Shotgun Forum banner

*** The Official Tristar TT-15 thread ***

544K views 110 replies 31 participants last post by  vireya 
#1 ·
Talking to a few Tristar TT-15 owners in the last couple of weeks - they and myself thought it was time to launch the :

*** The Official Tristar TT-15 thread ***

The intention / purpose of this TT-15 thread is to gather as much as possible info and share it among all of us :

Positive or negative findings

Problems you had and (non) solved

Problems (non) solved by Tristar

How long do you own your TT-15 and what model ?

How many rounds fired ?

Modifications done to the shotgun / receiver

This will be the 'vault' on info for newbies to the Tristar TT-15 and for current & future owners

If you see a review online please send me a PM and include the link - than we can get that info all together

Please don't forget pictures of you TT-15 !

See less See more
#3 ·
Being a complete rookie in clays I was looking for a shotgun to get going
Not only to get gong but also affordable and 'fitting' in my budget !
So I started reading what would work
Surfing and reading for weeks suddenly the Tristar TT-15 popped up in my vizor
The TT-15 is a relatively new shotgun on the market and not that much info out there . . . yet
So we thought it would be good to bring us / all info here together

I spoke to Tristar earlier today :
The 2018 models of the TT-15 CTA and TT-15 CTA Deluxe are being shipped now
So we can expect them in the next couple of week(s) in our gun stores !

#4 ·
Okay. I too wanted to get into busting clays. I always wanted to do it, but never had the time. Finally said that I would take the plunge after I retired. I retired in 2014, but it still took me until last summer to get around to making it to the trap range at my rifle club. There is an informal shoot every Thursday morning where rookies and experienced alike get together. A lot of nice guys to instruct you on technique and proper etiquette. I started out using my 16 ga Tristar Hunter EX O/U, which by the way is a very nice, dependable piece. Not a whit of trouble with it in the three years that I've had it. After shooting for a few weeks and getting the hang of it I took my first plunge into buying a real trap gun. I didn't want to spend a lot of money starting off, so I ended up with a Tristar TT-15 Mono Trap. Nothing fancy, but a decent looking shotgun for the money. 34 in. ported barrel with extended chokes, raised rib, fiber optic sight and mid bead. I was breaking about the same number of birds with it as the field O/U. Not that great, but not too bad. Determined that with my mount it was shooting pretty flat. Nothing is adjustable on it so I added a 1/8 in. cheek pad and raised the POI about 4 in. Now I don't have to cover the bird to hit it. My scores went up by 5 to 7 right off the bat. Out of 4 rounds I usually have 3 in the 20s, but one horrendous round where I start moving the gun instead of my body. Gotta quit doing that before the real ATA league starts in a few weeks.

Now enough background rambling and on to the review of the gun. Pretty Plain Jane. Decent gloss bluing on the barrels. Furniture is plain but nicely fitted. Wood is a bit soft and dings easily, but not to a great extent. I've shot close to 7000 rounds so far and had only one FTF (light primer strike) in the first 200, but none since. At around $700 this is a very serviceable trap gun for a starter. I'm very pleased with both my Tristars so far and am now in the market to upgrade to their TT-15 CTA Deluxe combo when they are available............

