ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: N2 Ouchie
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:13 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I was cleaning my Syren Elos N2 last month, and took the chokes out to clean them, and while the chokes were out ran a soaked patch around the inside of the barrel that the chokes would otherwise cover. When doing that, I badly sliced my finger on the inside rim of the barrel, it was literally knife sharp. Has anyone else noticed this as a problem with their N2? MAJ

Post subject: Re: N2 Ouchie
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:51 am 
Diamond Grade

Not on a N2 but there are any number of sharply machined corners and edges on some of my guns. Not as many now that I no longer have to take blood thinners, but they're still there lying in wait.
:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:24 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Every other shotgun I have had/have, the choke threads were at the top of the barrel, so the barrel edge was milled smooth. On the N2 the threads are well into the barrel, which might be why the edge wasn't smoothed out. Safe to say I have learned a lesson. MAJ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:42 am 
Crown Grade

I once owned a Beretta SO with Briley Thin Wall CTs that left the edge of muzzle dangerously thin. MAJ, even though I did not get a bad cut like you did, I learned quickly to use a pistol size cleaning rod with a jag and a patch rather than my delicate digits.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:56 am 
Crown Grade

I also learned the hard way about running my fingers around various edges on guns.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:01 am 
Limited Edition

There are two schools of thought about cleaning under the chokes. Obviously, right? Some folks say you must. Some folks, including Beretta, say absolutely forbidden. I remove my chokes before every cleaning, about every 300 shots through each barrel. Clean the chokes. Clean the whole barrel. Relube the chokes and reinstall.

Sorry about the injury. It shouldn’t be like that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:54 pm 
Limited Edition

Just checked my N2 Sporting, the barrel edges are not sharp at all with the chokes out.
Don't think I could cut myself on them.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:04 pm 
Crown Grade

Auldthymer wrote:
There are two schools of thought about cleaning under the chokes. Obviously, right? Some folks say you must. Some folks, including Beretta, say absolutely forbidden. I remove my chokes before every cleaning, about every 300 shots through each barrel. Clean the chokes. Clean the whole barrel. Relube the chokes and reinstall.

What`s the reason not to clean beneath the chokes? Potential barrel thread damage?

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Well shoot justanotherjoe, I guess my N2 is just plain vicious. I do have that song I learned as a kid, the one that goes to the tune of Dixie, as an ear worm now "Oh I stuck my head in a little skunk's hole...." MAJ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:29 pm 
Limited Edition

Tidefanatic wrote:
Auldthymer wrote:

What`s the reason not to clean beneath the chokes? Potential barrel thread damage?

I guess so. Something about getting grit in the threads.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:07 pm 
Diamond Grade

I push a cotton patch against the threads and twist my way out keeping constant pressure. Seems to work.

Also I’ve owned some benellis that came with a choke wrench that had a thread cleaner at one end.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

birdhunter39 wrote:
I push a cotton patch against the threads and twist my way out keeping constant pressure. Seems to work.

That's what I was doing when I sliced and diced my finger on the inside barrel rim. MAJ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:31 am 
Limited Edition

MAJENKINS wrote:
birdhunter39 wrote:

That's what I was doing when I sliced and diced my finger on the inside barrel rim. MAJ

Yeah, I just use the bore brush and patches as usual to clean the threads.