ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Straightaway trap type shot
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:00 am 
Presentation Grade

I often find the quick, outgoing, straightaway target that starts under the barrels to be a challenge. Planning to spend some time on a trap field but locking down the trap to give a consistent trajectory isn't an option so my practice is mostly relegated to shooting a few extra shells on stations with one of these birds.

With almost any crossing or quartering bird I generally feel very connected to it but that's not the case with these straightaways. It's like they appear out of nowhere.

My general approach is to premount for these targets. The times I do have success is when I very consciously hold my cheek firmly to the stock but I'm not sure if that's coincidental or not. To not block my view I move the gun a bit to the right (I'm right handed).

Thanks Will for any help you offer!

Post subject: Re: Straightaway trap type shot
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:00 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'm sure that Will will be along shortly with his excellent advice. Meanwhile, I'll give my views on this shot.

I notice that some shooters use an intercept or spot shooting method on this shot. They pick a point on the line and then hold on that point. They call for the target and then fire when the target gets to that point. Seems pretty simple, and I suppose that it is, but for some reason, that method is not very consistent for me.

What works better for me is to pick my break point then move my hold point about 20% to 25% of the way back toward the trap. This means that my hold point is lower than my break point, but still the gun is going to partially block my view of the target. Consequently, I pre-mount the gun, but have my cheek a little off the stock to give me a better view of the target going under my barrels.

When I see the target going under my barrels, I move my cheek to firmer contact with the stock. Then as the target passes my muzzle, I follow the target (to catch up with it) along the flight path and shoot it in the rear when I catch up with it. The momentum of the gun takes care of any minor lead that may be needed. Also, by following the target for a short distance to catch up with it, this compensates for any small deviation in flight path that may occur from target to target.

Anyway, that's how I shoot it. I'll be interested in what Will says. :)

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:12 am 
Crown Grade

The straightaway is one of the most missed birds in trap.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

While awaiting Will’s reply… I migrated into sporting from American trap so, I rarely miss this kind of target.

I used to set my barrels to the right or to the left of target's flight path and soft focused 5-6 yards off the trap but, I found myself making jerking movements towards the target while reacting on target's streak or missing the target line coming to it at an angle due to barrels inertia.

The method I use now is similar to Ulysses’ but with one variation. I pick my break zone (not point) just a few feet before target’s apex to make sure it is still under power and its flight path is consistent. I set my hold point about 20% off that break point towards the trap. I pre-mount the gun into my hold point with my face off the comb and soft focus above my barrels to avoid reacting on target’s streak. I call for the target and wait until it appears in my peripheral, let it pass my barrels, I then come to it slowly from the bottom and pull the trigger when target is in the break zone. That slow move or drift ensures that I have enough time for that final correction if needed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:21 am 
Presentation Grade

For traditional trap shots I use a swing through technique - a hold point above the trap house relative to the station I am on, watch the bird go by and smoothly follow and overtake it - boom.

I used that in sporting clays but the angles, speeds, etc. varied more than trap and messed with my timing. But what doesn't change is the trajectory. Like the other two posts, I pick a spot where the clay is still under power and I can see it very clearly. I make a premount right at that spot and then drop my barrel along the flight path 2-3" at the barrel and lift my head off the stock. I call pull and when I see that target, I make a quick but smooth short mount moving to the clay and fire. I am only a B shooter in sporting clays, but I run a lot of these targets using this method. Sounds similar to the other folks but it took some practice for me. I found a club that had light days on their trap fields and they would lock the trap for me.

NSCA#633193
Kolar Max Lite Sporting (x2)
CSMC RBL Sporting
Ithaca M37
Beretta AL391 Urika 2 (x4)
Beretta A400 Xtreme

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:42 am 
Crown Grade

The targets described by the OP are always easier for two eyed shooters because stereoscopic vision means you never lose sight of the clay. A big help particularly when they're traveling very fast.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:32 am 
Limited Edition

I have been correcting the point of impact on a gun. Patterning and shooting skeet low house 7. Want to get it just right before I add a rib. Want 50/50.

I do not shoot much skeet. If I remember correctly, I always focused on the top of the clay on low house seven. Always powdered the clay. With the new gun, I need to focus on the bottom of the clay. It's confusing since the pattern looks okay. I could be me. The gun is easy to swing and I could be using more swing thru. I have been shooting pasture clays and usually miss the first shot because of not swinging the gun.

It's kind of like a trap shot. Just wondering where you are focused on this shot on low seven.

