ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Picked up a Tristar Upland Hunter from Walmart
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:39 pm 
Field Grade

I saw one of these in Walmart yesterday and it's quite nice really.

I was looking at a Yildiz Legacy HP at Academy, but this Tristar had pretty much the same features for about $100 less, and they were both pretty cheap to begin with.

It's 20 gauge, 26" barrels, fiber optic front with no mid-bead, 5 extended chokes, mechanical instead of inertia reset selective single trigger.
The wood looks quite nice, although I don't really care about the looks.

I had intended to get out today and put 100 or so rounds through it, but have had to put it off until tomorrow.

Post subject: Re: Picked up a Tristar Upland Hunter from Walmart
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:45 pm 
Field Grade

Hope it serves you well .Doves and quail maybe ?Is it a OU or SS ?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:09 pm 
Field Grade

No, just plinking. I'm not a hunter. And I just wanted to see how this might hold up to casual use.

It's on O/U

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:06 pm 
Field Grade

Finally got a chance to take this gun out for some function testing and fun.

I put around 125 rounds down range, and it's a lot of fun. Had zero problems with barrel selection or firing, seemed to shoot pretty much dead on, and the action loosed up nicely after about 75 rounds.

I would not be surprised if it would no hold up to thousands of rounds per year, just based on what I had read about low budge vs. high budget, but that's not the kind of shooting I do so it's perfect for what I want to do.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:04 pm 
Crown Grade

mikemck wrote:
Finally got a chance to take this gun out for some function testing and fun.

I put around 125 rounds down range, and it's a lot of fun. Had zero problems with barrel selection or firing, seemed to shoot pretty much dead on, and the action loosed up nicely after about 75 rounds.

I would not be surprised if it would no hold up to thousands of rounds per year, just based on what I had read about low budge vs. high budget, but that's not the kind of shooting I do so it's perfect for what I want to do.

Congrats on the new gun! Matching expectations with anticipated lifespan is a prudent thing to do.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:31 pm 
Utility Grade

I also picked one of these up, A 20 gauge back in February. My buddy motivated me as he bought the 12 ga at the same time. Shot it at some hand throws, then pandemic.

Fast forward about 5 months and the last couple months we have been shooting trap one day a week. I had never tried any shotgun sports before that. I probably have about 800 rounds down it and really like it. I started off averaging about 12-14 hits a round and am now pretty regularly about 20-21/25. Yesterday was 4 rounds of 20/20/16/20. Still not sure what happened on that 16, but nothing wanted to hit.

Anyway, really like mine so far! And now the wife is getting interested in maybe trying some clays!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:05 pm 
Diamond Grade

Mako72 wrote:
Anyway, really like mine so far! And now the wife is getting interested in maybe trying some clays!

BINGO! Now you can get her a Beretta or Browning for Christmas. And borrow it a lot. Until she buys you one for your birthday.