ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Canuck Hunter 12 Gauge LH Review
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:33 pm 
Field Grade

I recently traded a Browning BPS which is a great gun but I could not remember to pump, for a Canuck Hunter LH in Mossy Oak bottomlands camo. For those who don't know the Canuck brand is imported to Canada by Odell Engineering from Armsan in Turkey. Most of you will recognize this as the Tri star viper, or the Armsan A612. I was a little apprehensive about trading a solid Browning but after a month of shooting and a couple of boxes of shells I am very happy. The gun performed flawlessly and is a solid gas operated gun. It comes with a green long bead sight and a nice red aluminum follower. Being a left handed shooter this gun fits me perfectly without adjustments. It is a 28 inch , with up to 3 inch capacity. Also light at just under 7 lbs . It comes with 3 chokes , and shims. They are interchangeable with the Benelli Mobil choke system.
The semi auto gas system is easy to clean with a one piece gas piston. The action is a copy of the Beretta action. The only issue which, I would expect is, the gun was a little hard to cock but being new that is to be expected. After a couple of boxes of heavy loads, and a thorough cleaning has become easier.
The Bottomlands camo is very well done.
Over all I am so far quite happy with the overall performance and feel of this gun. I will revisit this review after a full season .
Over all I am very happy with the gun

Winchester SX4 12 , 26 and 28, Mossberg Silver Reserve II 20 , 26, Remington 1100 IT 20 26 with Tru chokes. AYA 20 , SS 26. Stoeger M3000 12 , Shadow Grass Blades 28,. Benelli Montefeltro 12 , 28 left handed, Canuck Hunter Semi 12 MODB left Hand 28.

Post subject: Re: Canuck Hunter 12 Gauge LH Review
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:39 am 
Field Grade

Update: Well Maybe not so satisfied. After about 3 boxes of shells I decided to clean the gas operation on the gun. I have done this before and the gun was fine. The gun worked flawlessly. When I removed the magazine cap, the cap ,the magazine spring, retainer and plug flew across the room. The plastic tabs that hold the retainer in place in the mag tube had both broken off . I found it to be a cheap thin plastic piece.
I contacted the dealer but I have little hope of a replacement.
I will probably use a spring clip type retainer, which I have on several of my autoloaders, that seems to work well.
For such a well made gun I cannot see why Armsan would use such a cheap part.
I will have to use a thicker magazine plug as well.
I don t want to have to fight with the spring every time I clean the gun.
Not good after less than a month.

Winchester SX4 12 , 26 and 28, Mossberg Silver Reserve II 20 , 26, Remington 1100 IT 20 26 with Tru chokes. AYA 20 , SS 26. Stoeger M3000 12 , Shadow Grass Blades 28,. Benelli Montefeltro 12 , 28 left handed, Canuck Hunter Semi 12 MODB left Hand 28.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:06 pm 
Crown Grade

Zman28302 wrote:
Update: Well Maybe not so satisfied. After about 3 boxes of shells I decided to clean the gas operation on the gun. I have done this before and the gun was fine. The gun worked flawlessly. When I removed the magazine cap, the cap ,the magazine spring, retainer and plug flew across the room. The plastic tabs that hold the retainer in place in the mag tube had both broken off . I found it to be a cheap thin plastic piece.
I contacted the dealer but I have little hope of a replacement.
I will probably use a spring clip type retainer, which I have on several of my autoloaders, that seems to work well.
For such a well made gun I cannot see why Armsan would use such a cheap part.
I will have to use a thicker magazine plug as well.
I don t want to have to fight with the spring every time I clean the gun.
Not good after less than a month.

You could call and buy a replacement from Tristar. They are indeed cheap but work most of the time. Buy a couple in case you are worried about it happening again.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:13 am 
Field Grade

Well I contacted the dealer and the part is on its way. He will forward it to me by mail. Technically the Duck and Goose season is over so I have some time to come up with a solution if the part does not arrive.
I found that not having a retainer is not a big deal as long as you hold the Magazine cap tight and slowly release the spring pressure.
The gun again worked flawlessly the last time out and I had no issues. I put another box of 1 1/8 oz 1550s through it while duck hunting on Lake Erie .
When I purchased this gun I was a little apprehensive about parts availability. This will be a good test.
I must admit that felt recoil was minimal even with these heavy loads. It is a 3 inch gun, and that is all I shoot for ducks and geese.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:31 am 
Field Grade

