ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to me P?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:54 pm 
Presentation Grade

Came across a 70s model MX8 that wants to follow me home. I'd like feedback from this trustworthy source.

The gun was overhauled by Giacomo. Briley thin walls, 28.25" barrels, case hardened, with full Briley tubes. Wood has been refinished and looks good. Case hardened gun, selectable trigger. Barrel weight is 1.49, so it's fast. Front end is supposed to be Gen 4, but I haven't had it in my hands (yet). Lever is where you want it.

I'd post pics, but that would be like asking my dog to fly a space shuttle.

Downsides: Barrel and receiver numbers don't match, and the gun is ported in both barrels.

So what say you SGW, Perazzi page?

Post subject: Re: New to me P?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

Where is the lever release pin on the breechface? Oldest ones have it at 3 o'clock, older ones have it at 12 o'clock, and newest/current ones have it at 9 o'clock. Type 4 forend latch is good; it means the barrel will interchange (with fitting) with any current square monobloc barrel. Barrels are shorter than what's popular these days. Most folks want nothing shorter than 29.5" for skeet and bunker, and a lot prefer 31.5" or longer for sporting and trap; that said, if you like them, you could use that info as a bargaining chip. Selectable trigger is desirable, especially if it's an externally selectable one...they're more expensive than internally selectable triggers. I wouldn't sweat the fact that the serial numbers don't match. More than probably most other guns, folks tend to swap barrels and triggers...as long as everything is fitted correctly, I wouldn't let mismatched serial numbers stop me.

Post subject: Re: New to me P?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If anyone can re-condition a Perazzi and bring it up to snuff , it's Giacomos. Likely Dan Lokker did the work.

I wouldn't pay top dollar for a Frankenstein gun , but for a shooter , it'll do fine.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.