ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shotgun for Sporting Clays
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:32 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello! I am a new member to the forum and would like some opinions please. I am into my second year shooting sporting clays for fun and for a league night at my local gun club. The shotgun I have been using primarily is a 12ga Weatherby Element. I have had such good luck with my Element that I have been considering purchasing the Orion Sporting over and under. I feel like it has good features for its price point. However there are a couple over other guns that have similar features for a similar prices that have me interested. Two in question are Tristar TT-15 sporting, and the Mossberg Silver Reserve Super Sport. Also another gun that looks good but is a little higher in cost is the CZ Redhead Premier Target. Anyone have user testimonials for these? I would love to hear the good and bad. This is a shotgun that is going see 100-200 rounds put through it per week for 6 months and the sit in the safe the rest of the time. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Shotgun for Sporting Clays
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:46 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Rushman wrote:
Hello! I am a new member to the forum and would like some opinions please. I am into my second year shooting sporting clays for fun and for a league night at my local gun club. The shotgun I have been using primarily is a 12ga Weatherby Element. I have had such good luck with my Element that I have been considering purchasing the Orion Sporting over and under.

The Orion is as good as it gets for a low dollar O/U.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:51 pm 
Utility Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Rushman wrote:
Hello! I am a new member to the forum and would like some opinions please. I am into my second year shooting sporting clays for fun and for a league night at my local gun club. The shotgun I have been using primarily is a 12ga Weatherby Element. I have had such good luck with my Element that I have been considering purchasing the Orion Sporting over and under.

The Orion is as good as it gets for a low dollar O/U.

Thank you for your response Randy. Your youtube review of the Element is on of the reasons I bought one. I appreciate your input!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:48 am 
Utility Grade

3 months ago my dad got back into shooting trap since his last time in the 80s. One day I was off and he asked me to go to the club to shoot with him. My most suitable gun at the time was my 11-87. I took it and enjoyed myself and decided I wanted an o/u to at least look the part. I did some research and felt that the orion was the best choice in my price range and would suit my needs. I dont have the time to shoot in leagues or tournaments so I shoot on the practice days that I can make it to the club just to hang our with dad. When I was able to find a deal on an Orion Sport that got me out the door for just under 800 I took the chance.

I have 700 rounds through it so far and am very satisfied. Its visibly pleasing to me, it fits, points and swings well. It shoots well as a beginner I'm consistently hitting 22-23 with an ocasional 24 mixed in. I did find I was getting significant cheek slap at first. Someone watched me shoot and found out it was me trying to flatten out the rib and not the gun.

I watched Mr Wakeman's video on the orion and believe my orion has a lighter trigger weight than his sample did. It is less than the weight of the gun for both barrels, I don't have a trigger weight scale but it feels less than any of my hunting shot guns. Some of the regular shooters at the club have checked it out and felt I made a good choice vs some of the other guns in the price range.

Is the durability there? I don't know yet only time will tell on that. If I shoot enough to break it or wear it out that will be the time to consider a possible upgrade.

With the money I didn't spend on a gun I bought a set of Trulock chokes, a used Mec 9000, and reloading components.