ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steel Hull Ponsness Warren Question
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Is anyone reloading steel hulls, RIOS or Fiocchi on a PW press?
i have a new 800 plus and wondering about results or failures concerning the steel based hulls.

Post subject: Re: Steel Hull Ponsness Warren Question
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:07 pm 
Crown Grade

lesharris wrote:
Is anyone reloading steel hulls, RIOS or Fiocchi on a PW press?
i have a new 800 plus and wondering about results or failures concerning the steel based hulls.

Not a Euro hull, but I load 20 gauge Gun Clubs on my 800+ with no issues.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:54 pm 
Diamond Grade

even the gun clubs like to stick in the tall shell holder machines.
I tried wet lube, dry lube and running the machine a little differently to punch them out.
I finally just gave up and resorted to pre-sizing all of the steel headed hulls.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

I use a mec supersizer.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:02 pm 
Presentation Grade

I use an 800 CVT and have no trouble sizing or ejecting any hull, brass, American steel or Euro steel.

If your dies are too tight (small) have P/W open them more.

CT

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 6:52 am 
Utility Grade

In my experience, albeit limited, once fired Fiocchi hulls with the plated steel head do not resize well. Using a PW 375 -they required excessive force to resize, they were difficult to eject afterwards....and unfortunately a MEC Supersizer did not produce the desired result. The steel base seems to retain a set memory of the post-firing size and springs back to oversize even after a prolonged hold whilst in the MEC collet.
This was with the 12G Fiocchi target hull with 15mm plated steel head.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 11:21 am 
Presentation Grade

harkom wrote:
In my experience, albeit limited, once fired Fiocchi hulls with the plated steel head do not resize well. Using a PW 375 -they required excessive force to resize, they were difficult to eject afterwards....and unfortunately a MEC Supersizer did not produce the desired result. The steel base seems to retain a set memory of the post-firing size and springs back to oversize even after a prolonged hold whilst in the MEC collet.

It is not the Fiocchi hulls. See my post above.
Your dies are too small in inside diameter. Send them to P/W and have them open them up as needed.
My P/W sizes all hulls without the problem you are having.

CT

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:23 pm 
Utility Grade

searun wrote:
harkom wrote:

Your dies are too small in inside diameter. Send them to P/W and have them open them up as needed.

CT

Thank you for your reply, but....my PW dies have never had a problem with any other make or type of hull ....so why would I send the dies back to PW for alteration?
And to corroborate the fault lies with the Fiocchi hulls, my Supersizer cannot imprint a resize on these Fiocchi hulls ...but has no problem with other types of hull.

Seems odd to me.. but I am sure that you know better.

harkom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

harkom wrote:
searun wrote:
harkom wrote:

CT

Thank you for your reply, but....my PW dies have never had a problem with any other make or type of hull ....so why would I send the dies back to PW for alteration?
And to corroborate the fault lies with the Fiocchi hulls, my Supersizer cannot imprint a resize on these Fiocchi hulls ...but has no problem with other types of hull.

Seems odd to me.. but I am sure that you know better.

harkom

Harkom,

Because mine were to tight (small) on the ID and after P/W opened them up a little I can resize any 12ga hull with ease and without problem.
But if you don't believe keep on struggling.

CT