ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dickinson Prestige Sidelock SXS
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:37 am 
Crown Grade

I recently purchased a Dickinson Prestige sidelock SXS 12 ga with 30" barrels, single non-selective trigger, POW stock mainly to use for clay shooting games and likely a little bird hunting. The gun weighs 7# 5 1/2 oz, which is a bit heavier than I'd like to carry on an all day wild bird hunt, and the balance point is about an inch forward of the hinge pin which might not be ideal for live bird hunting, probably owing to the 30" barrels. The triggers are nice and crisp, and the 7 pin hand removable locks look to be a copy of the Holland and Holland 7 pin locks. It has upgraded wood and a checkered butt that is currently being replaced by a leather covered pad by Feland's Gunsmithing in Texas.

Does anyone on here have any experience with these true sidelock guns by Dickinson (AKUS)? If so, what are you currently using the gun for and how suitable is it for that purpose?

Post subject: Re: Dickinson Prestige Sidelock SXS
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:31 pm 
Crown Grade

Hmm, looks like I might be the first to get one of these. When I get the gun back from Feland's, I'll post a short review on the specifics of the gun along with a few pictures.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hi,

Please, please do! I've seen one online photo of the Prestige. And nothing else. So I'm looking forward to your opinion!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:28 pm 
Diamond Grade

Riflemeister wrote:
I recently purchased a Dickinson Prestige sidelock SXS 12 ga with 30" barrels, single non-selective trigger, POW stock mainly to use for clay shooting games and likely a little bird hunting. The gun weighs 7# 5 1/2 oz, which is a bit heavier than I'd like to carry on an all day wild bird hunt, and the balance point is about an inch forward of the hinge pin which might not be ideal for live bird hunting, probably owing to the 30" barrels. The triggers are nice and crisp, and the 7 pin hand removable locks look to be a copy of the Holland and Holland 7 pin locks. It has upgraded wood and a checkered butt that is currently being replaced by a leather covered pad by Feland's Gunsmithing in Texas.

Does anyone on here have any experience with these true sidelock guns by Dickinson (AKUS)? If so, what are you currently using the gun for and how suitable is it for that purpose?

Yes. I have their O/U Royal in 20 gage. Full write up here.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... lit=+Royal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:38 am 
Crown Grade

Patently Obvious wrote:
Riflemeister wrote:

Yes. I have their O/U Royal in 20 gage. Full write up here.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... lit=+Royal

I remember reading that post, quite well done. The SXS sidelock has the locks basically being mirror images of each other. The O/U sidelock seems like the locks would be quite different from each other because of the location of the firing pins above and below each other. Is that the case?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:17 pm 
Diamond Grade

Well that’s a good question. I’ll have to pull both locks and compare side by side. Might be a while before I get round to that though. I do find the locks quite snug so you need to push out carefully using the retaining bolt against an inside bearing surface and not through the hole and tap a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:15 pm 
Utility Grade

I’ve got a 26” 20ga about a year ago from CDNN , just use it for grouse and woodcock and the occasional round of skeet . Great gun for the money. I liked it so much I picked up a matching 12ga . CDNN has had a few on gunbroker and I got it for a few hundred less than they’re selling them on their site . Overall I’m very pleased with them very impressed with the quality for the price . Wish they had used a choke tube that was more readily available but you can’t have everything. Only thing I really didn’t like was the roll stamping for the mfg but I guess they probably do that because Dickinson isn’t the only importer they make guns for .

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:50 am 
Crown Grade

I got a few new choke tubes for my 12 ga from Dickinson. I got two of their Skeet chokes and another Cylinder choke to pattern with 7/8 oz #9 shot loads for skeet shooting. They probably stock a lot of the 20 ga tubes also. Now all I need is the gun with the new leather covered pad from Feland's.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:26 am 
Diamond Grade

RM, what did the extra chokes cost? I’ve been thinking about getting a few extra for my Royal OU. I’m also toying with a leather recoil pad but not sure where to go. Was hoping someone local up here could do it. Otherwise I think an old school red one would look nice.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:49 am 
Crown Grade

Patently Obvious wrote:
RM, what did the extra chokes cost? I’ve been thinking about getting a few extra for my Royal OU. I’m also toying with a leather recoil pad but not sure where to go. Was hoping someone local up here could do it. Otherwise I think an old school red one would look nice.

