Shotgun Forum banner

Type 3 MX8 target price range?

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  mpolans 
#1 ·
Assuming average condition type 3 MX8 with no major mechanical issues, 30" plus barrels and lever not at 6 o'clock, what's a good target price you'd be looking for. 3k-3.5k? What would be the high side where'd you probably not go for a type 3 vintage?

Thanks!

#3 ·
Are you sure it's a type 3? That would put the gun at 30+ yrs old.

#4 ·
I'm just sort of asking in general terms, for what to keep an eye out for. I see the $3k's mentioned a lot but all of the ones I see for sale seem to be more, so I just wanted to double check to make sure I wasn't way off. I'm not looking for a freebie, just want to make sure I get a good deal.

There is 1 for sale at the local club. I have not seen it but know its available. Pretty sure it just got worked over at a place in NY and re-blued. I don't know that its a Type 3 for sure but do know there's a crack in the fore end. they are asking $4500 which seemed high to me, again, from everything that I've read (assuming its even a Type 3). But I'm also unsure of where all of these $3k's MX8s are.

#5 ·
You can find a good Type3 gun for $3k, but most are higher than that and you will need to hear of it early and act fast.

Guys are buying them up and I have done several conversions by changing the barrel lug and putting on new Type4 forend irons. That conversion will make the gun tight again and last much longer. It effectively makes the gun a Type4.

Remember, the forend change design and barrel lug was the design change from Type 3 to Type4.

#6 ·
Thanks Don, I def have your site bookmarked for hopefully later use, if we can pick one of these up.

I'm glad to hear the Type 4 converstion can help make it tight again. I didn't get a chance to handle the MX8 FS at the local club but my son did. He said it was loose, but all either him or I have experience with is a tight Silver Pigeon 1 with maybe 1500 rounds through it (so neither of us really know). So I'm not sure if that MX8 is "good" loose or "bad" loose but that was always in the back of my mind, what if we find an MX8 that is really too loose.

#7 ·
There were type 4 MT6 models made correct? Would the "rule" I remember hearing about, which advised that when buying used, for the most updated version, seek serial numbers above 8____(?) apply to the MT6?

ReaI don't remember the exact serial number cut off. I have that target serial number saved somewhere, just asking in general for now. That said, I too could probably live with a type 3 version with a lot of life left in it.

An MT6 is what I'm focused on. Thus far, I've never been able to handle one, let alone shoot one. I'm patient and satisfied improving my scores with my SP1, but a Perazzi is my bucket list gun.

#8 ·
FLGator said:
I'm just sort of asking in general terms, for what to keep an eye out for. I see the $3k's mentioned a lot but all of the ones I see for sale seem to be more, so I just wanted to double check to make sure I wasn't way off. I'm not looking for a freebie, just want to make sure I get a good deal.

There is 1 for sale at the local club. I have not seen it but know its available. Pretty sure it just got worked over at a place in NY and re-blued. I don't know that its a Type 3 for sure but do know there's a crack in the fore end. they are asking $4500 which seemed high to me, again, from everything that I've read (assuming its even a Type 3). But I'm also unsure of where all of these $3k's MX8s are.
There was an MX8 Special (Type 4 gun) listed on here for $2500 just a couple weeks ago! But, I ended up buying it. Granted, it had less desirable 27.5" barrels, no stock, and needs a new locking block and spring, But, I've got a spare stock and I'm planning on putting a different set of barrels on it and selling the barrels it came with, and I can fit a new locking block and spring. By the time I'm done with it, I'll probably have between $3,000-4500, depending on how much I get for the barrels, whether I sell the fancier internally selectable P4 trigger that came with it and use a cheaper non-adjustable/selectable one, and what stock I ultimately put on the gun.

#9 ·
Grouse Gunner said:
There were type 4 MT6 models made correct? Would the "rule" I remember hearing about, which advised that when buying used, for the most updated version, seek serial numbers above 8____(?) apply to the MT6?

ReaI don't remember the exact serial number cut off. I have that target serial number saved somewhere, just asking in general for now. That said, I too could probably live with a type 3 version with a lot of life left in it.

An MT6 is what I'm focused on. Thus far, I've never been able to handle one, let alone shoot one. I'm patient and satisfied improving my scores with my SP1, but a Perazzi is my bucket list gun.
Serial number rules for MX8s do *not* apply to MT6s! There are older, striped receiver MT6s with 100,000+ serial numbers...I owned one!
Nearest I can tell from owning each of the below, there are three types of MT6 receivers, with two types of forend lugs, and two styles of chokes. In order from oldest to newest receiver types:

Striped receivers: Blued, with machined horizontal lines in them. Lever lock release pin at 12 o'clock. Came with MT6-only forend lug and 1st gen chokes (threaded near top)

Early non-striped receivers: I've only seen them case-hardened, but there might've been blued ones. Came with Type 4 forend lug. I believe some came with 1st gen chokes and some came with 2nd gen (threads toward bottom of choke). Lever lock release pin at 12 o'clock.

Late non-striped receivers: I've only seen them blued, but there might've been case-hardened ones. Came with Type 4 forend lug and 2nd gen chokes. Lever lock release pin at 9 o'clock. Nearest I can tell, all parts in the receiver are identical to a current production MX12 with the exception of the top lever locking piece (part 111) and lever return spring (121), both of which can be swapped to the current configuration when they wear out for about $50-60, and the trigger blade and trigger return spring (can't remember part numbers or specific names) which shouldn't matter unless you want to swap out the actual trigger blade for a setback trigger blade.

Obviously, the newer two are more desirable, particularly because they have Type 4 forend irons so you can swap on any current square monobloc Type 4 barrels. Parts availability for all is pretty good, except for possibly the unique MT6 forend iron and maybe the trigger blades, neither of which are wear items. Even newer trigger blades can be adapted by drilling a hole in the top of the newer trigger to hold the older style trigger return spring. I'm pretty sure the parts for the 12 o'clock lever lock release pin guns are still available as that configuration was used in a ton of Perazzis, including earlier MX8s, DB81s, Grand Italias, etc. 1st gen chokes are available from 2-3 places. Wrights may still sell them. I've seen Angleport 1st gen chokes. Briley will custom make them (but takes a while and pricey). Best place (and best chokes, IMHO) is Teague, in England. Even with shipping, they're cheaper than anyone else (maybe except Angleport; never priced them), and they're high quality, and Teague's customer service is excellent.

Function-wise, they all move and shoot the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.