I contacted the Gun Shop where I bought the Gun and he sent me the wrong part. I sent it back with a diagram of the part. I also contacted the importer. With the season over I had forgotten about the part and I was surprised to receive a package a couple of weeks later. I could not tell who it came from, the shop or owner. The part consists of 4 parts. The plastic magazine spring retainer , a spring , pin , and metal collar that screws into the retainer. The item came with only the plastic piece, no instructions so I had to use the old spring , pin and collar. These three metal parts make up the piece the makes the ratchet sound when you screw on the magazine cap, to keep it from backing off.
I had to destroy the old piece to get the metal parts, and insert them into the tiny hole supplied in the plastic retainer. I managed, to get it inserted but the collar is slightly raised. I inserted the retainer in the tube and it works perfectly.
I will be very careful when removing the magazine cap in future. So I am pleased with the outcome.
I purchased a red dot sight and a bore sighting laser . So next up is Turkey season. The receiver on the Canuck has a dovetail. The red dot base was too large and I had to buy a rail. Total 60 bucks for both from Amazon prime Canada.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:13 am 
Utility Grade

hey Zman28302,

Can you tell me how exactly you mounted a red dot to your canuck hunter? I have the same gun, and have no idea what to buy to make a red dot work with it.

Thanks!

-Alex

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:32 am 
Field Grade

[quote="adzidek"]hey Zman28302,

Can you tell me how exactly you mounted a red dot to your canuck hunter? I have the same gun, and have no idea what to buy to make a red dot work with it.

Thanks!

-Alex[/quot
The gun comes with a dovetail mount. I ordered what I thought was supposed to fit. The one I chose was the cheapest on Amazon. It was supposed to fit 11 to 20 mm. The dove tail is the Euro version at 11 mm. I even asked if the unit would fit that dovetail size. So much for Amazon questions. The red dot mount would not reduce to 11 mm. I had to buy a short picatinny mount that would accommodate an 11 mm to 20 mm mount. My buddy has the exact gun and he was able to get a red dot that fit the 11 mm dovetail. I will update with the actual parts I ordered from Amazon.ca.
Sorry about the delay in answering.
I looked up the parts and the red dot was a Feyachi rs29 or the previous one that this replaces. The picatinny mou t was an 11 to 20 adaptor.
In looking back every reference for the red dot says 20 mm mount. I don't know how I was confused. It all works well.
The 11 mm Euro version has 60 degree dovetails. The USA version 3/8 size has 45 degree dovetail angles. If you can get a 11 degree mount red dot you will save the money. They must be available because my buddy has one. Either way I spent about 70 Can.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:28 pm 
Utility Grade

[/quote]
The gun comes with a dovetail mount. I ordered what I thought was supposed to fit. The one I chose was the cheapest on Amazon. It was supposed to fit 11 to 20 mm. The dove tail is the Euro version at 11 mm. I even asked if the unit would fit that dovetail size. So much for Amazon questions. The red dot mount would not reduce to 11 mm. I had to buy a short picatinny mount that would accommodate an 11 mm to 20 mm mount. My buddy has the exact gun and he was able to get a red dot that fit the 11 mm dovetail. I will update with the actual parts I ordered from Amazon.ca.
Sorry about the delay in answering.
I looked up the parts and the red dot was a Feyachi rs29 or the previous one that this replaces. The picatinny mou t was an 11 to 20 adaptor.
In looking back every reference for the red dot says 20 mm mount. I don't know how I was confused. It all works well.
The 11 mm Euro version has 60 degree dovetails. The USA version 3/8 size has 45 degree dovetail angles. If you can get a 11 degree mount red dot you will save the money. They must be available because my buddy has one. Either way I spent about 70 Can.[/quote]

