ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: *** The Official Tristar TT-15 thread ***
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:45 pm 
Field Grade

maybe if we just stop posting there so that the only place to get TT-15 info is these forums. since they obviously don't want to hear about the TT-15 over there.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:27 pm 
Field Grade

I recently acquired this Tristar TT15 DT Adjustable 12ga. - 2 3/4" Chamber and this is my take on it. It is made by Kahn Arms. Sometimes lube gets dry in storage, so, after I received it, I performed a visual inspection, cleaned and lubed it up. I read somewhere that Slip 2000 EWG was the recommended grease for a high end O/U, just don’t remember. Anyway, next, I patterned it and it is about 60/40 to 70/30 using some of my trap singles reloads of 1 oz/#7-1/2 in a Downrange Jammer XL1 wad over 19.5 gr of Win WST in Rem STS hull lit up by a W209 primer. (Great singles load. 1/8 oz less of of lead means less fatigue and potentially better scores, and my singles average is going up, but slowly, btw, saves my injured shoulder and gain some velocity; but that is for another thread.)

Pics > https://photos.app.goo.gl/zD1Q78Db3gHt3vSM7 (Sorry, I don't have time to diddle around with editing and shrinking pictures to fit this dated forum software.)

Overall the wood to metal fit and finish is very nice for the price point. The checkering is nothing fancy or elaborate, but just plain checkering which is what to expect at this price point. There is a palm swell on the RHS of stock grip. So, if you are a left handed shooter, this is something to consider. When you adjust your LOP, make sure you note/consider this palm swell.

Pics > https://photos.app.goo.gl/dT1S3hf6k7T6ZiLm9

The chokes are of the Beretta/Benelli types. If you buy extra chokes from Beretta, The Tristar TT15 uses the Beretta Mobil Choke system. If you use Carlson choke tubes, the universal choke wrench will work on the Beretta/Benelli choke systems. Barrels are ported.

Pics > https://photos.app.goo.gl/FX4wZc8CNCXs8XbK7

The adjustable rib only has 3 notches, front and rear, to adjust with. It is spring loaded and you must insert in the hole behind the notches with either the supplied Allen wrench or a similar tool to pull it back to adjust. I prefer at least 5 notches. The adjustable comb uses small spacers to adjust the height. The Allen wrench is used to unscrew on the top of the studs and side of comb. Consider purchasing a small plastic waterproof case for butt and comb hardware such as the Plano I purchased shown.

Pics > https://photos.app.goo.gl/YHg5Sn2XN6QovJAX6

The adjustable butt stock can be adjusted similar to that of a Graco/SPS. The supplied Allen wrench is also used to unscrew and make adjustments. There is also a brass center sight bead on the rib.
All adjustments to the rib, comb and butt stock is by trial and error per owner’s manual.
The barrel hinge area of action is nicely jeweled - something I don’t see much nowadays. Action locks up tight and solid as all O/Us should be. Receiver engraving is fine for an o/u at this price point. I grabbed a handful of empty hulls to show no problems with firing pins as I have read somewhere on another review.

Pics > https://photos.app.goo.gl/5djVwczFWWWYGiiN6

Overall, I am very happy with this TT15. I attended the Dixie Grand in Bostic, NC recently and needless to say, I have not been able to practice with it plus dealing with two hurricanes did not help either. So, during the earlier pattering session, I tried to dial it in as best I could until I got on the field. My scores weren’t good at all because I don’t think I have it correctly dialed in yet and my skill level is not that high yet. I was thinking that at my skill level to purchase this TT15, get my scores up before I drop thousands $$$ on a mid price range or high end price range trap gun. As I write this, my gun club has no power because of hurricane Michael. Will try to follow up on this review later with better data. Ever since I received this TT15, I've been trying to dodge hurricane damage. I tried to touch on some more technical points that I have not seen covered much at all and hope this will help you.

