ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Walmart TriStar Hunter EX
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:58 am 
Crown Grade

I was in the local Walmart on Sunday morning and they have a 12 gauge TriStar Hunter EX priced at $357. I already have a 12 gauge Khan O/U and a 16 gauge Hunter EX. If this would have been a 20 gauge, I would have bought it on the spot. I like the Turkish shotguns.

Bud's has it for $509, so the price at Walmart is either amazing or they have it marked wrong. I'm going back for a closer inspection.

Post subject: Re: Walmart TriStar Hunter EX
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:31 pm 
Field Grade

That's the right price. The ones I saw had Uplander Hunter Silver on the box. I don't know if that is a cheaper version of the Hunter model. These may be old stock shotguns that nay have been more a good while ago. I've never seen them in the display cases out for sale.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:49 pm 
Crown Grade

hunter5567 wrote:
That's the right price. The ones I saw had Uplander Hunter Silver on the box. I don't know if that is a cheaper version of the Hunter model. These may be old stock shotguns that nay have been more a good while ago. I've never seen them in the display cases out for sale.

I need to find a 20 gauge!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:03 pm 
Crown Grade

You are right. It is an Upland Hunter Silver. But that doesn't appear on TriStar's web site.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:14 am 
Field Grade

Halwg wrote:
You are right. It is an Upland Hunter Silver. But that doesn't appear on TriStar's web site.

Called Tri Star and was told it was a special run for WM, 28in. bbl. with choke tubes, can use Beretta mobile chokes, alloy receiver, fiber optic FS, extactor only and single mechanical trigger. The gun is very light. Very tight out of the box a good thing in MHO.

Bought one just to host some subgage tubes I had laying around, with the tubes standard weight approx. 1lb. and lead in the stock for balance 8.5 lbs.

So about 3000 rds of subgage and some 12ga. so far, alot of gun for the money I paid $347 plus tax. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:56 am 
Field Grade

Seems to be similar to the Setter.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:47 am 
Field Grade

Let me clarify a few things on the Walmart Tristar Upland Hunter Silver. It is made by Kral in Turkey. Not the same place as the Setter or the Hunter EX or EX LT. It is a totally different gun than the two shown on the Tristar website. The Walmart O/U does carry the same warranty as the others even though the included instruction booklet only mentions ony year parts/labor. I emailed Tristar to verify this. I also called Tristar inquiring about the gun and that's where I found out it was made by Kral. The rep I spoke with was very nice but did say, "The biggest mistake people make is to buy this gun expecting it to last a lifetime shooting 15,000 rounds a year through it." Well,for heavens sakes. It only cost $357.00 plus tax! I doubt I'll put more the 500 rounds a year through it.

My MO is to buy an inexpensive too first and if I use it enough to break it I buy quality the next time. The ratio of Harbor Freight to Snap On in my shop has saved me thousands and thousands of $$ over time.

Anyway, back to the shotgun. I prefer a fit that allowing my right eye to sight right down the top of the rib without clamping my cheek to the stock. I'f tried on guns costing $5,000 down and only three did this. A used Zoli, a Franchi Instinct SL and this Tristar. Guess which one got run up the flag pole and saluted by the Mrs?

The Tristar is very light weight and recoil from heavy hunting loads is surprisingly well handled for a gun weighing around 6 lbs. It is felt in the shoulder but not the face.
Today I shoot some clays to see it this thing can hit where I point it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:16 am 
Field Grade

Let me start by saying what I know about shooting clays I could write on the inside of a matchbook with crayon. I set up a thrower on the front of my 4wheeler and my wife pulls them for me. I have a rather short range due to my home setting in the middle of the woods. I have to be quick or the trees get them before I do.
That said, We didn't get off to the best start. I'm used to shooting them with a gun that shoots high due to the fit of my other shotguns. Once I relearned the aimpoint I did much better. I found I broke more clays holding the gun as if I were carrying it in the field with the muzzle up at about a 45 degree angle to the left. Again, I know little about shooting clays but this worked best for me. I found the modified choke seems to dust them better than the IC regardless of which barrel was selected as first fire.
75 rounds of Federal shot wearing a T shirt and no bruising or soreness this morning. As for the Tristar, I noticed a slight movement in the butt stock and will pull the pad and snug that up today. New gun with 79 total rounds I can accept some settling of the wood.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:09 pm 
Field Grade