#5 ·
Hello to all. I am a new poster but long-time lurker. I have followed the TT-15 threads from the time one poster on TS posted his first experience with the gun and the company. After watching the drubbing the guy has taken for a long time, I decided to stay out of the fray. The time has come to hop in and pitch in my 2 cents. Based on that fellow's experiences and excellent photography, seeing the replies from the actual owners and shooters of the TT-15, it looked like the true consensus from owner/shooters of the gun that it had a 90% satisfaction rate. I see more and more posts from coaches getting these into trap clubs a starter guns.
Because of that, I pulled the trigger on a combo. I have had mine about 2 years and have ~5000 rounds on the receiver split between both barrel sets. I liked the looks of the gun and the features it offered at a price I could justify with the wife if it came down to it. I have the luxury of being at a club where there is plenty of shooters that allow people to shoot all the awesome P,B and K guns and I have shot plenty. I had a Turkish gun that I shot and rented a line up of Berettas and Mossies' that the club has. I wanted a a better gun for myself but didn't want to go broke buying a gun that may end out in the safe doing nothing if I didn't like it or turned away from the sport. Most of my time is spent shooting unregistered club shoots and bunker. The TT-15 fit the bill for an affordable purpose built American trap gun. The TT-15 seemed to be the right tool for the job. I was not disappointed when I received it. The thing just feels right in the hand and shoulder. I did have it pitched and cut to fit and it felt even better. So much so I turned around and bought the adjustable stock to boot. This turned out to be the "right decision at a price I could afford". I have had nothing but fun with this gun. I have blasted my way to a couple of club wins with it and it has been a fun journey with the new Turk. Sure, I took my fair share of "its gonna break before you get to a thousand" comments. Now, not so much. Now I have fun reporting my round count to the naysayers. Ya, good times. Others comment on what a cool looking gun it is. Cuz it is!
So to answer the question of the OP: I got one cuz they look cool, the fit is as good as any of the higher priced guns I shoot if not better because I can adjust it at will. The fat/meaty palm swell, and pistol grip just feel right. The ability to change barrels and adjust POA/POI for American trap games allows flexibly in shooting singles or doubles. I normally shoot 1 1/8 1200fps wally world Winchesters for American trap but have ran 1 1/8 1290s, 1 oz 1300s and win AA international 7/8 1325s and Finocchi international 3Dram 1350s down the pipes, perceived recoil is very low, although I do have my stock weighted down with buck shot to maintain balance with the adjustable stock. Mine weighs in just shy of ten pounds. That really helps with recoil and helps maintain a silky-smooth swing. All be it a freight train once ya get the swing going. You are sure to follow through. Despite what other posts I have seen say regarding barrel convergence; mine seems to be spot on. It hits where I expect once the rib and comb are set. Even though I have gone through a 692 sporting (hated it as it constantly broke, musta been a bad one. got rida it ASAP) and have a purpose built bunker gun, The TT-15 is my go to gun for American trap. I saw a poster write that you either love this gun or you hate it. It is black and white! It's true. Having written that; You can count me in the 90% of owner/shooters who absolutely love the gun. Mine will not be for sale any time soon. It meets its purpose.
I have enjoyed superior customer from the boys at Tristar. When I had a rib nut get lost from shooting harmonics, I called tristar and asked for a couple of replacements and an extra set of firing pins (that have never broken by the way). Tristar had 4 new rib nuts and an extra set of firing pins on my doorstep in a day and a half. No Charge! I have nothing bad to say about the support that I have received. Tristar service is A1 in my book. I am using blue locktight on the rib nuts and have never had a problem again. I also recommend a bit of plumber tape on the chokes to keep them snug.
A definite "recommend" for a person just getting into American (ATA) trap that does not want to break the bank. Thanks Tristar.

#6 ·
Glad to see another happy camper weigh in.........

I've been pretty lucky with the comments from other shooters at my club about the Mono Trap. Most think that it's a good starter gun. Nothing negative so far. A couple guys that have high enders even tried it and commented on how nicely it swung and how soft it was to shoot. Yeah, I do want to upgrade to something with more features and that is a lot prettier, but I'm pleased enough so far with my Tristars that my next will be the TT-15 CTA Deluxe instead of one of the big names..............

#9 ·
Kingair said:
JerseyJim said:
Anyone here own the Tt-15 DT? And

What is a good case for this high ribbed gun?
Did you read the comments above actually . . . ?
I did. My bad is that I forgot to mention that I am looking at this gun as a skeet and sporting clays gun. The adjustability and the hi rib as well as price are the attraction .
I should have said that.
I have called Buds, Gallery of Guns and Tristar too. Some say the DT has been discontinued and I can't seem to get an answer as to when the 2018 TT guns will be in stock. If you look at a photo of the K 80 Pro Sport the similarities to the DT are amazing. There is a Tri Star Facebook page that I found and will try to get answers there.

#11 ·
I have been looking pretty much every other day for the CTA or CTA Deluxe model and no one seemed to have gotten any in yet. That is until I looked this morning. Someone sold a CTA on Guns America. Maybe that's a good sign that they will be trickling in soon and I can get my hands on one. It's probably too much to hope for that I can get it before trap league starts on April 4th.....................

#13 ·
I bought the TT 15 DT on Gunbroker. Appleland Sports in WI had it. Now the long wait for it to be shipped :wink:

A friend may sell me his Americase for this gun.

PS I do not expect this to be the quality and durability of the K80 Pro Sporter....but , I would have to wear out 10 of these to equal the cost of the K gun. At my age I don't need a gun to last 50 years :s

#14 ·
I would have to wear out 10 of these to equal the cost of the K gun. At my age I don't need a gun to last 50 years

Jersey Jim,
I'm with you on that point. I turned 64 two weeks ago. I've been waiting for the CTA or CTA Deluxe to appear in the stores. I really want a double/single combo with an adjustable LOP. I like my TT-15 Mono Trap, but it's about a 1/2 inch too long for me. I thought of getting a DTA combo, but it seems that all of those have disappeared from the planet. You can't even find a Double Trap with the adjustable LOP anymore. Only the Top Single and Unsingle. My trap league starts next Wednesday and I was hoping to try doubles, but I guess that will have to wait until next season...............

