmates, (no previous barrel work) had started to come loose and he pinned the barrels - coming back to us Monday, 3 day turnaround.

When I receive my Mirage back and the work looks good, I may, along with another squadmate that has the MX12, we will decide whether to send our repaired barrel separation by Giacomo to Lucio so he can pin them also as a precaution. Lucio says they will not separate again, so we will see about that once they are pinned.

Update on side ribs - 6-12-20 - Well, Lucio did a 3 day turnaround but 2nd. day air with UPS, once again, not good. No barrels and UPS doesn't know where they are. Said they would get back the first part of next week. Shipped over to Lucio with FEDEX 2nd. day air, no problem. UPS is the worst.

Update conclusion: 6-15-20 - Received barrels back from Lucio, pristine workmanship, so the hassle was well worth it.

As the world turns. While my Mirage was with Lucio, I was shooting my MX8 which the barrels had previously separated in '18 and repaired by Giacomo. and now separated again, even with taking the forearm off and pouring water over the barrels. So, now it's off to Lucio.

Last edited by 4th. down on Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 4:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks 4th. Down.
Great info.
Best,
Breakemall
Western North Carolina

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 5:00 pm 
Limited Edition

I was told Perazzi has switched from lead to silver solder to cure the issue. I hope this is the case as I acquired a HT just as covid hit the nation. Just started shooting it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:06 pm 
Crown Grade

This Lucio is really something. Did pinning on my side ribs and 2 other squadmates last week and now did another one for me, 1 day turn around.........yep, 1 day and $120 bucks. Once in awhile you can get something right.

PS - he's also pinning side ribs, post 2013 Perazzi manufacturing.