I did pull the pad and it took less than 1/8 of turn to snug up the stock. I then removed the stock to check the fit. I was very impressed that the wood seemed to make a very even contact with the action in all areas. Also noted was the lack of any dirt, powder residue or metal from the machining processes. Compared to the Stoeger Condor, this is a much better built shotgun. It's $100.00 + cheaper too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:33 pm 
Crown Grade

Quote:
with the muzzle up at about a 45 degree angle to the left

Are you saying that your gun shoots high and left?

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:59 pm 
Field Grade

oneounceload wrote:
Quote:
with the muzzle up at about a 45 degree angle to the left

Are you saying that your gun shoots high and left?

No, not at all. I hold the gun like this before the clay is thrown. I hold the gun in front of me with the muzzle pointed up and to the left. This is a common carry position to safely caffy a loaded shotgun while hunting. As far as where the gun shoots, preliminary test show it shoots where the red front sight is pointed. I'm grabbing big cardboard boxes from work and hope to do a more scientific pattern test soon.
Two barrels times five choke tube requires bunches of cardboard.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:41 pm 
Crown Grade

If your local club has a steel pattern plate, use it. Use your red bead for that, but when shooting clays or birds, lose the bead so your eyes don't focus on it instead of the target.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:48 pm 
Field Grade

Snowing and mid 30's so not a lot of shooting time today. Set up at 30 yards a piece of cardboard 39" tall by 64" wide with two red painted dots 32" apart centered vertically. Full in the O and MF in the U. I didn't take the time to count the dots but found the lower barrel point of impact appears to centered right around the point of aim. The upper did shoot about 5" higher but still centered horizontally. I swapped chokes and shot a second piece of cardboard getting the same results. The full choke pattern was only slightly smaller than the improved full. Federal Field & Range 1-1/8oz 7-1/2 was used. I then shot two Remington High Brass Pheasant loads #4 and got similar results; Upper barrel point of impact slightly higher than the lower barrel. Again, without counting holes it looks like a good 70-80% of the hits were within a 12-14" diameter circle. Even with fliers the two targets being centered 32" apart, the was a defined area where each shot went. No overlapping occurring at all between the two. Something interesting popped up. One of the wads I retrieved was severely deformed with all four side walls or petals were folded in against the base of the shot area. It did not appear that this happened during manufacturing as there were no shot imprints on the outside of the petals. It's as if the petals all folded inward instead of outward after leaving the barrel. After shooting I weighed the gun on our digital bathroom scales. Our scale always reads slightly higher than the Post Office scales. I saw 6.4 lbs. In reality, a smidge of 6 lbs would be a fair weight.

Two things I learned today: Shooting a shotgun from a benchrest isn't the same as shooting my .22LR. It hurts like hell. There is a very big difference in felt recoil compared to shooting this gun while standing.

i believe this gun is worthy of investing in some better quality choke tubes. I cleaned plastic out of both tubes after shooting today. Some from last weekend accumulated in there I'm sure. A good polish on the inside of the tubes would help the pattern but not today.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:13 am 
Field Grade

Another three boxes of shells through it yesterday. I polished up the ID of the choke tubes and after shooting yesterday found no plastic build-up. Every time I pick this gun up I'm impressed how light it is. Every time I shoot it I'm impressed how well it handles the recoil. The more I shoot it the better I get with it. We tried doubles and quickly found I could dust two almost as well as one.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:48 am 
Utility Grade

Halwg wrote:
hunter5567 wrote:

I need to find a 20 gauge!

I have not seen this in anything but 12ga, much to my dismay. I've wanted a 20ga TriStar O/U for a long time now, but apparently it won't be from Wally-World.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:06 pm 
Utility Grade

I had the upland hunter ex by Kral a few years ago and gave it away due to a shoulder injury. I am mostly recovered so I went down to Walmart and picked another one up today.
The price was still the same and it came with a set of extended stainless chokes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:32 pm 
Utility Grade

Called tristar and ordered a set of firing pins. $12 per pin. I like to have spare firing pins for all my guns.