ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Used Zoli XL EVO observations
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

I recently purchased a used Zoli XL EVO from Carlson Sporting Arms. Here are my thoughts:

First, dealing with Robert Carlson was a pleasure, as he was courteous, responsive, and timely. I highly recommend doing business with him.

Now for the gun (after roughly 750 rounds): The gun is heavy (roughly 8 and 1/2 pounds), but not unwieldy. I purchased this model because it is generally heavier than the Z-Sport. Build quality (checkering, wood to metal fit, etc.) is impeccable. Recoil is minimal (noticeably less that my CG Summit). Best triggers of any shotgun I've owned. Adjustable stock is easy to adjust. I haven't yet played with the interchangeable weighted side plate or the removable trigger group. The factory warranty remains for 7 years. I'm satisfied with my Guerini, but the Zoli is definitely a step up.

Post subject: Re: Used Zoli XL EVO observations
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

Congratulations on the new Zoli! I've got 3 of them (a Verona LX980, a Kronos, and a Z-Sport), but not a XL-EVO model. I don't think you can possibly buy more shotgun for the money. I was wondering how the removable side plates work. I have the BHB weight system for the stock and barrel for my Zoli Z-Sport, but I've never really used it. My gun balances right on the hinge pin and the weight is very similar to yours at 8 1/2 pounds. I guess the side weights makes it easy to do a quick adjustment in the field.

The removable trigger group is pretty easy. Just remember to release the hammers and put the safety on before you pull it out. I've pulled the trigger group on all of my Zolis to clean them, but it really doesn't get very dirty.

If you ever need service, which is doubtful, you will find Zoli USA to be outstanding.

Enjoy the new Zoli. Would love to see some photos.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:56 pm 
Crown Grade

If and when you decide to change the side plates, be aware that there is a flat spring that sits under the side plate. It is unrestrained, so with the plate off it can fall out if you tilt the gun. Not a big deal as you just drop it back in but if you’re aware of it you don’t have to wonder what that thing on the floor or where it came from.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:34 pm 
Presentation Grade

Ernest T wrote:
Congratulations on the new Zoli! I've got 3 of them (a Verona LX980, a Kronos, and a Z-Sport), but not a XL-EVO model. I don't think you can possibly buy more shotgun for the money. I was wondering how the removable side plates work. I have the BHB weight system for the stock and barrel for my Zoli Z-Sport, but I've never really used it. My gun balances right on the hinge pin and the weight is very similar to yours at 8 1/2 pounds. I guess the side weights makes it easy to do a quick adjustment in the field.

The removable trigger group is pretty easy. Just remember to release the hammers and put the safety on before you pull it out. I've pulled the trigger group on all of my Zolis to clean them, but it really doesn't get very dirty.

If you ever need service, which is doubtful, you will find Zoli USA to be outstanding.

Enjoy the new Zoli. Would love to see some photos.

Thanks. Quite a collection of Zolis!

The stock must be removed to change the weighted side plates which are held in place by a tight fit and spring tension. There is no play, and no visible signs the side plates are removable. Changing weights is not as quick as the Bilanx system.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:12 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I’m building a custom stock for one and I have to say it is a neat gun.

A plus 10 on the flat spring under the weights. I had the weights out while working on the inletting and noticed a spring was gone. I found it in the safe two days later. :)

I think the concept of weights is pretty sound. It was a 34” barrel and it felt really nice. And I’m too short for 34” barrels.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpenters-Custom-Gunstocks-LLC/378909012204503