ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tristar Viper G2 20 gauge
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:03 pm 
Utility Grade

Jobber26,

Thank you very much for the detailed information on the "combo" youth model. I joined this forum to get more information on that gun, and you answered all my questions.

Did the over-sized bolt handle and bold release install without modification? Did they make a difference?

I'm between that gun and the Mossberg SA-20 for my daughter.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:45 pm 
Crown Grade

We have crossed the 1,000 round mark. 1,045. Shot 100 Sporting on the Red course at Cardinal Center here in central Ohio. Got there and had left extra chokes at home. So everything was shot with the skeet tube. Broke 77/100. Some of the targets were a little long for a 20 gauge Skeet tube with 7 1/2 shot Estates. Some of them dusted, some of them chipped and some of them flew through the wide pattern unscathed. Lol. This gun has been great. No complaints. Nothing rattles in it. The trigger has smoothed our great. I have not adjusted it and have no plans to do so. It shoots exactly where I am looking. This is a copy of a simple, well designed action and it functions great. I have no reservations about it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:36 pm 
Field Grade

KT13 wrote:
We have crossed the 1,000 round mark. 1,045. Shot 100 Sporting on the Red course at Cardinal Center here in central Ohio. Got there and had left extra chokes at home. So everything was shot with the skeet tube. Broke 77/100. Some of the targets were a little long for a 20 gauge Skeet tube with 7 1/2 shot Estates. Some of them dusted, some of them chipped and some of them flew through the wide pattern unscathed. Lol. This gun has been great. No complaints. Nothing rattles in it. The trigger has smoothed our great. I have not adjusted it and have no plans to do so. It shoots exactly where I am looking. This is a copy of a simple, well designed action and it functions great. I have no reservations about it.

Who's design is it a copy of?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:54 pm 
Crown Grade

When I bought my first one about five years ago the reviewer mentioned an action I was not familiar with but noted it’s simplicity and said they had had no reliability issues. I will look for the article and see what model he was referring to if I can find it. If I can find it I will post a link. He named some specific design features in the gas system that were similar to another model. I may have looked that model up at the time. He was right about reliability. My 28 gauge has never failed and this 20 gauge has only failed the one time I used a shell that the instructions said was too light.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:35 am 
Field Grade

KT13 wrote:
When I bought my first one about five years ago the reviewer mentioned an action I was not familiar with but noted it’s simplicity and said they had had no reliability issues. I will look for the article and see what model he was referring to if I can find it. If I can find it I will post a link. He named some specific design features in the gas system that were similar to another model. I may have looked that model up at the time. He was right about reliability. My 28 gauge has never failed and this 20 gauge has only failed the one time I used a shell that the instructions said was too light.

Thanks. I'd be interested in that info.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

I as well think the guns action is quite robust. I was surprised when I initially took it apart and saw how strong everything looked. Nothing seemed like a weak link. Quite impressed with the design. Nice gun.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:23 pm 
Utility Grade

I don't change out. I remove, watch the bird, not the bead.