Helpful links>
https://www.tristararms.com/trap-models/
https://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?item=35416
https://www.berettausa.com/en-us/store/collections/shop-by-gun/shop-accessories-for-over-and-under/#gat=Choke-Tube&ctty=Mobil-Choke&mpp=72
http://www.khanshotguns.com/
http://www.slip2000.com/
https://www.choketube.com/choke-tube-product-details-R.php?Beretta-Mobil-Choke-Tubes&mf=3

Last edited by four4bman on Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

Nice report! I just last week received my TT-15 CTA DeLuxe combo from GaG. I went Friday to the range and patterned the combo. From the factory, all three barrels were 50/50 patterns with 5 shots at 25yds. I left the double set the way they came and lowered the front of the rail on the unsingle barrel one notch. That changed the pattern to a 70/30 (again 5 shot group at 25 yards). I have all spacers in the stock since I need a 15" LoP and with all spacers you almost get there, not quite but almost. I went on to shoot a round of skeet with the double barrel and that went ok. haven't taken the unsingle to the trap stand yet. That I will do next Friday.

All in all this is a smoking deal for a very nicely finished gun! The drop-out trigger comes out and installs super easy. There are two things I would change and that I don't like. The gun does not have a barrel selector. I heard that is specific to the deluxe drop-out trigger group version and that the standard TT-15 CTA combo with non-removable trigger group does have the selector. This is probably not an issue for trap but since I'd like to shoot skeet with it too. It is a big negative. The other is that I still would like to be able to move the trigger forward in the guard like on my Citori where I have the trigger set all the way forward. Craftmanship, fit & finish of the stock, pistol grip and the entire gun is simply superb. The wood is just marvelous!! I am totally stoked about this gun!

High Res pic:https://imgur.com/tyaOEVt

DT-11 Sptg. Black B-Fast 30" - DT-11 Sptg. B-Fast 30" - 692 Black B-Fast 30” - A400 Xcel MT 32"- CG Invictus VII - CZ Sharptail Target 30" - TriStar TT-15 CTA DeLuxe 32"/34" - Rem. 11-87 SP 25.5 - Mossy 935 JM Pro ORE3GUN

Last edited by Alex D on Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:14 pm 
Field Grade

Alex D wrote:
Nice report!

Thanks, AlexD. I could and like to do a video for Youtube, but I only have a smartphone and no accessories to do a quality video. You can lose an audience real quick with a poorly made video holding it in one hand and using the other for what ever you have to do in producing it. Gonna try and pick up some extra chokes for skeet and maybe a LM choke later on.

Last edited by four4bman on Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:42 am 
Tournament Grade

four4bman wrote:
Alex D wrote:
Nice report!

Thanks, AlexD. I could do a video for Youtube, but I only have a smartphone and no accessories to do a quality video. You can lose an audience real quick with a poorly made video holding it in one hand and using the other for what ever you have to do in producing it. Gonna try and pick up some extra chokes for skeet and maybe a LM choke later on.

What Beretta mobile chokes are you going to buy? Carlson's? The ones that came with the gun are proprietary TriStar mobile design choke tubes when I looked at the knurling and color ring design. Nobody makes them exactly as those that came with the gun.
What additional chokes do you think you need? This gun comes with all of the common choke tubes out of the box and I don't know if LM makes a big diff vs IC? I shoot IC and SK in skeet. This is also why I would like to have a barrel selector depending on the direction/distance of the skeet bird. That is really a big minus on this gun! then again ... our best skeet shooter in the club shoots a K80 with .410 tubes !!! And he beats us all!

DT-11 Sptg. Black B-Fast 30" - DT-11 Sptg. B-Fast 30" - 692 Black B-Fast 30” - A400 Xcel MT 32"- CG Invictus VII - CZ Sharptail Target 30" - TriStar TT-15 CTA DeLuxe 32"/34" - Rem. 11-87 SP 25.5 - Mossy 935 JM Pro ORE3GUN

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:00 pm 
Field Grade

Alex D wrote:
four4bman wrote:
Alex D wrote:
Nice report!

