ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Joined the Turkish Club
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:20 pm 
Crown Grade

I've resisted buying a Turkish gun up until now, mostly because I could find used Japanese, or American guns that were less expensive, and I had the preconceived notion that they were somehow inferior.

Well, I've started bird hunting, mostly woodcock, and had a hankering for a 28 gauge SxS to go along with my Lefever 20 and 410 gauge guns. Lefever never made a 28 gauge, and I couldn't find anything in an American gun anywhere near my price range so I started researching here on the forum. One of my hunting partners has a CZ single trigger gun and loves it, but the CZ guns are a little crude, IMO. One brand that kept coming up with positives was the Dickinson line of Akus guns. I did see where some people don't like the robust ejector springs, or heavy triggers on some guns, but did see some work arounds for that issue.

I watched a NOS Estate w/ 28" barrels, double triggers, and an English stock on Gunbroker that had a really low start price due to a small mark on the stock. For the price, I couldn't resist. Today it became mine. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/866442555

I'll get the money and FFL out to the seller tomorrow, and should be able to pick it up next week. There goes my stimulus money.

Post subject: Re: Joined the Turkish Club
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:28 pm 
Limited Edition

Nice looking gun, hope you are pleased with the purchase and shoot it well! {hs#

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:30 pm 
Diamond Grade

Enjoy. I picked up a Dickinson Royal O/U about a year ago.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:32 pm 
Crown Grade

Patently Obvious wrote:
Enjoy. I picked up a Dickinson Royal O/U about a year ago.

Your posts were some of those that convinced me to try one. {hs#

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Really nice looking gun. Congrats, painter*.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:44 pm 
Crown Grade

Thanks!

Now to find some ammo, or hulls to reload. {F* :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:52 pm 
Limited Edition

painter* wrote:
Thanks!

Midway and Brownells both show a decent selection in sizes from 6 to 9 several brands.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:39 pm 
Crown Grade

toptechX6 wrote:
painter* wrote:
Thanks!

Midway and Brownells both show a decent selection in sizes from 6 to 9 several brands.

Natchez has AA's on sale.

Thanks for the heads up. {hs#

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:09 pm 
Presentation Grade

AA rebate should happen in 1 to 2 weeks at $2 per box. I’d hold out for that if you’re interested in AA. Natchez shipping cost was always a non-starter.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:00 pm 
Crown Grade

Scardog7 wrote:
AA rebate should happen in 1 to 2 weeks at $2 per box. I’d hold out for that if you’re interested in AA. Natchez shipping cost was always a non-starter.

Actually, the shells were $9.99 a box, and the shipping was a flat $15.39. I didn't find it onerous. The prices at Midway and Brownell's were well above that, and I've never found either of those concerns to be inexpensive on shipping.

Regardless, the order is placed, and I'm not going to worry about it.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 11:34 am 
Field Grade

Yep that will be a Head-turner for sure. I have the SKB 200 HR in 28 and also made at same factory probably. I shoot that piece of Turkish iron better than of my other 28 bores. I own 9. The Turkish is my favorite..... :D

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 3:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

painter* wrote:
I've resisted buying a Turkish gun up until now, mostly because I could find used Japanese, or American guns that were less expensive, and I had the preconceived notion that they were somehow inferior.

Well, I've started bird hunting, mostly woodcock, and had a hankering for a 28 gauge SxS to go along with my Lefever 20 and 410 gauge guns. Lefever never made a 28 gauge, and I couldn't find anything in an American gun anywhere near my price range so I started researching here on the forum. One of my hunting partners has a CZ single trigger gun and loves it, but the CZ guns are a little crude, IMO. One brand that kept coming up with positives was the Dickinson line of Akus guns. I did see where some people don't like the robust ejector springs, or heavy triggers on some guns, but did see some work arounds for that issue.

I watched a NOS Estate w/ 28" barrels, double triggers, and an English stock on Gunbroker that had a really low start price due to a small mark on the stock. For the price, I couldn't resist. Today it became mine. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/866442555

I'll get the money and FFL out to the seller tomorrow, and should be able to pick it up next week. There goes my stimulus money.

I have two Dickinson Estates, 20 gauge and 28 gauge, and I love them both. FWIW, I don't consider the CZs to be "crude", just not as finely made as the Dickinsons.

Gig 'Em Aggies!
Boosting the numbers with every post

What happens at Alger Flats stays at Alger Flats!

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 3:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

sprighunter wrote:
Yep that will be a Head-turner for sure. I have the SKB 200 HR in 28 and also made at same factory probably. I shoot that piece of Turkish iron better than of my other 28 bores. I own 9. The Turkish is my favorite..... :D

It was definitely made in the same factory.

Gig 'Em Aggies!
Boosting the numbers with every post

What happens at Alger Flats stays at Alger Flats!

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 8:10 pm 
Crown Grade

I have two, a DeHann SO IN 12 GA. & a old model CZ Bobwhite in 20 ga.. They both had spring problems which were fixed long ago under warranty. They are both way better guns than the price would indicate & well worth putting up with the temporary spring down time, IMHO. The coil springs put an end to that problem but I miss the cross bolt! I would love to have both a SXS, DT 16 ga. & the same in 28 ga.. I don't need either one but that doesn't mean I don't want them. I saw two bobwhite in my yard today!! They appear to be making a comeback!

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:11 am 
Crown Grade

jer901 wrote:

I have two Dickinson Estates, 20 gauge and 28 gauge, and I love them both. FWIW, I don't consider the CZs to be "crude", just not as finely made as the Dickinsons.

You're right. Crude was a bit harsh. I own several CZ rifles and a pistol, and they're great guns.

I was considering the Bobwhite G2 because I wanted a double trigger, but the all black finish didn't excite me. If it had the same case coloring as the Sharptail I might have gone in that direction.

When I saw the Dickinson with the case hardening, and that piece of lumber I just couldn't resist at the price.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:47 am 
Crown Grade

Yea, they are nice looking guns & have to be fast handling/pointing bird guns, maybe I'll start saving my pesos. My focus has always been on buying quality stuff that will stand up to a lifetime of hard use. I never got excited about engraving & ejectors, especially when they chunk hulls I want to reload in the drink. I think in the end we all like nice looking guns that function as well as they look!

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:49 am 
Crown Grade

Yea, they are nice looking guns & have to be fast handling/pointing bird guns, maybe I'll start saving my pesos. My focus has always been on buying quality stuff that will stand up to a lifetime of hard use. I never got excited about engraving & ejectors, especially when they chunk hulls I want to reload in the drink. I think in the end we all like nice looking guns that function as well as they look!

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:27 pm 
Crown Grade

I've already looked in to disabling the ejectors. I think it can be done.

If the triggers are no heavier than the gun, I'll be happy. If not, I'm not averse to digging in and seeing if a little polishing can lighten things up, or I could take/send it to Cole's for a trigger job. They're only a few hours away.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 8:28 am 
Crown Grade

I'm pretty patient, but the USPS is killing me. :lol:

Shipped from CT on Tuesday. Originally expected Thursday, then Friday. It still hasn't arrived in NH, now with no expected delivery date. So much for Priority Mail. {F*

Nowhere to shoot it right now, anyway. I'll just have to look at the photos and suck it up.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 9:02 am 
Tournament Grade

A call to the local PO might not hurt...just in case they have delivered it .....to someone else.