ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Question on wood to metal fit on Blaser F3.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

I do have a Blaser F3 for quite some time now and just recently i noticed that on my gun the ends of the receiver just behind the safety and just behind the trigger guard-rounded ends- do have a small gap between iron and wood.

Its not anything big but the iron sure does not meet any wood, you can easely put a piece of paper between. On every other contacts looks like wood meets the iron.

Is this normal ? Check on your guns and reply.

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: A Question on wood to metal fit on Blaser F3.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:59 pm 
Field Grade

I have attached picture (with translation) from designer of Blaser F3 - Sergey Popikov

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:00 am 
Tournament Grade

Where did you find that ? I think it's rare......very informative !! Thank you.

Now it arises some questions.........are these gaps left deliberately, especialy the ones at the rear, or they are just some kind of manufacturing flaws ?

Blaser says that their machinery is state of the art............i can't easely believe that these gaps are not there for some reason and they are just from laser cut tolerances.....can enyone enlighten us ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:47 am 
Field Grade

You can read the russian gun forum:
https://forum.guns.ru/forummessage/76/090560-19.html
through google translate - a lot of good information about Blaser F3

Gr shooter wrote:
Where did you find that ? I think it's rare......very informative !! Thank you.

Now it arises some questions.........are these gaps left deliberately, especialy the ones at the rear, or they are just some kind of manufacturing flaws ?

Blaser says that their machinery is state of the art............i can't easely believe that these gaps are not there for some reason and they are just from laser cut tolerances.....can enyone enlighten us ?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well, there is a theory that these gaps are parts of the design..........wood can swell from moisture, so it must have room to expand.

But again if it was properly fully treated inside and out it would be just fine, maybe the cost was higher.......i wouldn't mind for a bit more for a job like this on such a well made gun.

Thoughts please.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:55 pm 
Utility Grade

Gr shooter, I brought a newly acquired F3 SS to San Antonio earlier this year and had Andre give it a quick once-over. He removed the stock and cut some relief into the wood where the sketch above shows it's needed.
It appears as though the space between the stock and the receiver is there, most likely, to prevent damage to the wood from recoil or, perhaps, cyclic moisture content change in the wood. The rounded top and bottom of the tang and the ears of the stock that cover the receiver guts would likely behave like a wedge and split the stock (over time) from repeated recoil.
My F3 has grade 8 wood and I'd have been really sad if my stock cracked if the reliefs weren't sufficient. I'm glad Andre cut it for me.
If you ever remove your stock, you'll see a vertical bar with the threaded rod for tightening the stock. I think that bar is where the recoil is transferred into the stock during recoil.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

Aestus wrote:
Gr shooter, I brought a newly acquired F3 SS to San Antonio earlier this year and had Andre give it a quick once-over. He removed the stock and cut some relief into the wood where the sketch above shows it's needed.
It appears as though the space between the stock and the receiver is there, most likely, to prevent damage to the wood from recoil or, perhaps, cyclic moisture content change in the wood. The rounded top and bottom of the tang and the ears of the stock that cover the receiver guts would likely behave like a wedge and split the stock (over time) from repeated recoil.
My F3 has grade 8 wood and I'd have been really sad if my stock cracked if the reliefs weren't sufficient. I'm glad Andre cut it for me.
If you ever remove your stock, you'll see a vertical bar with the threaded rod for tightening the stock. I think that bar is where the recoil is transferred into the stock during recoil.

Mine was on vacation in SA a couple months ago and Andre recut mine also. A little gap there is correct.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:00 pm 
Diamond Grade

Barma that drawing is way cool!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:35 pm 
Field Grade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVl5Y_QO4yw

CZ CanvasBack Gold, 28/28"
B. Rizzini Round Body Sporter, 12/32"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:52 am 
Utility Grade

Very cool find!!!