Thanks, AlexD. I could do a video for Youtube, but I only have a smartphone and no accessories to do a quality video. You can lose an audience real quick with a poorly made video holding it in one hand and using the other for what ever you have to do in producing it. Gonna try and pick up some extra chokes for skeet and maybe a LM choke later on.

What Beretta mobile chokes are you going to buy? Carlson's? The ones that came with the gun are proprietary TriStar mobile design choke tubes when I looked at the knurling and color ring design. Nobody makes them exactly as those that came with the gun.
What additional chokes do you think you need? This gun comes with all of the common choke tubes out of the box and I don't know if LM makes a big diff vs IC? I shoot IC and SK in skeet. This is also why I would like to have a barrel selector depending on the direction/distance of the skeet bird. That is really a big minus on this gun! then again ... our best skeet shooter in the club shoots a K80 with .410 tubes !!! And he beats us all!

I might go with Carlson's or Beretta; Beretta has some of their chokes on sale right now. I also use mixed brands of chokes with my Brownings; I use a Carlson's LM extended on my BPS trap gun and my 1990 Browning (Miroku made) A5, I use a Carlson buckshot choke tube for deer. My DT has selective barrel feature; select either U or O; when you pull the trigger on one you selected, pull the trigger again and the the other goes. My 1961 Superposed has the inertia type trigger which I found out recently it can be modified to mechanical.

I am eyeing couple of other trap guns to add to my collection: a Winchester 101 Pigeon and/or a Miroku MK38 if I can find a US dealer.

Last edited by four4bman on Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:41 pm 
Field Grade

A few more random up close pictures of my TT15 DT. Enjoy. Any request for more pictures, msg me.

Pics > https://photos.app.goo.gl/c4PP1iHcgq7ReShD8

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:50 am 
Field Grade

anyone know how to adjust trigger pull weight on the drop out trigger pack?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

A little update ... had the TT out last weekend for some trap usning the unsigle barrel and man is this a sweet trap gun. I am totally excited about how well I shot with it and how smooth my routine (I shoot Euro style low gun) went. The only thing is the grippy rubber pad that hinders raising the gun, but i can fix that. US guns are not made for low gun routine. This gun combo has to be one if not the best deal out there for competition shotguns! Very happy I bought it!!

Here's me shooting a little skeet with my Citori CX at my club :) https://vimeo.com/299118655

Last edited by Alex D on Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:19 pm 
Field Grade

Alex D wrote:
A little update ... had the TT out last weekend for some trap usning the unsigle barrel and man is this a sweet trap gun. I am totally excited about how well I shot with it and how smooth my routine (I shoot Euro style low gun) went. The only thing is the grippy rubber pad that hinders raising the gun, but i can fix that. US guns are not made for low gun routine. This gun combo has to be one if not the best deal out there for competition shotguns! Very happy I bought it!!

Here's me shooting a little skeet with my Citori CX at my club :) https://vimeo.com/drotschmann/review/29 ... 1ea09ca826

Happy you like it! However, you vimeo vid is not working.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

Let's see if this link works!

https://vimeo.com/299118655

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:41 pm 
Field Grade

Alex D wrote:
Let's see if this link works!

https://vimeo.com/299118655

:)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:53 am 
Field Grade

Curious how the TT 15 guns are holding up? Got another friend interested in starting to shoot with my son and i, and have been looking for something. Not hearing much , but seem to sell out quickly on websites. Must be doing ok im guessing? Thanks, Steve

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

razor1 wrote:
Curious how the TT 15 guns are holding up? Got another friend interested in starting to shoot with my son and i, and have been looking for something. Not hearing much , but seem to sell out quickly on websites. Must be doing ok im guessing? Thanks, Steve

