ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dickinson Prestige Sidelock SXS
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:30 pm 
Field Grade

Riflemeister wrote:
Does anyone on here have any experience with these true sidelock guns by Dickinson (AKUS)? If so, what are you currently using the gun for and how suitable is it for that purpose?

I acquired a Prestige with 26 inch barrels off Gunbroker in April of 2019. It sat in the safe until a little while ago. I had the stock cut to a 14 inch LOP and a pad put on.
With the stock cut and the pad it feels good. I need a lot of cast off and luckily for me it had about the amount that I need. With the shorter barrels the balance point is just at the hinge pin and the weight is a little less than yours with 30 inch barrels.
I took it to the trap range and shot 23/25 the first time out, which isn't bad for me since it has been about 10 years since the last time I shot trap. The two I missed were "easy" straightaways that actually weren't straightaways. It swings nicely for me and shoots where I look.
When I first got it it was hard to open and the ejectors threw empties with so much force that the empties could be used as a weapon on someone behind you. Since then it has either loosened up or I have become used to its tightness.
My reason for buying it is that I sometimes shoot at Woodmont Lodge, a club that requires break-open guns and started requiring steel shot so my LC Smiths and Lefevers can't be used there any more.
I bought it after my last trip in March 2019 and was planning on March 2020 but that trip got cancelled because of COVID. March 2021 is also probably a no-go also.