ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Guide to Straight Wall Hulls
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Dave in AZ wrote:
Got 1 box of Clever Mirage T1 20ga hulls myself. The basewad looks just like Fiocchi in 20ga, it's that dark grey/black plastic. Looked identical.

Cerberus has Clever Mirage listed under "Noble Sport" on the first post, but at least in 20ga it is definitely NOT NS-- I have about a case of those too that I picked up, the NS basewad is white plastic and looks most similar to cheddite. The Clever Mirage 20ga is definitely Fiocchi--while I haven't cut it open, I did look down there in bright sunlight today and compare them, they're the same color/conformation/height on primer/hull material/brass base. I'd use Fiocchi recipes for CM in 20ga.
Dave, I'm editing you post in the quote format to highlight the new info. When I wrote up the Guide it was mostly intended to focus on 12 gauge hulls as they were the most common.

It's becoming apparent that there is a lot of sharing of components between the European manufacturers. It's quite possible that a brand like, say Clever, was loaded in a Nobel hull and now is in something else.

While this may be confusing, the more I look at it the more I think that most all of the normal data is equally fungible. Heavy tight loads like steel and buck may require specific data to fit, but the basic stuff most people load means data for one is data for all.

Feel free to make specific entries to the thread with updates like this so we keep the info current.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Dave, If it doesn't rain tomorrow I hope to go to my club and add a hulls only bin on our trap field. But I shoot with most of the guys that use the trap field and they all hand me their discards now.

I was shooting at a commercial shooting course the other day where I found the Clever hull and there's a trash bin at each station. Bin diving resulted in about a dozen Remington hulls (STS & GC), out of 15 stations. Otherwise all Winchester Universal, RIO, Herters, Fiocchi and Federal top gun hulls. I won't pick up any Federal paper base wad hulls that I haven't seen shot since moisture overnight around here could be a problem. The others would just add to my stash of SW hulls that is already plenty. Lately, most of the group I shoot with are shooting Rio shells and I'm avoiding them at the moment.

- Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:34 pm 
Utility Grade

I may be the last guy to know but I just got a call from a friend who says the hulls turning up around the country in 12 gauge Federal form according to Federal are not reloadable. WalMart is selling them a hundred at a time. Plastic hull alright but Euro sized primer; not fed 209A size at all. somehow that just doesn't set will with me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:56 pm 
Diamond Grade

WetMetL wrote:
I may be the last guy to know but I just got a call from a friend who says the hulls turning up around the country in 12 gauge Federal form according to Federal are not reloadable. WalMart is selling them a hundred at a time. Plastic hull alright but Euro sized primer; not fed 209A size at all. somehow that just doesn't set will with me.

You ARE the last guy to know ;) They are RIO hulls made by Rio in TX, subcontracted by Federal. They are a great hull for reloading. Use a Rio209 primer (or Fiocchi616 or Noble Sport 209, which are also euro-sized primers, but ch209 is too small). Everyone likes them, and they're very roomy and nice for steel shot. Here's one of about 20 threads on them, this one was the 10th thread down on the reloading forum, where it has bounced around now for 4 1/2 months:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=445352

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:49 am 
Crown Grade

Correct. If the shell looks like this, it is a Rio hull, - identical to the Rio blue (except for a 8 pt crimp) :

You need a Euro-sized primer. Either a (OEM) Rio primer, a Fiocchi, or any of the Noble Sport primers.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:02 pm 
Crown Grade

I assumed RIO shells came from somewhere near Rio de Janeiro. Well, they are mostly from Spain excepting the ones from Texas. What shells do we import from South America, if any?
I just learned that a number of cities in Spain have "Rio" in their name.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Rio = river

- Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:15 am 
Crown Grade

It appears that Rem. hulls are still the gold standard for target hulls, replacing the AACF hull. I see Bubba Roundtree is selling Federal Premium hulls. Rem. is pretty much out of stock. What is a Federal Premium hull? Is it a form of their hunting hull or is it a two piece hull with a plastic base wad?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:03 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My only experience is with Federal Gold Medal plastic target. Brass base, straight wall and basically a one piece design. Newer ones are a ribbed plastic that load well and stay together. An older design had a slick hull and some would come apart.......... Larry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:19 am 
Crown Grade

Sorry, I just answered my own question. It says right on the ad that, "they have a plastic base wad & an 8 point crimp". Bubba has them priced at $45 per 500 count.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:02 am 
Field Grade

thor_sen wrote:
Cerberus,

Thanks for putting this together!

I was having an off-line discussion with another member and one thing mentioned was the (seeming) endless variety of SW hulls.

Case in point: several boxes another shooter was using recently of 12ga 'Victory' shells, made in France. (They are identical to and reload just like RIO's)

I don't know if he'll chime in or not but, your chart goes a long way toward making a molehill out of a (seeming) mountain!

Victory hulls are made in Cyprus. Not France, and not RIO (see these being made on You Tube).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:31 pm 
Diamond Grade

Haven't heard from Cerberus since Feb 17 here... profile says he visited 15Aug17, but no posts for a long time, and no email reply. Hope he's well!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:31 am 
Tournament Grade

I may have missed it, but...

I have some 20g Gamebore Regal hulls. Are theses made by Cheddite? What size primer would they take?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:12 am 
Diamond Grade

Flairball wrote:
I may have missed it, but...

I have some 20g Gamebore Regal hulls. Are theses made by Cheddite? What size primer would they take?

Thanks.

Go here

https://gamebore.com/uk/cartridge/game/20g-regal-game

or here

http://kentgamebore.com/products/gamebore-regal.html

It appears they are made by Kent. Your profile does not indicate where you are, so imagonna guess you are not from the US. If youare from the US, there are hundreds of others cheap Euro hulls available to mess with than a 2-1/2' hull like this Regal hull. Or maybe this is what you want, and are shooting it in some older SxS shotguns with short chambers.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:28 pm 
Crown Grade

I guess you have to call them something & straight wall is good as anything I suppose. They are made in South America, the USA, Europe & it wouldn't surprise me to find they are made in Africa. Before the advent of the Win. AA hull, they were all two piece hulls. There were no one piece plastic hulls until the Winchester AA, excepting a few experimental hulls that never caught on. Well, two piece plastic hulls are now Euro hulls so I guess we might as well get use to it. I don't know who made the first one but reifenhauser is German I believe. I do know Winchester, Federal & Remington have been making two piece plastic hulls for a long time, which have a striking similarity to their older hulls with paper tubes. Much ado about nothing I suppose. The main difference is some have plastic base wads & others are paper. They seem to be reloader friendly & hulls of the same type take similar data if not the same data.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:35 pm 
Crown Grade

Dave in Arizona,
I will second your statement. I also hope Cerberus is doing well. His guide is surely helpful to many on here!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:54 am 

geometric wrote:
Dave in Arizona,
I will second your statement. I also hope Cerberus is doing well. His guide is surely helpful to many on here!

Been a while since he visited here. Somebody send him a PM to see if he gets it. He may still get notifications.
Last visited: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:25 pm

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain