ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 28ga. Fiocchi primed 2 3/4" hull recipes. What the...?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:29 pm 
Diamond Grade

I've been happily reloading Win.AAHS 28ga. hulls for clay targets. I also have a few hundred Federal hulls.

While looking for some spicy field loads in the Ballistic Products' Small Bore Manual, I noticed some interesting 3/4 oz., 13/16 oz. and 7/8 oz. loads using the Longshot powder I have on hand with 2 3/4" Fiocchi hulls/primers. So, I ordered up 200 primed 2 3/4" Fiocchi hulls and an assortment of wads. I also grabbed a bag of BP's OS28 overshot wads.

So far, none of the recipes I've tried come close to making a decent shotshell. Even with the addition of an overshot wad in some cases, the shells look like 2 3/4" loads in 3" hulls. The first few attempts were with Fiocchi RO28 wads. Then I tried recipes with BP's SG-28II. Still way too short of a stack height. I then tried some Federal and Remington wad loads. All were short. Powder charges were 16.5gr. Longshot in the 3/4 oz., 16.2 gr. in the 13/16 oz. and 15 gr. in the 7/8 oz.

Attachment:
IMG_0213.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_0217.JPG

I honestly think this is the first time I tried a recipe from a reliable source and it didn't produce a useable shotshell. I know some published loads are "safe" but nowhere near ideal. I tried three or four different loads and none seemed ideal. Am I missing something obvious? The powder and shot charges of these examples were weighed, BTW.

I'll try shooting and patterning them out of my Silver Pigeon just for the heck of it, but I don't think I'd try them in my Franchi 48 AL.

Thanks for any advice or pet loads with these hulls.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: 28ga. Fiocchi primed 2 3/4" hull recipes. What the...?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:05 pm 
Limited Edition

Watching

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

So, I guess this is where the Cheerio or dried bean comes in until I get longer wads?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

I ordered my selection of wads by choosing various lengths. But now I realize the length of the cushion section can be more important than the OAL.

I found that the Gualandi SG-28 (not the SG-28II that I purchased) is the wad used in Fiocchi factory 3/4 oz. loads in that hull and is the wad I'd probably use the most. I have some on the way. That should solve my problem. If not, I'll break out the breakfast cereal and dried legumes...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:24 pm 
Diamond Grade

Just for the heck of it, I brought a bag of popping corn down to the loading bench. I used a recipe for 13/16 oz. of shot but dropped four kernels of corn into the Remington PT28S wads before dropping 3/4 oz. of #9s. I ended up with a very nice looking crimp. I'll try the results at the skeet club tomorrow morning...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:29 pm 

BPI makes manuals to sell the product that they happen to have on hand, not what you really want to pay for. Their wad prices are about double the Downrange or CB wad prices.
They have a lot of suspect data in their books according to those that have tested their loads independently.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:35 pm 
Diamond Grade

Curly N wrote:
BPI makes manuals to sell the product that they happen to have on hand, not what you really want to pay for. Their wad prices are about double the Downrange or CB wad prices.
They have a lot of suspect data in their books according to those that have tested their loads independently.

Thanks very much for sharing your experienced opinion; I appreciate it. I was initially very excited to purchase the BP Small Bore Manual and see the wonderful variety of loads in it. Now, not so much.

I did notice right away that I could buy the BP products cheaper, and with less expensive shipping, from other places like Midway. I thought that was peculiar. Now, I think even their load data is peculiar... :?