I couldn't find the bill for the choke tubes, but I'm thinking $35 apiece plus shipping sounds right. I'm going with Feland's for the leather covered pad for my 12 ga Prestige. They are a bit pricey, but I've had several done in the past and Feland is clearly the best for fit, finish and attention to detail.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:45 pm 
Crown Grade

I got my Dickinson Prestige sidelock back from Feland's Gunsmithing where they put on one of their elegant leather covered pads, it sets the gun off nicely. The gun has 30" barrels with Teague style notchless choke tubes in Cyl, IC, Mod, IMod and Full. THe bores measure out at a rather tight .720" on the right and .721" on the left. I called Dickinson and got two Skeet tubes and an additional Cylinder to set it up for some clay target shooting when everything opens up again. The gun weighs 7# 5 1/4 oz and balances 1" forward of the hinge pin. It comes with a POW butt stock and a splinter forend with the traditional Turkish Schnabel. The wood is nice, but not unusually so for Turkish guns, as I have an absolutely stunning 28 ga DeHaan and a really nice 16 ga Dickinson. It comes with a single non-selective trigger that fires the right barrel with an even 4# pull and the left breaks at 6# 5 oz. I noticed the stock came with significant cast off (which I need) and I did the 16 yard patterning of the Churchill fitting method today and will only need to bend in 1/8" to get a well centered 60/40 pattern.

I think those 30" barrels blend well with the overall look of the gun.

The wood has nice figure, but not great. The leather covered pad was a good addition.

Holland and Holland 7 pin style hand removable sidelocks. Typically great Dickinson case coloring that is genuine bone charcoal.

The logo is engraved, not stamped.

The "Prestige" is engraved and gold filled.

I would have preferred a semi-beavertail, but the splinter does go well with the rest of the gun's lines.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:07 pm 
Presentation Grade

Great looking gun, Rex.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:11 pm 
Diamond Grade

Nice looking gun. Let me know how your stock bending goes. With a sidelock, I’m afraid to do that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:55 pm 
Crown Grade

I've given it some thought, and considering the weakening of the stock from inletting the locks compared to the more robust boxlock inletting, I've figured out a few workarounds.

My bending jig does a good job of supporting the stock while applying the bending force.

The two leather faced slotted blocks will be placed over the locks with the protruding takedown screw removed and will support that weakened portion of the stock, while the clamping block ahead of there locks the action to the table. Hopefully that inletted portion of the stock will not see any bending force. Wish me luck.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

Love your DIY bending jig. I'm a DIY guy myself but am brand new to shooting (at age 80). Please keep us posted. I have a lot to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:29 pm 
Crown Grade

We all have a lot to learn, regardless of age! I agree, that is a neat bending jig! Yes Riflemeister, you are right, You have to be extra careful to support the wood around the locks of a sidelock gun. I never tried bending the stocks on my L.C. Smiths as they are neutral & I shoot them fine but my Merkel 47 SLE had cast the wrong way (I'm a lefty). I supported the lock area real well & all went well.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:14 am 
Diamond Grade

Riflemeister wrote:
I've given it some thought, and considering the weakening of the stock from inletting the locks compared to the more robust boxlock inletting, I've figured out a few workarounds.

My bending jig does a good job of supporting the stock while applying the bending force.

The two leather faced slotted blocks will be placed over the locks with the protruding takedown screw removed and will support that weakened portion of the stock, while the clamping block ahead of there locks the action to the table. Hopefully that inletted portion of the stock will not see any bending force. Wish me luck.

Nicely made jig! Took me a bit to figure out gun went in upside down as I’ve never seen a stock bent in person.

I like the clamping block approach. I wonder if they should be crescent shaped and cover both the locks and the thin stock wood surrounding the lock area right up to the tear drop accent?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:28 pm 
Crown Grade

Patently Obvious wrote:
Riflemeister wrote:

Nicely made jig! Took me a bit to figure out gun went in upside down as I’ve never seen a stock bent in person.

I like the clamping block approach. I wonder if they should be crescent shaped and cover both the locks and the thin stock wood surrounding the lock area right up to the tear drop accent?

I put some thin leather over the locks so the blocks were bearing on the wood and the lock equally. Just finished putting the bend in with an allowance for spring back and letting it cool before I release the bending force. Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

Does one use steam heat or what!? Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:47 pm 
Crown Grade

richg99 wrote:
Does one use steam heat or what!? Thanks

Steam would likely ruin the finish. If you look at the top picture of my bending jigs, you'll see one of the two 250 watt red heat lamps used to heat the wrist area. A coating of canola oil is applied to help heat transfer and about 30 minutes later it's ready to bend.