ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tristar Viper G2 20 gauge
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:24 pm 
Crown Grade

Ulysses wrote: "The idea of a wood plug in the cutoff synthetic stock is a good one if you had a way to remove it if you needed to. I suppose that instead of epoxying it in place, you could put some screws through the stock to hold it in place, but that would look like crap and you might scratch or cut yourself on the screw heads."

I think that idea has merit and would not have to look terrible. If fitted carefully and had some thin screws with the heads countersunk into the plastic stock some; I think it could be serviceable and not protrude any. I think it is sure worth a try.

Also, instead of grinding down a .75 inch pad to shorten LOP more, they make some .4 inch pads made for rifles. They would give you an added .3 inches.

I think it is quite possible to achieve the shorter LOP that you want and still have it look good. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:23 pm 
Field Grade

oyeme wrote:
Ulysses wrote: "The idea of a wood plug in the cutoff synthetic stock is a good one if you had a way to remove it if you needed to. I suppose that instead of epoxying it in place, you could put some screws through the stock to hold it in place, but that would look like crap and you might scratch or cut yourself on the screw heads."

I think that idea has merit and would not have to look terrible. If fitted carefully and had some thin screws with the heads countersunk into the plastic stock some; I think it could be serviceable and not protrude any. I think it is sure worth a try.

Also, instead of grinding down a .75 inch pad to shorten LOP more, they make some .4 inch pads made for rifles. They would give you an added .3 inches.

I think it is quite possible to achieve the shorter LOP that you want and still have it look good. Good luck!

Assuming its a shotgun that I have no intention of changing the stock on in the future, I think I'd still epoxy it in rather than screwing or nailing from the outside. If it ever needed removing, unscrew the recoil pod, and go to town with drill bits, chisels, and a dremel to clean it up. If going to reuse it, shape a new block.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:32 pm 
Diamond Grade

You only need the wood around the perimeter for the recoil pad screws and access to the middle for the stock bolt. Just make your wood plug an oval with a large oval hole in the center and you are good. Epoxy it in and all set.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:43 pm 
Crown Grade

I have just reconsidered my suggestion because I think Patently Obvious has a far better one that will not mar the outside appearance at all and hold the pad properly. OP it looks like your solution has been arrived at by iterative steps but you are good to go now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Patently Obvious wrote:
You only need the wood around the perimeter for the recoil pad screws and access to the middle for the stock bolt. Just make your wood plug an oval with a large oval hole in the center and you are good. Epoxy it in and all set.

Yes, I like that idea too.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:02 pm 
Crown Grade

Put another flawless 50 rounds through the G2. Remington Gun Clubs. I swapped out the trigger return spring and it made a big difference. Smoother and crisper. My timing was better as the trigger was breaking with a lot less effort. If you go the Mcarbo Route the trigger group is different than the Mossberg. See the info on the trigger thread on this page. Very easy job and well worth the nearly $19 for the spring delivered.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:07 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I put the McCarbo spring in mine, and am very happy with it. :D But I'm so cheap it hurt to pay $18-$19 for one tiny little spring! :oops:
Must be my Bohemian side. My Grandpa would have called that spring purchase foolish.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tool ... 69-100-510

I think I've mentioned before that a person can buy an assortment of coil gun springs from Wolff Gunsprings that will cover about any use that you might want or need for small springs use in rifles, pistols, and shotguns. This would not include the long recoil springs or magazine tube springs, but almost any coil spring you could want for firearms that are 4" or less in length would be included.

You just pick out the spring that is the right diameter and strength you want and snip it to the length you want and install it. I bought about 400 or 500 such springs in various sizes about 30+ years ago and have never needed to buy another small coil spring since then. The cost of these assortments of springs is only about 30 cents per spring. I've used them as extractor springs in pistols and hammer springs in semi-auto shotguns, and numerous other uses I can't recall. So, for just a little more than what you'd pay for one spring, you can buy enough to last you for many years for various uses.

