ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fair price for lightly used S&W Gold Elite
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:29 pm 
Utility Grade

A local gentleman has offered to sell me his Smith & Wesson. It has approximately 300-400 rounds through it, apparently all on sporting clays. It includes this fitted case:

https://www.jeffsoutfitters.com/product ... e-by-side/

He is asking $1700. I've tried to do some research, and if I'm reading things correctly, these seemed to have very good reputations, despite the lack of interest when they were released. If I'm right, I've heard they're essentially the same as the Dickinson guns Cabela's carried, from the AKUS plant. Through apparently there are not spare parts for repairs?

So, my questions are:

Is $1700 a fair price?
Is repair at all likely if there should be a problem down the road?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Fair price for lightly used S&W Gold Elite
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:41 pm 
Crown Grade

Based on BB prices, it's high. It's on BB for $1250 for a 100% gun. Based on what Akus guns are selling for new I still think it's high.

Supposedly there are smiths around that will work on them. When I bought my Dickinson, and asked about spare firing pins, I was told that they didn't sell replacement parts but would take care of warranty issues

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:12 am 
Crown Grade

Kody Kearcher, gunsmith in Sunriver, OR, 541-617-9299, is one of the few craftsmen who can work on the AKUS gun's trigger plate triggers. When I went through Jack Rowe's double gun gunsmithing course in Tishomingo, OK some years back, Jack was discussing trigger work and stated that the Smith & Wesson trigger plate was the only trigger that he couldn't work on. Kody is the real deal.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:23 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for Kody's name. Given that the S&W appears to essentially be the same shotgun as a Dickinson, I'm likely to just get a Dickinson at much less cost. I know Dickinson has a support office, but I'll still hang onto Kody's name and contact information.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:47 am 
Tournament Grade

tnlonghunter wrote:
Thanks for Kody's name. Given that the S&W appears to essentially be the same shotgun as a Dickinson, I'm likely to just get a Dickinson at much less cost. I know Dickinson has a support office, but I'll still hang onto Kody's name and contact information.

^ +1 . Better course of action in the long run.