Know where your barrel is.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:32 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Smoky,
The pre-mounted trap shot is definitively a separate technique from all of my other targets. Goes like this....

When there is 'no delay' from the time I first see the target until it gets to my barrel, I am going to 'fully pre-mount the gun'. Head firm on the stock. My hold point is where the target quits being a 'blur'. Not where it comes into best focus, but where it quits being a 'flash'. My eyes are between the gun and the trap....hold point is ALWAYS ON THE LINE. I start my gun moving on the flash of the clay, and deliver when I see edges on the clay. The target should not pass your barrel....if so, it should be minimal. It is over very quickly......most of the work is done before you call for the target. Its quick, because it is very efficient.

That is a synopsis. That technique is worthy of a lesson or two to get into all the details and nuances. Let me know if I can help further.

Best,

Will

Will Fennell
www.fennellshootingschool.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:35 pm 
Diamond Grade

Will Fennell wrote:
Smoky,
The pre-mounted trap shot is definitively a separate technique from all of my other targets. Goes like this....

When there is 'no delay' from the time I first see the target until it gets to my barrel, I am going to 'fully pre-mount the gun'. Head firm on the stock. My hold point is where the target quits being a 'blur'. Not where it comes into best focus, but where it quits being a 'flash'. My eyes are between the gun and the trap....hold point is ALWAYS ON THE LINE. I start my gun moving on the flash of the clay, and deliver when I see edges on the clay. The target should not pass your barrel....if so, it should be minimal. It is over very quickly......most of the work is done before you call for the target. Its quick, because it is very efficient.

That is a synopsis. That technique is worthy of a lesson or two to get into all the details and nuances. Let me know if I can help further.

Best,

Will

Thanks for the tip, Will. Could you please clarify one thing from your answer though? As I understand, we are discussing a straight-away target coming from underneath. If you fully pre-mount the gun with your head firmly on the stock, would your barrels block your dominant (right) eye, leaving only the left eye to deal with target acquisition? And since you are instructing for target to never pass your barrels, is using only your left eye is enough? Or am I misunderstanding your approach?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:34 am 
Presentation Grade

Thanks Will.

Mortum's followup question is related to mine. Would it be possible for you to briefly describe any differences you might advocate if the bird is level, rising or, heaven forbid, dropping!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you shoot with both eyes open, your off-eye can see the target rise up under your gun -- at least that's how it works for me. I used to mount closer to the trap for these and shoot them as swing-to, but have learned as Will said to hold further above, about where the target transitions from a streak to a single target and shoot them as more of an intercept. Then the move is short and certain to the kill. I have become pretty deadly on these since doing that.

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:25 pm 
Diamond Grade

JacksBack wrote:
If you shoot with both eyes open, your off-eye can see the target rise up under your gun -- at least that's how it works for me. I used to mount closer to the trap for these and shoot them as swing-to, but have learned as Will said to hold further above, about where the target transitions from a streak to a single target and shoot them as more of an intercept. Then the move is short and certain to the kill. I have become pretty deadly on these since doing that.

Interesting... I gotta practice this. I shoot a similar intercept on almost all quartering, shallow quartering, and trap targets (where I can use both eyes to track it) except the ones that are coming from underneath my barrels, on which, if I look under my barrels, I tend to jerk the gun... hence the reason I switched to swing-through on these kinds of shots. I will try it your/Will's way. Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

Worked on this method with Will during a lesson. Got to put it to use at NSC this past weekend and killed every trap style shot. Problem was I forgot how to hit the other targets.

Kidding aside, this method has worked great and have even begun hitting the 40 yard practice trap at NSC with consistency.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:14 am 
Diamond Grade

These shots (if you have the right set up and holdover) feel like they go right to the gun....there's no need to jerk or strongly react, the barrel is in a position that the clay finds it's way to.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:31 am 
Crown Grade

emgerrish wrote:
These shots (if you have the right set up and holdover) feel like they go right to the gun....there's no need to jerk or strongly react, the barrel is in a position that the clay finds it's way to.

Huge!

"the barrel is in a position that the clay finds it's way to."

Sounds simple, but takes practice but for it to work you must be relaxed and no excessive grip on the forearm.

Hold point is very important on low trap targets, especially if the trap is right in front of the stand and about 10 yds. out, full spring and never gets over about 4 1/2'. Experienced this type of target in the Main Event at Nationals and then the very same target 2 weeks ago at a registered shoot and in both instances it was a rabbit clay - hard to break.