ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Tristar #1 - Viper G2 Sporting
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:06 am 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:44 am
Posts: 173
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Just picked this up as a spare fun for family/friends to shoot with me. I like the synthetic stock because others can bang it around and its ok.

Anyways, I'm adding a couple of guns to my safe to keep the browning company. The first one is a Tristar Viper G2 Sporting.

Picked it up saturday (new) and went to break it in. I didn't have magnum shells as they recommend for breakin. All I had was my 1oz, 1250 fps reloads.

The first 20-25 shots did not cycle the action. I had to do it manually. After it cooled off, I shot those same shells again, half cycled the action. By the 4th box, everything was cycling pretty good. I even broke a few clays.

Question: When I have two shells in the gun, and I shoot the first one, the gun makes a not so pleasant sound loading that second shell into the chamber? Will this go away with time? Or it is normal? (Gun kept firing)

Question: the gun seems to shoot low for me. Is the shim kit really helpful?


Pick up Tristar #2 tomorrow.



_________________
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Browning Citori 725 Sporting
Tristar Viper G2 Sporting
Tristar Sporting O/U (aka Turkish Junk)
MEC 9000 to reload


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tristar #1 - Viper G2 Sporting
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:40 am 
Limited Edition

Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:54 pm
Posts: 371
Did You clean and lube it before You took it out? I would definitely try to get some hi brass loads to break ( them) in. Any issues call Tristar they answer the phone. Good Luck.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tristar #1 - Viper G2 Sporting
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:14 am 
Field Grade

Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:40 pm
Posts: 38
IMHO the shim kit is highly effective. Takes some patience but it is easy enough.
I used the soda straw method.
Tape a straw to the top of the receiver. Close your eyes and mount the gun several times until you are getting a good consistent cheek rest. Then open your eyes and check your sight picture through the straw. Take it down, change the shims according to what you saw, and do it all again.
Seemed to work for me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tristar #1 - Viper G2 Sporting
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:44 am
Posts: 173
Location: Los Angeles, CA
.45colt wrote:
Did You clean and lube it before You took it out? I would definitely try to get some hi brass loads to break ( them) in. Any issues call Tristar they answer the phone. Good Luck.


I did not clean and lube it... yet! I picked it up from the gun store and went straight to the range. I'll lube it properly this weekend.

_________________
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Browning Citori 725 Sporting
Tristar Viper G2 Sporting
Tristar Sporting O/U (aka Turkish Junk)
MEC 9000 to reload


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tristar #1 - Viper G2 Sporting
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:54 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:11 am
Posts: 4686
Location: Western Tampa, FL
md2020 wrote:
.45colt wrote:
Did You clean and lube it before You took it out? I would definitely try to get some hi brass loads to break ( them) in. Any issues call Tristar they answer the phone. Good Luck.


I did not clean and lube it... yet! I picked it up from the gun store and went straight to the range. I'll lube it properly this weekend.


That might explain some of the early issues as well as not having heavier loads to start with. I remember when I got mine and first took apart to clean, it was practically swimming in oil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tristar #1 - Viper G2 Sporting
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:44 am
Posts: 173
Location: Los Angeles, CA
newstart2k wrote:
IMHO the shim kit is highly effective. Takes some patience but it is easy enough.
I used the soda straw method.
Tape a straw to the top of the receiver. Close your eyes and mount the gun several times until you are getting a good consistent cheek rest. Then open your eyes and check your sight picture through the straw. Take it down, change the shims according to what you saw, and do it all again.
Seemed to work for me.



Interesting technique. I should try it



_________________
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Browning Citori 725 Sporting
Tristar Viper G2 Sporting
Tristar Sporting O/U (aka Turkish Junk)
MEC 9000 to reload


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Registered users: 2LegsBetter, 525 sporting, AHI, amboy49, Bad English, Bakerloo, Basstar, Bing [Bot], Bonneville, boosno1, cdemusz, CWPINST, dannyd93140, dirty girdy, dogchaser37, dpe2002, Ductape, EricB, Ernest T, fishrising, FL-Shooter, Flyingtargets!, Gadwall, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, Hquiles, I like pie, ithacanut, jlssd1, JoM, jtw, KevinTaylor, KidneyDoc, kpag, leftex, LitzerSki, loneranger, Loogie, Majestic-12 [Bot], Malcolm7, Markepilot, MarkHodson, Mike Foley, Mkk, Muskieman223, mywrangler94, Novak77, oneounceload, Osiek, painter*, papillonkirby, Patently Obvious, patriot861, pjmx, Pmollo, polywad6963, Rack-N-Roy, rbdjr, RichM, RMc, Rudolph31, SHughes, Skeet_Man, Specklebelly, SummerdogMT, SuperXOne, swampcreek, Tailchaser, Tokamecotom, tresamigovizslas, Vette Jockey2, Wchadw, Woodsie131, Woodymac


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group    - DMCA Notice