ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kronos vs CG Summit vs Beretta 694
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:45 pm 
Utility Grade

I’m a new shooter looking to get my first 12ga to shoot 5 Stand and Sporting Clays with my son. I’ve been looking for a while and have narrowed my search to a new CG Summit, a new Beretta 694 or a used Kronos.

I like what I’ve read about Zoli and the Kronos. I know all are good guns, and way more than a new shooter may need, but how should I think about the Kronos relative to the Summit or the 694.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Kronos vs CG Summit vs Beretta 694
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

You have picked out some very nice guns that will last you a lifetime. Honestly you can not go wrong with any of them. This is like asking what is better Chevy or Ford. I think the deciding factor for you should be how does each of the gun feel, how do the fit you, how do they shoot, etc. Im sure at your local clay's range there are some CG's and Berettas, the Zoli might be harder to find but ask around see if people well let you mount there gun or shoot it. The one that feels the best and fits you the best is the best gun for you.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:56 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks, dmarsh. I’ve had a chance to handle the Summit and the 694 and both feel great. At least to me, a novice clay shooter. I’ve not been able to find a Kronos to handle, so that would require a leap of faith.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:29 am 
Field Grade

I shoot an ASE 90, Beretta 682 and a Zoli Kronos. The ASE is of course the top of the line handmade shotgun, but the 682 and Kronos are right there in quality. How Zoli gets away with building an action that is (almost?) identical to a Perazzi action is beyond me. I have shot a Summit and a 694 (they are great guns) but for the money you will pay for a used Zoli Kronos I don't think you will ever find a better shotgun for money spent...As for support Zoli USA is absolutely THE BEST with Jason and Norbert. They did a complete rebuild on my Kronos + set the triggers for .410 tubes for less than $300. It is like a completely NEW gun!!! 1cas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:29 am 
Presentation Grade

1casual wrote:
I shoot an ASE 90, Beretta 682 and a Zoli Kronos. The ASE is of course the top of the line handmade shotgun, but the 682 and Kronos are right there in quality. How Zoli gets away with building an action that is (almost?) identical to a Perazzi action is beyond me. I have shot a Summit and a 694 (they are great guns) but for the money you will pay for a used Zoli Kronos I don't think you will ever find a better shotgun for money spent...As for support Zoli USA is absolutely THE BEST with Jason and Norbert. They did a complete rebuild on my Kronos + set the triggers for .410 tubes for less than $300. It is like a completely NEW gun!!! 1cas

Zoli actions aren't that similar to Perazzi actions; I've owned and taken both apart. That said, between a Zoli Kronos, CG Summit, and Beretta 694, I think the Kronos has the best design and is closest in feel to my Perazzis. I will agree that Zoli USA service is excellent and reasonably priced.
In your price range, I'd also consider a few other guns:
First, a Verona LX980; it's basically an early Zoli Kronos imported by Verona before Zoli USA was formed. They tend to have better wood than current Kronos models and sell for a lot less.
Second, a Perazzi MT6; these are the forerunner of the current MX12 used with great success by the likes of Kim Rhode and George Digweed. The later MT6s have Type 4 forends and are mechanically identical to current MX12s.
Third, a Beretta 682. A proven design, with a lot of knowledge available on it. I think the fact that it has two screws holding the trigger plate to the receiver makes it sturdier than the newer 694. Frankly, I don't see the 694 as an upgrade over the 682.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:06 am 
Diamond Grade

I've had lots of shotguns over the past 10 years. I recently sold a Zoli Kronos to buy a Caesar Guerini Impact. I purchased the Impact because of the adjustable rib and comb because my main game is trap.

I am presently thinking of selling the Guerini and purchasing another Zoli Kronos. The Zoli is top quality in my opinion.

I've stayed away from Beretta shotguns because of reports of poor barrel regulation.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've got a Verona LX980, a Kronos, and a Z-Sport. Very few differences between the Verona LX980 and the Kronos as mentioned above. I think the Kronos is a little lighter and balances a little better for me, but if you can find a Verona LX980, they can be a really good buy.

My brother shoots CG. He has a Summit and an Invictus. I think the Invictus is a better comparison with the Kronos than the Summit, but you still get the high end features with the Zoli that you don't see even on the more expensive Invictus like a drop out trigger, etc..

