ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weatherby SA-08 Owners- a few questions.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:38 am 
Tournament Grade

Hello,

I have some questions about the Weatherby SA-08 shotgun that I can't find answers to on the internet.

I was hoping someone here who has one also has some time, likes to tinker and/or take pictures, and might help me.

I would like to see what the recoil pad looks like on the SA-08 Synthetic, when it is removed- and the hole spacing inside the plastic stock.

Also, I have a question or two about the ejection 'nub' on the barrel extension/hood. How much of a gap is there between it and the bolt, when the bolt is retracted and locked back?

Lastly, if anyone has a synthetic stocked SA-08 and is interested in helping me out, please PM me.

Here is my situation: I have a s&w 1012 shotgun and there are NO parts to be had for this.

I need an extractor spring, and extractor and a replacement recoil pad.

In my years of research, it seems clear that the S&W 1012 uses the ATA CY action system, like the Weatherby SA-08.

I would like to order an extractor and extractor spring for the Weatherby SA-08, but I can't do that from Weatherby without a serial number.

If the recoil pad on the plastic stocked SA-08 looks compatible, I'd like to get a replacement for that as well.

I was an idiot and broke the plastic baseplate of my recoil pad while trying to save my shoulder. I was doing the break-in process with 3" shells. It was hurting [lightweight, that I am], so I braced the butt against the table to prevent motion and fired.

I thought this was safe- no one was within 1/4 mile of me, and I was simply shooting to cycle the rifle. Then I noticed the recoil pad had bent into the stock. I pulled it off and the plate is broken. Need to fix or replace it.

I completely understand that these parts are not guaranteed to work- but they are the best option in town.

I really WANT to like my S&W 1012, as it was a gift from dad.

However, the extraction and ejection is problematic- half the time it doesn't pull the hull out of the chamber enough to eject, but the bolt locks on a feed attempt with the empty hull still there.

Other times it looks like it pulled the hull back, but didn't hit the ejector nub on the extension. Or, the hull fell off the bolt/extractor before it got that far back.

I have more reliable semi-autos [Auto-5 and V3 in 12, for example], but I have a compulsion to make things work right.

Yet- I can't get the parts I need, and I don't want to wait 3 months for Numrich to figure out if they already sold that part or it is really mine, as they clear out their backlog of orders.

So- those are the reasons for my requests.

Hope someone can help.

Post subject: Re: Weatherby SA-08 Owners- a few questions.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

I could help you if my SA08 was a 12 but it is a 20. Maybe someone will come along
that owns a 12 gauge and let you borrow his serial number to order the parts. Sounds
like you might be able to get that thing operating if you could come up with the parts.
Maybe we could figure out the serial number coding.
My 20 gauge has this number - AE34866

Post subject: Re: Weatherby SA-08 Owners- a few questions.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:39 pm 
Tournament Grade

JoeCool wrote:
I could help you if my SA08 was a 12 but it is a 20. Maybe someone will come along
that owns a 12 gauge and let you borrow his serial number to order the parts. Sounds
like you might be able to get that thing operating if you could come up with the parts.
Maybe we could figure out the serial number coding.
My 20 gauge has this number - AE34866

Thanks Joe,

I would use the serial number if I could, but I doubt the recoil pad is the same. Maybe the extractor and extractor spring are the same, but no guarantees in life.

I appreciate the offer/gesture!