I still love mine! Its got about 2000 shells through it now. I shoot 95% international skeet with my DT-11 and the rest trap and clays.The TT is certainly not built to the specs of my DT-11 so it is loser in the action but it functions flawlessly and the stock is great. Can only recommend it!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:48 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for quick reply. My son and i shoot the 725 sporting . Just got mine and could sell him my Citori Cx, but he doesn’t want to spend alot, and doesn’t want to keep borrowing mine. The Brownings fit him well. Do you feel the TT15 sporting would be comparable? Theres no way to get one in his hands to ck.Guess i could order one and keep it for a loaner if doesn’t like it. Would be used for kinda “ all around “ clay games. He’d probably only go couple time month with us. Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

razor1 wrote:
Thanks for quick reply. My son and i shoot the 725 sporting . Just got mine and could sell him my Citori Cx, but he doesn’t want to spend alot, and doesn’t want to keep borrowing mine. The Brownings fit him well. Do you feel the TT15 sporting would be comparable? Theres no way to get one in his hands to ck.Guess i could order one and keep it for a loaner if doesn’t like it. Would be used for kinda “ all around “ clay games. He’d probably only go couple time month with us. Thanks

I had a Citori CX but high rib is NOT for me! I would DEFINITLY prefer sny Browning Citori or 725 over the TT sporting. So be good and help your son out! I also have a 725 Sporting Adjustable ... a fsantastic gun!! If you buy him the TT or he buys it, he will later look for a Braoenign or Beretta. I like the TT for trap but otherwise I would go with a Beretta or Browning

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:34 pm 
Limited Edition

I'm glad there's a thread about TT15.
As an exclusive Perazzi shooter for 30 years since Deniele Perazzi was a personal friend, and with over a dozen engraved models of their guns in my safes, I seriously consider TT15 is an impressive true value of trap gun.

I spoke to Tristar extensively at the SHOT show every year about what's new on their TT15. Tristar is the only booth at the SHOT show I spent almost equal amount of time as Perazzi.
And I completely focused on their TT15 models at the end corner of Tristar booth.

I posted a report of this great value trap gun in "My pictures from SHOT show 2018" on TS because their super easy picture uploading feature for 200 pictures in one thread.
Here's the link to the 2018 TT15 CTA starting at post #19:

https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/my ... 18.627849/

Here's the 2019 updates of TT15 in "My pictures from SHOT show 2019" on another link directly to page 12: (starting post #1409)

https://shotgun-sports.com/forums/topic ... e/page/12/

If you're interested to see all 200 SHOT show pictures, here's the link from page 1:

https://shotgun-sports.com/forums/topic ... sted-here/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:43 pm 
Limited Edition

I'm very impressed about the TT15's features in this price range.

Some of my P triggers cost more than their guns, some of my P barrels cost more than the whole two barrel combo.

Garrett at Tristar who is directly involved in the developments of TT15 told me they have one TT15 shot over 50,000 rounds as of 2019, and they tested their receiver to 100,000 rounds.

Barrel interchangeability is available on 2019 models.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:37 pm 
Field Grade

Alex D, my son is shooting a 725 sporting adj like you have. He started with a 303 special trap, then Citori CX. i was shooting the CX lately and just got a 725 sporting myself but not adj. They are really nice guns agreed. my son next level gun if needed will probably be a MX8 or DT 10 or similar. He just turned 15 yr old and is really doing well. Anyway, we shot at a fundraiser { trap} recently and he beat everyone. Now there are more guys wanting to start shooting with us. One has been shooting our CX but doesnt want to keep borrowing it.and needs something alittle less expensive to get started. Iim just having fun looking for other options for him and others. Thanks again.
sovrapposti, thanks for the info you've giving me.Im gonna ck it all out. My son shot a MX8 and he really liked it alot. When or if he decides to really get serious. the MX8 or DT10-11 will probably be the two he picks from. i won an Escort Extreme Max camo last year and have shot the heck out of it this year duck and goose hunting. It has been flawless. I just feel that with the technology available today good guns can be made in Turkey or anywhere else. as long as good materials and QC go along with it. Im no engineer or expert though. Thanks alot. Steve

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:53 am 
Limited Edition

You're very welcome, I hope you will find it interesting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next