I've shot both his CGs and I really like the Invictus. Almost as nice as my Zolis, but not quite there.

Zoli is also known to be a very soft shooting gun. If you get the chance, I highly recommend trying one.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:03 pm 
Diamond Grade

The Z is a whole ‘nother level of quality. Have not handled older Kronos but my Z mid rib was finished to the same quality as my K80.

Last edited by birdhunter39 on Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

viking wrote:
I've stayed away from Beretta shotguns because of reports of poor barrel regulation.

Humm have been shooting a Beretta O/U for a while and don't recall reading about poor Bbl regulations. :?

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:32 am 
Utility Grade

Thank you for the advice. For the Kronos, for sporting clays, 5-stand and perhaps some skeet should I go with 30” or 32” barrel?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:15 am 
Presentation Grade

gordonhurst wrote:
Thank you for the advice. For the Kronos, for sporting clays, 5-stand and perhaps some skeet should I go with 30” or 32” barrel?

I think 32" barrels are currently popular, but really, it's a personal decision that could vary from person to person and maybe even gun to gun. You should really try them both (preferably identical models), and see which one you like more.

I once had two that were identical except one was 29.5" and the other was 31.5". The 29.5" one swung perfectly for me; I broke 25 straight in trap the very first time I shot it, with a stock that didn't fit. I stupidly sold it because 31.5" barrels are more popular. The 31.5" barreled gun was a great gun, but in retrospect, it never felt quite as good (to me) as the 29.5" version. That said, my current main gun has 31.5" barrels, but is a different brand...so it varies from gun to gun.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:37 am 
Tournament Grade

I was lucky enough to find a used Kronos a couple of years ago. It took months of daily internet searching though. I settled on Zoli after shooting a variety of O/U's including the CG Summit and Beretta 692. My decision was made after a couple extended shooting sessions with a Zoli Z-Sport. The difference in recoil and handling was remarkable.

My previous gun, for several years, was a problematic semi-auto. It is such a breath of fresh air to now own such a fine shotgun.

I have extended the LOP to almost 16" with a thick microcell pad and spacer, and replaced the chokes with a couple of Mullers. The 32" barrel seems perfect.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:51 am 
Utility Grade

I can say from experience shoot all of them, it may take some effort and time to find ones to try, but it is certainly worth the effort. You will know which one is for you when you shoot it.

All of the guns you mention are quality guns so you won't go wrong. I agree with what others have said regarding Zoli's, they are a step up in my book. I shot a CG and liked it, but just never got in tune with it. I tried used Perazzi, Zoli, and Kolar. I ended up with the Kolar, but the Zoli was very close.

Enjoy the journey!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:14 am 
Field Grade

Keep an eye out for used Z Sports too. Sometimes they end up not too far from your price range.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:25 am 
Crown Grade

Have a friend that was looking to sell his mid rib Zoli sporter, 12 ga 32 inch. I look at it and he quoted me $4,500.

if you are interested I can see if still for sale at that price and get you some pics.

the gun was great, but for me it shot way high, but I got a little bit of the long goose neck thing going on :D .

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:21 pm 
Diamond Grade

What that's a crazy good price unless it's beat all to hell!

I put a standard stock on mine rather than the monte carlo and just raised the comb a little bit. Shot flat as could be for me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:01 pm 
Crown Grade

Gun is in great shape, his son used it for just about a year, shot for Lindenwood. Ended up he shot his old Blaser better, so the Zoli has just been sitting.

Let me find out and I'll post up if for sale.

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:00 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you again for all the feedback. Happy to report I just placed an order for a used 32” Kronos. Can’t wait to get to know it!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:28 am 
Field Grade

Congratulations on your purchase! Please post up about your impressions. I am having the same debate myself...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:44 pm 
Utility Grade

xsshooter wrote:
Have a friend that was looking to sell his mid rib Zoli sporter, 12 ga 32 inch. I look at it and he quoted me $4,500.

if you are interested I can see if still for sale at that price and get you some pics.

the gun was great, but for me it shot way high, but I got a little bit of the long goose neck thing going on :D .

PM sent