ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Steel Hull Ponsness Warren Question
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:04 pm
Posts: 235
Location: Eastern Pa.
Is anyone reloading steel hulls, RIOS or Fiocchi on a PW press?
i have a new 800 plus and wondering about results or failures concerning the steel based hulls.



_________________
NRA Life Member And Proud Of It


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steel Hull Ponsness Warren Question
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:07 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:08 am
Posts: 2105
Location: Central NH
lesharris wrote:
Is anyone reloading steel hulls, RIOS or Fiocchi on a PW press?
i have a new 800 plus and wondering about results or failures concerning the steel based hulls.

Not a Euro hull, but I load 20 gauge Gun Clubs on my 800+ with no issues.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steel Hull Ponsness Warren Question
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:54 pm 
Diamond Grade

Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:59 pm
Posts: 1013
even the gun clubs like to stick in the tall shell holder machines.
I tried wet lube, dry lube and running the machine a little differently to punch them out.
I finally just gave up and resorted to pre-sizing all of the steel headed hulls.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steel Hull Ponsness Warren Question
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:45 am
Posts: 820
Location: Utah
I use a mec supersizer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steel Hull Ponsness Warren Question
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:02 pm 
Presentation Grade
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:12 pm
Posts: 547
Location: Oregon
I use an 800 CVT and have no trouble sizing or ejecting any hull, brass, American steel or Euro steel.

If your dies are too tight (small) have P/W open them more.

CT


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steel Hull Ponsness Warren Question
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 6:52 am 
Utility Grade

Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:46 am
Posts: 18
In my experience, albeit limited, once fired Fiocchi hulls with the plated steel head do not resize well. Using a PW 375 -they required excessive force to resize, they were difficult to eject afterwards....and unfortunately a MEC Supersizer did not produce the desired result. The steel base seems to retain a set memory of the post-firing size and springs back to oversize even after a prolonged hold whilst in the MEC collet.
This was with the 12G Fiocchi target hull with 15mm plated steel head.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steel Hull Ponsness Warren Question
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 11:21 am 
Presentation Grade
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:12 pm
Posts: 547
Location: Oregon
harkom wrote:
In my experience, albeit limited, once fired Fiocchi hulls with the plated steel head do not resize well. Using a PW 375 -they required excessive force to resize, they were difficult to eject afterwards....and unfortunately a MEC Supersizer did not produce the desired result. The steel base seems to retain a set memory of the post-firing size and springs back to oversize even after a prolonged hold whilst in the MEC collet.
This was with the 12G Fiocchi target hull with 15mm plated steel head.


It is not the Fiocchi hulls. See my post above.
Your dies are too small in inside diameter. Send them to P/W and have them open them up as needed.
My P/W sizes all hulls without the problem you are having.

CT


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steel Hull Ponsness Warren Question
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:23 pm 
Utility Grade

Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:46 am
Posts: 18
searun wrote:
harkom wrote:
In my experience, albeit limited, once fired Fiocchi hulls with the plated steel head do not resize well. Using a PW 375 -they required excessive force to resize, they were difficult to eject afterwards....and unfortunately a MEC Supersizer did not produce the desired result. The steel base seems to retain a set memory of the post-firing size and springs back to oversize even after a prolonged hold whilst in the MEC collet.
This was with the 12G Fiocchi target hull with 15mm plated steel head.


It is not the Fiocchi hulls. See my post above.
Your dies are too small in inside diameter. Send them to P/W and have them open them up as needed.
My P/W sizes all hulls without the problem you are having.

CT

Thank you for your reply, but....my PW dies have never had a problem with any other make or type of hull ....so why would I send the dies back to PW for alteration?
And to corroborate the fault lies with the Fiocchi hulls, my Supersizer cannot imprint a resize on these Fiocchi hulls ...but has no problem with other types of hull.

Seems odd to me.. but I am sure that you know better.

harkom


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steel Hull Ponsness Warren Question
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:12 pm 
Presentation Grade
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:12 pm
Posts: 547
Location: Oregon
harkom wrote:
searun wrote:
harkom wrote:
In my experience, albeit limited, once fired Fiocchi hulls with the plated steel head do not resize well. Using a PW 375 -they required excessive force to resize, they were difficult to eject afterwards....and unfortunately a MEC Supersizer did not produce the desired result. The steel base seems to retain a set memory of the post-firing size and springs back to oversize even after a prolonged hold whilst in the MEC collet.
This was with the 12G Fiocchi target hull with 15mm plated steel head.


It is not the Fiocchi hulls. See my post above.
Your dies are too small in inside diameter. Send them to P/W and have them open them up as needed.
My P/W sizes all hulls without the problem you are having.

CT

Thank you for your reply, but....my PW dies have never had a problem with any other make or type of hull ....so why would I send the dies back to PW for alteration?
And to corroborate the fault lies with the Fiocchi hulls, my Supersizer cannot imprint a resize on these Fiocchi hulls ...but has no problem with other types of hull.

Seems odd to me.. but I am sure that you know better.

harkom


Harkom,

Because mine were to tight (small) on the ID and after P/W opened them up a little I can resize any 12ga hull with ease and without problem.
But if you don't believe keep on struggling.

CT




Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Bird Guide, bullseye-69, captjsjr, casonet, codyman, Darkhorse60, Dave-K, DEG, Denver1911, dfw_bill, DKW1, dpalmer1969, ebcjr, fiddlesticks, goodemachine, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, hfd100, John H, jrmev, Lu 45, mactownbob, Maser, mikehunter1954, Mkk, napawino, NOSmitty65, oneounceload, oyeme, Patently Obvious, PawleysJim, polla1983, rans, Raul Perez, richg99, Rudolph31, Schnurb, ScummyBadger, searun, sekennedy, Skeet_Man, Snowpenguin*, StevenZ, Tidefanatic, TOM-M, ulrickaka, winmod21, woodchuck123, xsshooter, ysr_racer


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
© 2017 Carbon Media Group Outdoors    - DMCA Notice