ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ordering an MX20 would like some input
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:44 pm 
Diamond Grade

Can't find what i want in the market used so going to order one.

What i want-

7 - 7 1/2lb
wider rib with tramline
29-30" bbl
better than fencepost wood
choke tubes

So that's where i'm at. Considering all nickel in which case i'd go mx2000s 20ga with nickel parts/trigger group. don't like mixing nickel and black lever/trigger plate.

Almost certain i need to order fixed choke and have briley screw it for weight savings.

indifferent to engraving on black. do not like the gold 'mx2000s' on black receiver. prefer engraving if all nickel.

gun will be used for upland and clays.

looking to build my lifetime 20ga gun. currently have a 20ga parcours and while it is absolutely beautiful i'm finding it doesn't shoot naturally for me.

Appreciate any insight you guys might have.

Post subject: Re: Ordering an MX20 would like some input
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:04 pm 
Crown Grade

Why not just order it with the fixed chokes you want? For hunting and clays (assuming NOT serious tournaments), IC/IM or LM/IM (depending on the hunting) should work.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:41 pm 
Diamond Grade

A good point. I did ask if I would be wise to go tighter fixed if planning to eventually thinwall it (thinking more meat on the barrel would be good) and dealer says doesn't matter. he suggested IC/LM. Maybe IC/M would be a good compromise. I think tighter than IC on bottom barrel might chew meat up a bit on closer birds.

I have great confidence in LM/LM on my 12ga clays gun but i'm a bit lost on translating 12ga choke experience to 20ga.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:17 pm 
Crown Grade

Look here for a good chart:
http://www.hallowellco.com/choke_chart.htm

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:03 am 
Diamond Grade

Big help thank you! I'm told Perazzi does chokes in .004 increments so maybe .008 and .016 would make sense.

I'm seeing some wood sets for sale out there causing me to wonder if i should order sporting wood with the gun and find a used field set for a quick change when i hit the field.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:45 am 
Field Grade

I'm with you on mixing blue and nickel. If the receiver is nickel I want the forend iron to be nickel too!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a High Tech sporter on order right now with a 20 ga frame but with 28ga bbls. Mine is 100% custom so ask your dealer for the custom order sheet so you can see the almost unlimited options for the same price of an off the rack model with NO price increase with the exception of wood upgrades and engraving. I chose the SC2 wood upgrade for a very reasonable price of about $800.00 This is the second High Tech I ordered from Rich Cole @ colegun.com and the process is very easy. He also gave me a great price and no, I have no special connection to him. My bunker shooting buddy bought a DT11 Bunker gun from Cole's and he too got a great price and service.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:45 pm 
Diamond Grade

Decided to go basic black MX20 with SC2 wood upgrade. Went with a sporting stock/field forearm. Agonizing over whether i should order a field stock to go with it at the same time. Doing fixed choke barrels to save weight.

I am friggin stoked! And nervous!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

Did your dealer give you a time estimate? My bunker gun took 6 1/2 months and the new one will take "all of 8 months" due to all the custom specs.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

8 mos was his guess.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:39 am 
Tournament Grade

Three years ago I ordered a MX20, 29” 410-28ga Set with SC2 wood. I already had a 30” 20ga barrel with my MX8/20 gun. Had the 20ga barrels fitted to both guns, so I basically have a 3 barrel set for the MX20. All barrels have factory screw chokes. This gun is my hunting gun, but I do shoot clays with it. I ordered the screw in choke option to be more versatile for different birds or clays.

If I were to do it over again I would get fixed chokes M/IM. That is pretty much all I use and the other chokes just sit in the box.

Never been a fan of having screw chokes installed on fixed choke barrels. Just my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:24 pm 
Limited Edition

birdhunter39 wrote:
Decided to go basic black MX20 with SC2 wood upgrade. Went with a sporting stock/field forearm. Agonizing over whether i should order a field stock to go with it at the same time. Doing fixed choke barrels to save weight.

I am friggin stoked! And nervous!

Why would you want another stock? If you have custom dimensions and the gun shoots where you want it to it won't matter if it's a clay or a bird. Just extra unnecessary expense in my opinion. Congrats and enjoy your new gun, Steve

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

I hope you had it fit to you.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:09 pm 
Diamond Grade

Have switched to Purdey stock.

Handled a sporting mx20 in stock that fit me perfectly so going to transfer those numbers to the field stock.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Does Purdey mean round knob???

I have one in MX 20 w/ a round knob pistol grip. Everyone shoots the gun well. It has a 2d 28g bbl w/ a solid rib to make the 2 matching weight.

This is my 2d Argentina set (I unwisely sold the 1st one).

Enjoy.

BTW , I have shot every gun I have ever owned better in the 20 (& 28) g set. Something about them.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:03 pm 
Diamond Grade

No, Purdey style is a very swept back pistol grip.

Al sent this pic to me; Woodward is on top, Purdey is on bottom-

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:34 pm 
Crown Grade

Typically referred to as a prince of Wales, or POW style grip. Gentler curve than most standard pistol grips, and therefore, slightly longer.