ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: L4S vs XLR5
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:42 pm 
Field Grade

I have shot the L4S but not the XLR5. I am thinking I would like the XLR5 a bit more because of things like the extra weight, adjustable trigger, weights front and rear. What are opinions of those that gave shot both models?

Also the website is not clear or I missed it. I believe some of the XLR5 versions have normal wood, not the enhanced wood. Which versions have the normal wood?

Thanks for the responses.

Doc

Post subject: Re: L4S vs XLR5
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:13 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Are you referring to hunting guns (3 inch chamber) or target guns?

The only Triwood XLR5 is the Flat Rib https://fabarmusa.com/xlr5-velocity-fr/, the only Triwood L4S is the standard L4S Sporting and standard L4S Sporting Compact.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:34 pm 
Field Grade

Sporting versions. XLR5 FR and L4S standard sporting.

Comparison opinions of the two?

Doc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:01 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Doc090107 wrote:
Sporting versions. XLR5 FR and L4S standard sporting.

Comparison opinions of the two?

Doc

You'll do well to find a new XLR5 FR. As far as I know, due to the success of the L4 Sporting, only XLR5 FR Left Hand models are listed on the Fabarm USA website.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:59 am 
Field Grade

I shot both before I bought. The L4S seemed a little light and recoiled more then the XLR5. I ended up buying the XLR5 Compact flat rib. Let’s just say that it has been less than stellar and went back to them 3 times. Next time I’ll buy another Beretta.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

I did not have the luxury of shooting an XLR5 prior to buying, and the more reviews I read the more I was convinced the L4S sporing (standard) was the right way to go. I had a chance to buy an XLR5 Gryphon for not a whole lot more than the L4S. The L4S looks great with the red accents and handles very nicely. The overall design is a newer technology than the XLR5 and the only thing I gave up was the adjustable trigger, which is the least of my worries at this point. It is still an excellent trigger and a very reasonable pull. You can add weight to the front and back the same way as the XLR5, which I have, and the recoil is negligible, regardless of the weight difference. I also liked the way the forearm is attached, with the cap screw one with the forearm, keeping everything nice and tight. I did change out the recoil pad for a Kickeeze, which I prefer over the stock Fabarm's pad. My son has a Beretta A400 Sporting w/Kickoff and it is also a very nice gun, the (felt) recoil on the two is pretty close. Although I can appreciate nice wood, for my purposes the Triwood fake coloring looks perfectly fine, but if you want to upgrade you can go with the L4S Grey Sporting or Deluxe Sporting. It was just not worth the extra money for these visual features IMHO.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

I looked at both guns and wound up buying an XLR5 FR compact. I was lucky to find a new compact with a 30" barrel. I liked the adjustable trigger and the heavier weight. Sadly the L4S compact is only available in 28" barrel. Mine has not needed to go in for service, but the triwood is not wearing very well. Just from riding in my gun cart the finish is wearing off where the pistol grip rides in cradle. Pretty disappointing considering I have never had any wear in my Beretta's using the same cart. The oiled wood might be worth it just for durability, but it is a pretty steep price for that upgrade.