Are we talking about the same gun? My Canuck Hunter definitely does not have a dovetail mount. Unless I'm insane, which is entirely possible. This is the shotgun I have:

https://www.bullseyenorth.com/shop/canu ... ronze-9179

Alex

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:01 pm 
Field Grade

Alex I see the problem. Your gun is different than ours. Ours are rebranded Armsan A612 model. Odell manufacturing imports many different guns. My Nephew and I have the same LH guns with full camo. His wife has the same one as you with the bronze ceracote and camo. I have never looked closely at her gun. If yours doesn't have grooves the length of the receiver then it is a different model. I will ask him tomorrow to check out her gun. I have seen several configurations from Odell all called the Cannuck Hunter..
You are not crazy.
When I first got the gun I had no idea what a dovetail was. None of my other guns have it. My Nephew was the one who pointed it out.
One question. Did the packaging and the owners manual ,on your gun say Armsan on it. Odell may be using other Turkish manufacturers. They do for their double guns.
Hope you get what I am trying to say.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:54 am 
Utility Grade

Zman28302 wrote:
Alex I see the problem. Your gun is different than ours. Ours are rebranded Armsan A612 model. Odell manufacturing imports many different guns. My Nephew and I have the same LH guns with full camo. His wife has the same one as you with the bronze ceracote and camo. I have never looked closely at her gun. If yours doesn't have grooves the length of the receiver then it is a different model. I will ask him tomorrow to check out her gun. I have seen several configurations from Odell all called the Cannuck Hunter..
You are not crazy.
When I first got the gun I had no idea what a dovetail was. None of my other guns have it. My Nephew was the one who pointed it out.
One question. Did the packaging and the owners manual ,on your gun say Armsan on it. Odell may be using other Turkish manufacturers. They do for their double guns.
Hope you get what I am trying to say.

Ok that makes sense. I guess I'm stuck with trying to get a custom solution. Here's what I'm probably going to go with, in case you're interested:

https://meadowcreekmounts.com/order-now ... -rib-mount

https://www.camouflage.ca/ncstar-vism-f ... flex-sight

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:05 am 
Field Grade

Looks simple enough to install. Ours are on top of the receiver . The "Red Dot" has several configurations of dots . I like the larger Green cross option. Easier to see in low light. He got his guns from Triggers and Bows, and I got mine from Eli's in Simcoe.[
I like the Flip option on your sight. I bought a laser bore sighter that fits in the receiver to sight in the guns. It had a red laser and you could not see it outdoors at 30 yards. He had one that fits in the end of the barell with a green laser that was highly visible. It saved a lot of shells to sight in the Red dots.
My Nephew was out yesterday in the long point area, no kills but a lot of hunters out.
I live in Niagara and haven't been out yet.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:15 am 
Utility Grade

Zman28302 wrote:
Looks simple enough to install. Ours are on top of the receiver . The "Red Dot" has several configurations of dots . I like the larger Green cross option. Easier to see in low light. He got his guns from Triggers and Bows, and I got mine from Eli's in Simcoe.[
I like the Flip option on your sight. I bought a laser bore sighter that fits in the receiver to sight in the guns. It had a red laser and you could not see it outdoors at 30 yards. He had one that fits in the end of the barell with a green laser that was highly visible. It saved a lot of shells to sight in the Red dots.
My Nephew was out yesterday in the long point area, no kills but a lot of hunters out.
I live in Niagara and haven't been out yet.

Hey if you ever wanna go out, let me know. I don't have permission on any land out here (I'm in London) but if you have somewhere to go, I'm willing to drive!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:24 pm 
Field Grade

We have a petty tight knit group. Consisting of my brother and his sons. My one nephew's wife also hunts. We do not have permissions and are forced to use public areas. If we all show up it can be quite a group. So I understand where you are coming from, if I was by myself I would accept your offer. In our situation I would have to decline. Good luck with your red dot. I still can't believe your gun does not have the grooves for the dovetail. How many Canuck Hunter configuration can there be.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 8:26 am 
Field Grade

I checked with Bullseye North and they said the gun in the picture has a dovetail.
The dovetail is just grooves on either side of the receiver. My nephew had to point it out.
Just saying.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 5:08 pm 
Utility Grade

Zman28302 wrote:
I checked with Bullseye North and they said the gun in the picture has a dovetail.
The dovetail is just grooves on either side of the receiver. My nephew had to point it out.
Just saying.

No way! So I guess the question is, is it 3/8" or 11mm? Any idea how I would figure that out?

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 6:56 pm 
Field Grade

adzidek wrote:
Zman28302 wrote:
Just saying.

No way! So I guess the question is, is it 3/8" or 11mm? Any idea how I would figure that out?

It is the Euro version 11 mm. Sorry for the delay.