ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tristar Hunter EX O/U reliability test
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:49 pm 
Field Grade

Yes I've seen all the reviews don't buy a tristar. Oh well a good deal on a gun that fits me to a T - I had to waste my money. So we will see if it can last out on the range. Mostly Skeet and Sporting I do about 150 a week. Not too much shooting but lets see how it holds up.

Last week: 300 skeet and 50 sporting

No issues so far.

Post subject: Re: Tristar Hunter EX O/U reliability test
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:03 pm 
Field Grade

Sorry forgot the details of the gun. It is a 26" 12 gauge over/under. The wood is on the blond side which I like but nothing to write home about. Some barrel blemishes where the fore-end meets the barrel. I am not too concerned about cosmetic issues. The Gun fits me really well but it is a bit light. Kicks like a mule compared to my Beretta.

My other gun is a Beretta 391 12 gauge. I love my Beretta but wanted to get an Over/under.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:42 am 
Tournament Grade

I'm looking forward to seeing your results. Considering my experience with my Raptor so far, the Hunter is one I'm considering when it's time to get an O/U.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:57 pm 
Field Grade

Another 75 Skeet and 50 Sporting this weekend. Everything seems to be working good. No issues so far with a total of 475 shells spent.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:01 am 
Field Grade

Another 100 skeet and 50 sporting. total 625 to date. Really enjoying the gyn so far.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:07 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Sounds good so far. :D

cdb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:27 pm 
Field Grade

6 more rounds of skeet today. Really like how the gun feels and is holding up well. With 150 today it brings the total to 775.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:14 pm 
Field Grade

Another 150 skeet yesterday. The more I shoot this gun the more i think what a great value it is. Total 925.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hi Deuce,

A few questions:

1) You mentioned the gun is a little light and kicks pretty hard. Is it the EX, or the EX LT?

2) How does the trigger feel?

3) How does the overall action feel (stiff or loose, lock-up firm, etc?)

4) Any other observations.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:39 pm 
Field Grade

50 skeet and 75 sporting -125 brings total to 1050

@analyst

I have the EX model which has a published weight of 7.2 lbs. I was shooting a 391 which kicks very little, the ex light weighs in at 6.8 (12 gauge) which doesn't seen that much lighter than the EX.

Trigger feels ok. I haven't shot many shotguns besides my 391 I have little to compare. My action was smooth from the beginning. I've seen some guns that are very tight and people said mine may be smooth but end up too lose. So far I've had no problems with lockup. I use super lube on it each time I shoot and clean it up before I put it away.

I've got a few dings and scratches from normal wear and tear. No too worried about that - well because I didn't sped 10k on nice wood.

If I get 5,000 rounds out of it each year for a few years I will be happy.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Deucedeuce_22 wrote:
50 skeet and 75 sporting -125 brings total to 1050

@analyst

I have the EX model which has a published weight of 7.2 lbs. I was shooting a 391 which kicks very little, the ex light weighs in at 6.8 (12 gauge) which doesn't seen that much lighter than the EX.

Trigger feels ok. I haven't shot many shotguns besides my 391 I have little to compare. My action was smooth from the beginning. I've seen some guns that are very tight and people said mine may be smooth but end up too lose. So far I've had no problems with lockup. I use super lube on it each time I shoot and clean it up before I put it away.

I've got a few dings and scratches from normal wear and tear. No too worried about that - well because I didn't sped 10k on nice wood.

If I get 5,000 rounds out of it each year for a few years I will be happy.

You should get a lot more rounds than that through it, my CZ has 27,000+ through it.

cdb

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:46 am 
Tournament Grade

A few months ago I bought the Tri-Star Setter and am having the same experience you are. While there are so many horror stories about these and other bargain o/u's, I have well over 1,000 rounds through mine too with no problems, and I love the feel of it. I did put a Limbsaver recoil pad on to help recoil, and since I only use it for skeet I put a hi-viz competition bead and carlson's extended chokes in.

Hope we continue to get great results from these! I never figured it to be a lifetime gun but if it'll last me a few years or till I upgrade to a B-gun I'll be happy.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:52 pm 
Field Grade

Another 200 this weekend to bring total rounds through to 1250. Shooting good and having fun.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thats the name of the game, shooting is supposed to be fun, and sounds like that is what you are doing.

cdb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:24 pm 
Field Grade

100 skeet earlier this week and 125 of skeet today. Bonus 75 of trap which was my first time shooting 16 yard trap and got a 25 on my last round. Great day out on the field with my tristar. Total 1550.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have Tristar 410 o/u I've been using for 2 years for Rabbits w/ my beagles no problems whatsoever! The choke tubes are handy for steel shot on some areas I hunt skeet and imp cyl for steel. this gun has been through the ringer and still performs!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:20 pm 
Field Grade

100 skeet and 100 trap today. Another day of T-Shirt shooting here in kalifornia. Total 1750.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

Deucedeuce_22: I'm following this thread with a lot of interest. The Hunter EX is one of 3 guns that are on my short list for a new O/U in 20ga. I greatly appreciate your keeping everyone appraised of how well the gun is performing.

Where do you shoot in California? I go out there on business frequently and usually take a couple of shotguns with me to shoot trap/SC at Coyote Valley just outside of San Jose.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

Been following your reliability test closely as I have a TriStar Setter o/u which I got as an intro gun for skeet till I graduate up to a B-gun.

I don't have an exact count but based on my empty primer trays I am nearing 2,000 rounds if I haven't surpassed it. ONLY problem arose within this last week, I have been shooting more heavily because of winter league and in very cold temps. I broke BOTH firing pins within the week. Local gunsmith sai that's a common o/u problem regardless of brand, and it was due to poor quality steel they used to make the firing pins. He made me some new ones with machine grade steel so I dot expect them to break EVER again.

How's yours been shooting for you, update on the reliability?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:10 am 
Utility Grade

High all I'm a new member and purchased a Tri-Star EX 12GA. Hunter yesterday. I have been following the reviews here and elsewhere. This gun is a beauty. I was really surprised at the fit and finish of this particular gun. No proud wood at all. I had been looking at the Mossberg Silver Reserve 2 and CZ O/U's. The wood was much better looking and also had the schabelled fore stock that I like. This gun will be used primarily for dove and quail hunting. I haven't shot it yet but plan to do some pattern tests first to check point of aim. I have read some are a little off. I may use this gun some for deer hunting. What type's of choke will this gun use. I believe its designed to use Benelli tubes. Are there any others that will work. Any advice on good buckshot chokes made for this gun.