ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Some Interesting tidbits on a couple of special guns
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:07 pm 
Utility Grade

I had been super busy they last few months, but wanted to share some info about some interesting Perazzi guns I recently worked on. Both customers have graciously agreed to let me share details of these guns on the condition they remain unnamed.

First off is serial # 30090, I finished the rebuild yesterday. This is a 26 1/4" barrel SC1 gun with both barrels marked "CL" fitted to a smooth non sculpted receiver. No starts or circle marks to indicate chokes, but "CL". No barrel weight was stamped on the barrel. It arrived in a Abercrombie & Fitch marked luggage style gun case. The proof mark are XXII indicating a proof date of 1966. Lippard's book references this gun by serial number on page 34 as being a skeet gun which certainly seems appropriate for the manufacturing date.

This Type1 gun had all the old style parts I have seen before, flat cocking bar, old style ejectors, left side stop plate but it also had something I had not seen on other guns. Both hammer springs had the side pin that went into the same hole in the center rib of the trigger. The Type1 guns I have seen do not use the same leaf hammer springs that are used in the Type2 through current guns. Although it did not need one, I test fit a current top lever to verify fit into the receiver. This is a very unique gun and even though it's 54 years old it is still ready to shoot and be enjoyed!

The next gun is serial # 10039 and is a very special shotgun. While this serial number is rather nondescript, Perazzi aficionados might recognize this gun as one of the first 50 small frame guns Perazzi ever made. While just being in the first run of 50 is interesting, as we dig deeper, the gun gets much more interesting.

While Lippard's book references this build from 1979-1984 on page 23, on page 30, more details of these guns are offered and the build window is defined as 1978-1980. Lippard mentions that only 3 of the 50 guns are known to have drop trigger leaf springs. Just having a drop trigger gun from this small frame build would be rare.

This gun is not specifically mentioned by serial number, but I can attest that it is a drop trigger 20 ga gun, SCO Sideplate engraved by A. Galeazzi and with a "71" under the engravers signature. The barrel proof marks are also 1971. The Diana goddess of the hunt scenes are beautiful and well executed. The sideplates have small screws to hold them in place like the old SHO guns (newer sideplates slide in place and are retained by tabs and the buttstock). Several parts in this gun had to be built or modified during the rebuild. Many of the internal parts of the gun were stamped 019 instead of the expected 039. A combination of a rare prototype, highly respected engraver and very unique feature set make this gun to be very unique, very likely the only one like it in the world!

Post subject: Re: Some Interesting tidbits on a couple of special guns
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:22 am 
Tournament Grade

Don,
Thanks for the GREAT article.
GOOD STUFF.
Best,
Breakemall
Western North Carolina