#15 ·
Kingair said:
The 2018 models are on their way
So you will seem them in a few weeks in the stores

Now don't expect that a TT-15 is comparable to a K-80
In looks probably yes
But not in how they are build . . . mm mm
Yeah but! Buy a K80 pro sporter and shoot 1case of ammo through it. If you sold it , the depreciation would exceed the total cost of a TT-15 DT. :lol:

#16 ·
A shooter in our club went for a Tri-Star trap gun. He deeply regrets that choice now. At first he was excited to get a gun with so many features for such a low price.
After shooting it for a few months the ejectors started to dig into the breach block. There were wear marks and metal filings. He took it to the LGS where he bought it. They tried to stone away some of the sharp edges. The problem persisted. At the LGS request he then paid to have it shipped to Tri-Star. They looked it over, shot some shells through it and sent it back to him, on his dime. They said "it's fine" as is, with deeply scratched and clearly damaged breach blocks...
Apparently bad fit and wear are perfectly OK with them.
Needless to say, he regrets his purchase. Based on what I've seen and his experience, how Tri-Star dealt with his defective firearm, I would never consider buying one.

#18 ·
Does anyone know if a shorter rib is available for the TT-15 DT adjustable? I bought one for my son who mostly shoots American trap. However he does compete in at least one other sporting clay event who restrict rib height to less than or equal to 1/2". I'm hoping to purchase a shorter rib or worst case a "sporter" O/U barrel to use with this gun. I'll post my views on this shotgun, once we have spent more time with it. Thanks!

#20 ·
Ref Short Rib, call them . 816-421-1400.They are very responsive.
I got the DT 30" a week ago, it is a beauty. BUT ,I think I made a mistake doing that. I have been facinated by the high rib guns and the adjustibility of the DT for a near perfect gun fit wows me. My mistake is that I bought it for Sporting Clays. I shot 2 rounds of trap fairly well ( I only shoot about 2 rounds a year).Then I had a many challenges at skeet where I normally average 20 -22. Today I shot a 15 and followed that with a 9. Then I went out and stunk at Sporting Clays with more misses than I care to mention.

The high rib messes me all up when shooting crossers :( ,

I should have waited to get the TT 15 Sporting

The DT has about 150 rounds through it. I may list it in the classifieds this weekend

#21 ·
Yes, you should have got the "Sporting" variant. The TT-15 DTA, DT etc. are purpose built ATA type trap guns. They "will not" be suitable for bunker trap or sporting clays. They will shoot "way to high" for a clay game that requires a flat shooting gun. (You need the right tool for the job) I see some bunker shooters manage a high rib but it is not the norm. I have a 11mmX11mm short rib on my purpose built bunker gun. I hope Tristar imports the bunker variant in the near future, I will be sure to pick one up. I asked them about getting hold of one and they seemed to have no interest. Best of luck on the resale. Let us know how you make out. They seem to go pretty quick at near retail right now.

#22 ·
sullij said:
Yes, you should have got the "Sporting" variant. The TT-15 DTA, DT etc. are purpose built ATA type trap guns. They "will not" be suitable for bunker trap or sporting clays. They will shoot "way to high" for a clay game that requires a flat shooting gun. (You need the right tool for the job) I see some bunker shooters manage a high rib but it is not the norm. I have a 11mmX11mm short rib on my purpose built bunker gun. I hope Tristar imports the bunker variant in the near future, I will be sure to pick one up. I asked them about getting hold of one and they seemed to have no interest. Best of luck on the resale. Let us know how you make out. They seem to go pretty quick at near retail right now.
Good advice, Thanks

Should have waited for the new Sporting CT5X, but nooooo.I bought a TT-15 DT 30" for sporting clays. Great for Trap ( not my game though) .Will try to sell it at my club this weekend. If no takers I will post it online. Got it 12 days ago ,fired less than 200 rounds. Full warrenty and a case too. Send PM if interested

#25 ·
JerseyJim said:
Great! I can't wait to see real photos and read some reviews written by real people!
Picked up the TriStar TT-15 Sporting yesterday - bought it from Bud's and shipped to a local FFL dealer. I was impressed by the quality of the wood.. I dropped the forearm while putting it together and there was nary a scratch or dent that I could see. Field-style stock, 30" ported barrel with fiber optic sight and middle bead, and came with 5 chokes (IM installed on the bottom barrel; M on the top barrel; SK, IC and F in a choke case with wrench.)

Took it out today and patterned it with 2 shots through both barrels.

• Bottom barrel patterned at 50/50.
    Top barrel patterned at 80/20.

(I'm a little suspicious about the top barrel, it might be user error. I'll try again next time I'm out.)

Then shot 2 rounds to trap using the bottom barrel - it felt good and shouldered well enough for me.

It's difficult to say what the difference is between the Sporting (33410) and TT-15 Sporting (35425) and what you get with the price difference other than weight and forearm style but I'm happy with the purchase of my first over under.

#26 ·
SS,

I'm interested in hearing more about the POI of both barrels once you get a chance to test them out in greater detail. The 50/50 sounds good for the bottom barrel. The 80/20 not so good for the top barrel for sporting clays.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.