You can also buy direct from Wolff gun springs. You might contact them and tell them what you have in mind and see what package they suggest. https://www.gunsprings.com/GENERAL%20PURPOSE/cID4

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:28 pm 
Crown Grade

Shot a round of sporting clays this morning. Some of the targets were a little long for subgauge but I still managed a 38/50. Everyone in my squad wanted to know about the Tristar. I took extra shells because I was sure someone would want to try it and I knew the other 8 guys would all be shooting 12’s. The gun was flawless no matter who shot it. The guy who had the most questions was shooting a tricked out 391. Somehow a shell got stuck in the magazine tube and he couldn’t get it out. Finally after vigorously working the action and poking around in the tube it cycled out. I went up to him and told him that Tristars do not have those problems. We had a good laugh about it. Over 360 rounds through it and the only failure has been when I shot a shell that they explicitly advise you not to shoot.

One guy started to say something about the over unders and I told him I owned one for a short while and sold it because the quality is no where comparable to the semi autos. A gunstore nearby has one of the .410’s in stock. Thinking that would complete my subgauge set.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm pretty comfortable with working on stocks. I was already thinking about the wood plug. I also noticed kick eez makes a .5" pad. I just thought the red, white, and blue pad would look good and the thinnest of those is .75". I have done a few LOP pad adjusters on other guns so I can do one of those later. Can anyone tell me what drop at comb can be achieved with the shims? I know kids need a lot less drop than adults. For her I'm thinking I need to get about 1 1/4", I can do that with the stick on comb pads if I need to.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:37 am 
Utility Grade

There are some crazy good deals on Gunbroker right now on the G2 Wood 20ga. I seen a few NIB for $365 shipped! I actually picked up a used Wood 20 last week, like new condition for $230, but only one choke. A couple of Carlson's are on the way to fix that. Can't wait to stuff some shells through this once some snow melts.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

Posted a couple months ago on my G2 Bronze 20ga that it would not feed Federal promotional or Top Gun loads. I now have somewhere north of 1500 rds through the gun and it now handles the Federals just fine. The trigger was a bit of a pain as the spring fix was little help. I had to take my trigger stones to the sear and hammer hook to get the trigger down to a 4 lb. break so all is well now. I'm liking the gun a lot so we will see how it holds up to a lot of shooting.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:26 pm 
Crown Grade

Another round of sporting clays. Remington Gun Clubs. No issues. Trigger continues to improve. I like the Mcarbo upgrade. On another note I handled the TT15 field models at the NRA show. That is a Tristar o/u I could own. Much better than the 16 gauge Hunter that I had.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:59 pm 
Crown Grade

50 more flawless rounds through the G2. The gun is great.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:31 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

>>There are some crazy good deals on Gunbroker right now on the G2 Wood 20ga.<<

It would seem the 20 ga. is only available in 26", which is a no-go for me. :x

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:34 am 
Field Grade

Sportsmans guide has the g2 in 20 gauge with 28" barrels. Either wood or synthetic stock. Right around 500$. The bronze is sold out

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:40 am 
Field Grade

www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/t ... ?a=1808993

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks Willy, and Bud's has it for even less $$. Unfortunately, TriStar doesn't seem to offer the 20 ga. Bronze or Silver models in 28", which is a shame. Oh well....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:22 am 
Utility Grade

I’m looking at the Viper G2 line in 20 gauge for my wife as well and having the hardest time finding dealers with inventory for her to handle them.

Does anyone happen to know the length of pull on the wood stocked (non youth) models?

I saw earlier in this thread the red receiver youth model has a 13” LOP but I was leaning towards the bronze model.
Also, do all models come with shims for drop and cast or just the synthetic models?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:42 am 
Utility Grade

Quote:
Does anyone happen to know the length of pull on the wood stocked (non youth) models?

Mine measures 14 1/2" on my G2 Wood 20ga.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next